Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Get rid of the Harper minority gov't next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
because I just reg'd coalitiongovernment dot ca

Time to do some development this weekend!!!

Domain Days 2024

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
because I just reg'd coalitiongovernment dot ca

Time to do some development this weekend!!!

Man, my 2008election dot ca might get a second chance :lol:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, my 2008election dot ca might get a second chance :lol:

I've got the plural version - so here is to hoping! Mine did alright during the last election cycle so one more would just be a bonus.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what a joke - just shows how desperate the Liberals and other parties are to take power away from the Conservatives, and so soon after an election. I think most public opinion will be against a coalition govt, just adds more uncertainty to uncertain times.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what a joke - just shows how desperate the Liberals and other parties are to take power away from the Conservatives, and so soon after an election. I think most public opinion will be against a coalition govt, just adds more uncertainty to uncertain times.

Didn't pay attention in civics classes?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just reg'd ShipOfFools.ca and will put that trio's picture up there if this "coalition" happens.:)

SourGrapes wasn't available or I think it would also be appropriate.;)

replic8te

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
considering SinkingShipOfFoolsTakingUsAllDownWithThem.ca and putting an adsense template site for 'panama real estate'

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't pay attention in civics classes?

What's a civics class?

Couldn't help myself, I had to give my two cents about this coalition idea. Dion becoming prime minister after his own party was ready to turf him after the last election, and the Liberals/NDP/Bloq Quebecois joining forces to be Canada's government. Can it get any more ridiculous?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm simply amazed so many Canadians have little to no clue how a parliamentary system works. You see this disengagement from reality far more from Conservative voters than others...

What we are seeing is how a parliamentary system should work in a minority position. Parties able to form a grouping holding more MPs can form government. There was nothing stopping the Cons from reaching across the isle and asking some NDPers or Liberals MPs to support them, but they chose confrontation with three parties with more MPs in the House. Harper in 2004 had no problem teaming up with the Bloc but now his team are being hypocrites of the largest order by decrying the others for doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

Europeans under parliamentary systems see this all the time. All this talk about a "coup", "undemocratic" etc is pure garbage and childish. It was so obvious the Harper crew would try to scare voters with language like that. Then they drag in the "unCanadian" tripe about the flags. What's worse is some otherwise educated Canadians have started repeating it like it's the truth - so sad. :disappointed:

I'll make it real simple for the Conservatives who still refuse to get it - we elect MPs. In the absence of an outright majority, the party that has the most MPs either from their own party, or as a coalition can form government. We DON'T vote for Prime Ministers. The PM is merely the leader of the party or coalition with the most MPs.

And civics classes are educational classes that teach young Canadians how our government works. Sadly in most parts of Canada these classes have been cut, or cut back to such a degree that most graduating Canadians no longer really understand how our government really works. Right now is prime example of that.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Harper teamed with the bloq on a vote, not to form a government. This is different.

I'm not big on any party, but the idea of the Liberals/NDP/Bloq teaming up is crazy. These are three separate political parties with different ideas, including one separatist party, and this group is going to run the country. Maybe it's within the law but it's pretty rare, and now isn't the right time for it IMO. Stephane Dion as PM? Then having him replaced by whoever wins the Liberal leadership in May? 3 to 4 more years of a coalition govt? Might be interesting to watch but I don't think it's in the best interests of the country.

And you can't blame people for being confused because this kind of thing rarely happens in Canadian politics - the whole idea has caught a lot of people off guard and they need time to make sense of it.

I'll admit the Conservatives seem to have asked for a backlash from the other parties with their last economic update. My guess is most public opinion will be against this coalition idea. Hopefully they can push this back to a January vote so there is more time to work out a different solution.

Last edited:

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not big on any party, but the idea of the Liberals/NDP/Bloq teaming up is crazy. These are three separate political parties with different ideas, including one separatist party, and this group is going to run the country. Maybe it's within the law but it's pretty rare, and now isn't the right time for it IMO. Stephane Dion as PM? Then having him replaced by whoever wins the Liberal leadership in May? 3 to 4 more years of a coalition govt? Might be interesting to watch but I don't think it's in the best interests of the country.

I would love to see the coalition successfully take power. Harper put politics ahead of the needs of the Country with the Conservatives economic statement. It had so many bullets in it, it had no choice but to be shot down.

I agree it would seem wrong that Dion becomes prime minister, however, the Cabinet that would be formed in this coalition could be the dream team that would never be under normal party politics.

I do believe Harper is going to call an election. It's the only way he has a shot at retaining power at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom