Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Getting Listed with DMOZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are there any clear criteria to get listed with www.Dmoz.com . I have tried numerous times, and never got listed.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you have to do is be patient and keep on praying :)
It is a big pain to get listed there

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Are there any clear criteria to get listed with www.Dmoz.com . I have tried numerous times, and never got listed.

They only mention some guidelines (start here- http://dmoz.org/add.html) Nobody outside DMOZ really knows what happens behind the scenes for them to pick Site1 over Site2, assuming both follow the guidelines perfectly.

LazyD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its really up to the person who manages the area you want to submit to,some sections don't even have editors.Some just become them to get there sites in there,and don't add the competitions.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blarian, I did read the guidelines, however, I guess the "behind the scenes" is what I'm interested in. I actually applied awhile back to be an administrator, however, since I owned web-sites and was honest, I didn't get accepted.

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Your site has to have the quality to be listed. If it gets listed there, your site gains a lot popularity and value.

D

dragonhawk

Yea, it takes forever to be listed there. 3 years ago, it took about 3 weeks to get a site listed there. These days, I think it takes much longer... coz I've submitted a a few sites about 2 months ago now and they're still not listed :(

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dragonhawk said:
Yea, it takes forever to be listed there. 3 years ago, it took about 3 weeks to get a site listed there. These days, I think it takes much longer... coz I've submitted a a few sites about 2 months ago now and they're still not listed :(

How do you know it's due to time, and not the fact your site has been declined?

keithsvfm

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got luck recently. I got one of my sites listed in just 2 months, but I have others that I submitted 4 months ago and still no word.

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It took me 3 months to get my site listed, and that was a year ago. I tried submitting a few sites 6 months ago, and they still arent listed.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there are tens of thousands of volunteer "editors" managing categories.. some are good and honest...then there is a good portion as well that are barely active and very selfish.

it is up to the editor of whatever category to either accept or decline your listing.

if your site has unique content and it is one of a kind then you will likely get accepted.. if there is even one or two similar sites to yours then what good is your site? it will of course get declined.

it is all about quality... if you have something good, it should definitely be on dmoz.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it is all about quality... if you have something good, it should definitely be on dmoz.

Mike, I have seen some low quality sites at Dmoz.

Your site has to have the quality to be listed. If it gets listed there, your site gains a lot popularity and value.

Apparently they have an affect on Google and some of the other major search engines.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm listed

and don't recall doing anything special :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:

Mike, I have seen some low quality sites at Dmoz.

Apparently they have an affect on Google and some of the other major search engines.

agreed. there is a ton of crappy sites on dmoz -- and it is the job of the editor of that category to go through em every so often.. and if site/s outdated... has irrelevant content and so on... then it needs to be removed of course.

it's impossible to keep everything perfect but it's a good resource... lots of people volunteer a lot of their time to keep it organized and with the latest and most useful information available.

a lot of search engines use the free dmoz database of web sites, google is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom