Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

German Members ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just curious as to what the domain/web market is like there in Germany. I can't understand what the predominant domain/language extension is...

I mean I see all these large sales for GermanWord.com, EnglishWord.de, GermanWord.de, IDNGermanWord.de, IDNGermanWord.com

so is it crazy there trying to find websites and figure out which is going to be the best choice to start a site with? just curious.

Domain Days 2024

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just you wait for the .eu, you'll have more choices ;)

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They speak Deutsch in Deutschland. .de is the favored. .com is a step down although still used. It's really simple to understand the reason idn's will take over.

Bücher is the correct way to spell books
Bucher is not.

The only reason you are seeing idns selling for more in german right now is also simple to understand. 70% of germans have firefox. Only 4% in Japan. IE7 will change this rapidly.

Browser Stats Link.

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why can't the Germans be happy with Buecher.de, they have to reform their language and get rid off those "umlaut"'s ie. ä, ö, ü,

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainMaster said:
Why can't the Germans be happy with Buecher.de, they have to reform their language and get rid off those "umlaut"'s ie. ä, ö, ü,

Lol, yes, and in the next 20 years, we in America may be speaking Chinese. :cheeky:

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
Lol, yes, and in the next 20 years, we in America may be speaking Chinese. :cheeky:

Sarcle, you never know ;)

P.S. The Soviet Union is DEAD, so don't let them rise again!

FreddyS

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
perhaps we will write in numbers, because those are universal. I really dont know what will happen with the IDN´s, its great for the users, but how do you type in a URL in Chinese characters? I really dont like that!
I have the German special characters on my keyboard, but not the French ones! The french border is only 20 miles away. IDN´s are limiting the internet, IDN´s are against cross boarder Information exchange.

Freddy

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Freddy, IDN-s can be linked, so even you can access them for one. Also IDNs if advertised , it will be for local markets only, where everyone has the "right keyboard". People also often mistype domain with the local character - I got a lot of IDNs with type-in traffic. So IDNs is good to have if you have i.e. bucher.de, still plenty of people will mistype "Bücher.de".

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainMaster said:
LOL. Are you serious?

timm

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
70% of germans have firefox.

according to my stats (from 300k uniques german traffic)
msie: 84,23 %
firefox: 13,3 %
opera: 1,59 %
safari 0,8 %

The only way for german IDNs to be valuable is to also own the non-IDN version, i.e. bücher.de AND buecher.de. Nobody will ever develop a german IDN when he is not also in posession of the non-IDN.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
timm said:
according to my stats (from 300k uniques german traffic)
msie: 84,23 %
firefox: 13,3 %
opera: 1,59 %
safari 0,8 %

The only way for german IDNs to be valuable is to also own the non-IDN version, i.e. bücher.de AND buecher.de. Nobody will ever develop a german IDN when he is not also in posession of the non-IDN.

I think a counterexample invalidates your claim:

übersetzer.de

ubersetzer.de

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
timm said:

Domain's are worth money because the have traffic, and revenue. And they already do.

This will change also with time, as soon as more and more browser support becomes available, and consumer awareness grows.

IE7 is right around the corner.

vtrader said:
I think a counterexample invalidates your claim:

übersetzer.de

ubersetzer.de

Yes, it would be this one...

uebersetzer.de

&

übersetzer.de

And they are owned by seperate people. Remember this sale? $23,000 for the idn....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom