Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Global Editing of Contacts costs you 60 days!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have (now had...) been moving domains to GD for a couple months now as they expire with their current registrar. I noticed a number of domains, particularly those moved from eNom - BulkRegister don't match the field sizes at GD. Consequently, the Admin, Billing and Tech contact info is often garbled. Apparently, GD doesn't have the coding in place to copy a record from the previous registrar without manual editing.

I wanted to use a global tool to edit all the contact records at one time so that all my domains, those recently transferred and those that have been at GD for awhile, had identical, proper contacts info.

Imagine my surprise to find out that using their tool would automatically locks ALL my domains for a 60-day period at GD, regardless of how long they have already been at the registrar. It is my screwup that I didn't check and immediately correct each record manually when they transferred in. Yet it is GD's inability to import the record correctly that would cost me a 60-day lock should I choose to correct the WHOIS.

I emailed GD Support about this, asking how I could edit the records that GD was not able to import properly. The reply (from Jeff P.) said there is no way around it. I have nearly 400 more domains I was planning on moving over as part of a consolidation but don't want to have to rewrite every record the day it gets to GD.

Has anyone found a workaround for this? Surely GoDaddy is not so far back in the dark ages they can't figure out how to import a record properly, much less, allow contact info to change without a 60-day lock.

Domain Days 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I noticed you're moving domains to GoDaddy, as opposed to away from GoDaddy. So the transfer lock of 60 days is legit.
What's not legit is the way GoDaddy locks down domains when the contact info changes as much as an email.

Last edited:

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know there is a 60 day rule at any new registrar. My concern was regarding the editing of contact info puts in place another 60 day lock.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Yes, any time you edit the contact info it locks it for 60 days. It's the Bob Parsons Special.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can he legally (or via ICANN) do that? Hold a name hostage because someone moves or changes email, phone, tech contacts or whatever?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When you transfer domains to GD you agreed to its terms and conditions. It's in the very small print.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apparently. Hopefully many will be warned off here.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought all members would know about that godaddy practice by now. That's one reason why they suck :D

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if by chance you are selling a domain thru netsol and the domain is currently @ godaddy, just ask netsol to call them, worked for me in the past and entertaining to watch godaddy submit to netsol...it could be that godaddy knows they don't have a right to do it, you just have to pressure them.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, SDS, I didn't know. I was happy with BulkRegister until eNom took over and fu..ed everything up. So I had to start looking around. I considered Moniker but they have gotten away from the registrar end in favor of other business under Oversee.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Not sure why you were not happy at eNom. All you need is a reseller account. They are rock solid in all their services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom