Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Generic Domain Name Defense Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

wienerdog

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd contribute money to a legitamate fund for the defense of small time domain name holders against the megacorporations with their pseudo-trademark aggressions.

I'm in no position to set up or even judge such a fund. I'd be great if one the established people in the business with an good reputation could get behind it.

Domain Days 2024

Spinlock

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think there's a lot of threat to LEGITIMATE small-time domain holders from megacorporations. More of a threat from cybersquatters and domain speculators.

That said... look, I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous. I realize that people should pay more attention to re-registering their domain names, but good grief people...

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spinlock said:
Personally, I don't think there's a lot of threat to LEGITIMATE small-time domain holders from megacorporations. More of a threat from cybersquatters and domain speculators.

That said... look, I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous. I realize that people should pay more attention to re-registering their domain names, but good grief people...

Boy are you in the wrong place.. lol If I pay $60+ for a backorder I'll be asking alot more than $300. As far as the topic is concerned there are organizations that will represent your for free. In addition there are a couple of domain owner organizations aswell.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We can start the fund in my Paypal account...who wants to donate?

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spinlock said:
I understand that a lot of people are in the domain game to make money, and that makes sense to me. But there are ethics and there are ethics. Backordering a .org domain to hold it ransom for $300 or selling it to the highest bidder is ridiculous.

:doh:

Spinlock

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd get flak for that one.

Not everybody gets three thousand emails from Godaddy notifying them their domain name is about to expire, okay? There are a few people out there who go out of their way to offer a service to the public, and they lose money on it. It's not justice for them to lose a domain name because somebody wants to park it and make megabucks off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom