Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Go Daddy Triples Auction Fees to 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pretty hefty considering they don't handle the sale at all other than the service itself

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Reasons that would justify this increase:
Maybe they are going to hire a few more GoDaddy Girls... :pound:
Maybe they are going to get a 1-800 support line?
Maybe they are going release some new renewal codes that actually work?
or
Maybe they are trying to push everyone to sign up to showcasemanager.com :)

:yo:

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There has never been a better time to signh up at showcasemanager an avoid commssion fees on domain sales.

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/06/13/go-daddy-triples-auction-fees-to-15/

-=DCG=-

Adam do you still work for Godaddy? I cancelled all auction listings (not by this post) just better opportunities though I do keep a strong amount of names with them. Have you ever considered a registrar? You have very strong supporters! and ShowcaseManager.com is nice!

maxmn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
15% is the most expensive commission on market now !
Godaddy will lose many customers when they do that.

Other cheaper services:
sedo: 10%
bido: 9%

Dorkside

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Other cheaper services:
sedo: 10%
bido: 9%

I think it's worth noting that GoDaddy is still cheaper than Sedo for smaller sales because Sedo charges a minimum of $50 for fees.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam do you still work for Godaddy? I cancelled all auction listings (not by this post) just better opportunities though I do keep a strong amount of names with them. Have you ever considered a registrar? You have very strong supporters! and ShowcaseManager.com is nice!

Do you really think he would make this announcement if he still worked for GD?

What other service is promoting your domains more then GD? The traffic which flows to the aftermarket auctions from the main site must be huge so you have to say its justified. Plus they also have to pay for the TV ad campaigns they've been doing in OZ lol.

Last edited:

Dividendinvestor

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do like ShowcaseManager.com however i do have some concerns about it. Forgive me for being a newbie but i do have legitimate questions.

1) It seems I'm able to list a domain that i don't even own. There's no verification process involved when listing a domain. what would happen if say you own and list for example cloudcomputing.co and you list the .com version by accident for say $100 and someone commits to buy it? Wouldn't you be obligated to somehow come up with the .com version? How would that screw things up?
2) There is no FAQ section on the site.
3) They lack serious email support. For example i had sent 3 different emails asking something and didn't get one response! What if i have a problem with a transaction and need support and nobody responds?
4) If i sell a domain through showcasemanager how is the transaction completed since my domain is NOT parked there? Would i not need a third party such as Escrow.com to make sure each party gets whats coming to them (buyer + seller)?? If so, then in reality you do not keep 100% of the sale price and it may turn out to be more expensive than say GoDaddy's auction listings service.
5) Since showcasemanager is, Thus far, relatively unkown it would be harder at this point in time to sell a domain compared to the more popular sites. Plus given the concerns i outlined above a visitor to the site may be hesitant in doing business through such a medium.

This is why i continue to list my domains through other sites even though i will be paying a commission. Sometimes a commission is worth it because if you have any problems or questions to ask your registrar you know you will get email support and you know that you will get paid or get your domain. You will also have a smoother transaction without the need of a third party escrow service. If i sell a domain at one site i will just cancel the listing at the other. Sometimes a 10% or so commission will go a long way in a smooth and headache free transaction.

Just my opinions here.

Eric

Last edited:

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Concerning because when a market leader does this, it gives others permission to follow suit, even if they don't do so right away, or even if they raise theirs only a little to still stay under.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Concerning because when a market leader does this, it gives others permission to follow suit, even if they don't do so right away, or even if they raise theirs only a little to still stay under.

Sedo has already raised theirs starting July 1st to 15%.

-=DCG=-

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i am all for new marketplaces.. however the name showcasemanager is just non descript... showcase.com for sure.. but sending clients to showcasemanager just does not gell. i could understand if it was a management backend, but not good for consumer facing frontend..am i wrong

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i am all for new marketplaces.. however the name showcasemanager is just non descript... showcase.com for sure.. but sending clients to showcasemanager just does not gell. i could understand if it was a management backend, but not good for consumer facing frontend..am i wrong

Then you guys just don't get it, is sedo or tdnam or afternic decsriptive to an end user?

It's about getting eyeballs through advertisining, evenb google and yahoo are non descriptive.

So far over 600 people are saving commisssions of 15% for a mere $69, they seem to get it.

-=DCG=-

I

impactadmin

I do like ShowcaseManager.com however i do have some concerns about it. Forgive me for being a newbie but i do have legitimate questions.

1) It seems I'm able to list a domain that i don't even own. There's no verification process involved when listing a domain. what would happen if say you own and list for example cloudcomputing.co and you list the .com version by accident for say $100 and someone commits to buy it? Wouldn't you be obligated to somehow come up with the .com version? How would that screw things up?
2) There is no FAQ section on the site.
3) They lack serious email support. For example i had sent 3 different emails asking something and didn't get one response! What if i have a problem with a transaction and need support and nobody responds?
4) If i sell a domain through showcasemanager how is the transaction completed since my domain is NOT parked there? Would i not need a third party such as Escrow.com to make sure each party gets whats coming to them (buyer + seller)?? If so, then in reality you do not keep 100% of the sale price and it may turn out to be more expensive than say GoDaddy's auction listings service.
5) Since showcasemanager is, Thus far, relatively unkown it would be harder at this point in time to sell a domain compared to the more popular sites. Plus given the concerns i outlined above a visitor to the site may be hesitant in doing business through such a medium.

This is why i continue to list my domains through other sites even though i will be paying a commission. Sometimes a commission is worth it because if you have any problems or questions to ask your registrar you know you will get email support and you know that you will get paid or get your domain. You will also have a smoother transaction without the need of a third party escrow service. If i sell a domain at one site i will just cancel the listing at the other. Sometimes a 10% or so commission will go a long way in a smooth and headache free transaction.

Just my opinions here.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your above comments. We never view comments and opinions as something negative towards us because with any business there are always areas to improve on. That is what we want to do. Take all comments, build on them and improve no matter what marketplace it is. We want to provide the best possible service to our members and all customers in general to provide a marketplace above and beyond. Answers to your comments are below:

1) No system really verifies the domain ownership completely. We have thousands of names throughout all marketplaces and I can assure you not all domains are updated and verified to be in our ownership. Domains that are sold in one marketplace continues to be listed in others, domains we used to own but were still on a domain list of ours are still added to marketplaces because it is hard to keep track of all domains when you are dealing with hundreds or thousands. We have had issues with domains listed at Sedo where a transaction took place but in the end we could not complete the transaction because the domain was not owned by us any more.

Not one marketplace is 100% accurate in their names listed. The only person being hurt in this is the seller because they will start a transaction for a domain that isn't theirs and in the end the transaction wont be completed because there will be no confirmation of the domain being transferred over if the seller doesn't actually have it in their possession. We will do our very best in determining domains that are not owned by the seller however it cannot be done 100% as domain lists and additions become outdated overtime.

2) FAQ is being added over the next 48 hours. We are putting together a very informative FAQ section to help answer all questions.

3) The email support is there and will always be there as well as on the forum. The forum provides one more avenue to quick and speedy support where as other marketplaces provide just email support. I can assure you your emails with not go without a response. We did have some email issues in the last 2 weeks that have been since resolved as it was a server issue. Again any marketplace you deal with doesn't provide email support within an hour or sometimes 24 hours. We have waited days to receive responses before on our email support. However that doesn't make it right. We are working towards providing the best support we can as we understand the essence of great support when it is needed during a transaction.

4) The domain does not need to be parked at a specific marketplace in order for it to be sold on a smooth process. The internal system will handle a sale up to $200. Anything higher will be put through an Escrow system. Escrow.com is the leading service in this field as they have the proper procedures and security for large transactions to be completed securely. Our system will still stand as the system to smoothly move the process along and will need to be updated by the buyer and seller along the way. For example; after the offer is accepted the buyer will need to make payment by going through our secure escrow.com link and complete funding. Once the funds are sent to Escrow.com, the buyer will then update the process in ShowcaseManager.com by choosing the option as Funds sent. The seller will then transfer the domain and update the status as domain transferred within in their account. Once the buyer confirms receipt of the domain Escrow.com can then release the funds to the seller and the transaction is completed by confirming the sale through ShowcaseManager.com.

5) We have not said to stop listing your domains in other marketplaces. ShowcaseManager.com is one more place you and showcase your domains and increase your exposure. If you happen to sell some through ShowcaseManager you save the commission and as result have more funds in your pocket. You may be OK with paying the commission which is fine as many are, however there are also some that would be excited knowing that if they sold a domain for $1000, they can keep it all instead of paying $100-$300 in commissions.

If you have made up in your mind you want $1000 minimum for a domain you are selling you have to take into consideration commissions.
For example;

If you list on Showcasemanager.com with a 0% commission you can list your domain for exactly $1000.
If you list on Sedo.com with a commission of 15% you will need to list your domain for exactly $1150.
Afternic.com 20% - List your domain for $1200.

That is a smart way of getting exactly what you want for the domain, it is also added exposure for domains because it is listed in all areas.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then you guys just don't get it, is sedo or tdnam or afternic decsriptive to an end user?

It's about getting eyeballs through advertisining, evenb google and yahoo are non descriptive.

So far over 600 people are saving commisssions of 15% for a mere $69, they seem to get it.

-=DCG=-

As a domainer, I get it. For Sure.

SEDO and others are non-descript for a reason. It allows movement of there business within an industry, or into other industries.

The concept of ShowcaseManager is ok. its the Manager Part that I dont get...

IT would would like calling it DomainNameSalesManagementSystem.com - It leans towards the Domainer and not the consumer.

All I am saying is that ShowcaseManager is a great name for backend, it for me does not lend itself to front end. Anyway its just my thoughts.. I like Generic branding.

Last edited:

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It changed yesterday, flat 10%, $5 min.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As for reasons for the price increase, Godaddy was recently sold to a private equity firm, which likely reevaluted all prices and all aspects of the business.

If GoDaddy gives good exposure to retail customers, 15% is high, but not extreme. I, myself offered to pay 10% to anyone on Shrewd.com.

I never looked that hard, but most of Godaddy's suggested names in the past were not even worth looking at to me.

On the bright side, if the higher prices elimate some of the weak names, the decent names would get more exposure. eBay did this years ago eliminating almost free listings to get rid of near-spam auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom