Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Global name rights covers typos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzzme

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi,
if a company has global domain name rights can it claims a domain name thats a typo of their domain name?
please help
thx

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can? Yes.

Will? That depends. :)

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends.
Can youtube.com claim tube.com ? It depends too.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi,
if a company has global domain name rights can it claims a domain name thats a typo of their domain name?
please help
thx

What exactly do you mean by "global domain name rights" ?.
DG

¿Qué es exactamente lo que se entienda por "nombre de dominio mundial de derechos"?.
DG

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's a blatant typo like gooogle.com or yahooo.com, then of course, it's reasonable to expect that these would be enforced. If it's something googgle.com, it's borderline. It all just depends, and of course it depends how you're using it.

Common sense should prevail...

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's something googgle.com, it's borderline.
Actually the "borderline" would be goggle.com which is BTW not owned by Google.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. What's "borderline" about the word "goggle?" "Goggle" in my opinion is NOT borderline. It's a dictionary word and that's the reason I didn't use it as an example. It's not a typo, it's a word in and of itself. Google would struggle to go after "goggle.com" because of the fact it's a dictionary word AND because of the way it's being used.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. What's "borderline" about the word "goggle?" "Goggle" in my opinion is NOT borderline. It's a dictionary word and that's the reason I didn't use it as an example. It's not a typo, it's a word in and of itself. Google would struggle to go after "goggle.com" because of the fact it's a dictionary word AND because of the way it's being used.
Its a borderline because if they put a search window on it they lose it right away. Googgle is no broderline at all, its a nobrainer...

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Common sense should prevail...

Yeah... right. I find there is no common sense with many domainers.

It's a dictionary word

[I will be directly harsh here (for effect and in hopes it sticks in the brains of domainers)]

[harsh]This is one of the weakest arguments ever in trying to defend a domain in regards to a TM. Do you kow how many "dicrtionary" words are trademarked???? Do you know how many decisions were in favor of the TM holder of a "dictionary" word? Come on, you have to do better than that if you hope to defend a domain registration. This argument only works if the word is DESCRIPTIVE of what the content supports. I wish domainers would learn the difference between "generic" and "descriptive". It amazes after all the discussions in the domaining circles that people are not learning. [/ harshness over]

Usage plays a very important part in determining bad faith. This includes typos too. Typosquatting IS cybersquatting, it doesn;t matter what anyone thinks or what their opinions are, all that matters is what WIPO and the courts have to say. (and they say it is bad in case you were wondering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom