Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GoDaddy.com pls stop this non-sense!

• Thread starter Deleted member 4749
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 4749

Everytime I buy a domain that is registered with godaddy I know It's going to be a pain in the a$$.

GoDaddy imposes 60 day transfer resriction on every domain that you push from one godaddy account to another. So when I buy a domain that is registered with godaddy and get it transferred from seller's godaddy account to my godaddy account I have to wait 60 more days to be allowed to transfer it to my registrar of choice which is currently eNom.

Now why is this 60 day transfer restriction is in place?

1. To newbies GoDaddy tells that it's ICANN rule when in fact it is not.
2. To others they tell that this is a security feature which make no sense for the following reasons:
a. If it was a good security feature other registrars would have it in place too. No any other registrar has it. Even NetSol doesn't!
b. It has no effect on security. If it does, then what exactly does it do? Bring it on, there is no security impact because the domain can still be transfered freely within GoDaddy!

Not only GoDaddy causes enormous inconvinience by keeping this rule in place, it also forces you to renew your domains with them when they expire at a higher rate than you can get them renewed trough other registrars because you cannot transfer your domains to the registrar of your choice for 60 days. It also conflicts with fair competition ethics I think.

I guess GoDaddy should remove the restriction to stop this unfair trade!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have spoken to top management about that and their view is that it becomes a new registration so the way they interpret the rules it requires a 60 day no transfer lock. They say the other registrars are not understanding that technically it is in fact a new regsitration since the ownership changed. Personally I tend to agree with them on the issue but not positive about it being correct.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have pushed domains from one GD account to another,without this problem.

maybe the domain which you purchased,was within the original "60 day period",for "new registrations".......which all registrars enforce on transfers.

D

Deleted member 4749

RealNames said:
I have spoken to top management about that and their view is that it becomes a new registration so the way they interpret the rules it requires a 60 day no transfer lock. They say the other registrars are not understanding that technically it is in fact a new regsitration since the ownership changed. Personally I tend to agree with them on the issue but not positive about it being correct.

"Account change" and "new registration" are totally different things. "Account change" doesn't even nessesarily mean "ownership change".

If that was in fact a "New Registration", then ICANN would put an official restriction on it. There is no restriction and it seems like this GoDaddy rule doesn't do any good to anyone except GoDaddy that uses this mean to force you to hold your domain for 60 more days and renew it with them if it expires during the 60 day period. It is in my view what is called "bad faith".

I believe GoDaddy should stop this non-sense.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that. That sucks.

I was going to register a domain at godaddy for a client the otherday, but its insane. Have you tried creating a new account while registering a domain?. It's like a huge maze. They keep pushing you to order hosting and other services. I gave up after like 10 minutes, and registered the domain somewhere else.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blink's statement is 100% and I totally agree with his opinion.

Godaddy dropped 2 domain names of mine they were "protecting" in this manner because I refused to pay them renewal after they refused to transfer them.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:

I disagree with this. I've dealt with NetSol for a couple of
years and even encountered the time they did this as well.

Eventually they modified their account that removed this
stumbling block and made all their domain name record
changes free of charge.

How could the people at Go Daddy say NetSol, for example,
doesn't understand this technically when they've been the
first and the longest? Surely they based some of their
models and ideas from them as well...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
davezan1 said:
I disagree with this....

Did not mean to imply I agree with the 60-day lock policy. But do undersatnd why GD/WW is saying in their interpretation they are required to do so and others are doing it wrongly as a push does in fact involve a change of registrant also. IMO the 60-day lock upon ownership change should not be required at all and should be removed as an ICANN rule.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainMonkeys and Aplus.net/Names4Ever are two others that do this to me.
GoDaddy isnt alone as far as that goes.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Did not mean to imply I agree with the 60-day lock policy. But do undersatnd why GD/WW is saying in their interpretation they are required to do so and others are doing it wrongly as a push does in fact involve a change of registrant also. IMO the 60-day lock upon ownership change should not be required at all and should be removed as an ICANN rule.

That's okay, RealNames. Actually I disagree with Go Daddy's
stand on it, not the ICANN-mandated 60-day lock.

Although I'm not sure, I think the 60-day lock was enacted
because registrars complained to ICANN that they're paying
too much for too many transfers having taken place at the
same time during that moment.

M

mole

GoDaddy will deny transfers out to other registrars 80% of the time through some procedural trick.

With Godaddy, you need to read the fine print with a NASA intergalatic telescope.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
DomainMonkeys and Aplus.net/Names4Ever are two others that do this to me.
GoDaddy isnt alone as far as that goes.
Hey man,
how are you?
- Jordan

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Jordan,

I'm doing just great.
Been away for a long time, huh?

I took a looooooooooong vacation.

Went to Vancouver, New York City, Vermont, New Jersey, Massachusetts, North Carolina, California, and Texas to name a few.
I think there was more though...

But I'm back, in full force! Back to work.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
With Godaddy, you need to read the fine print with a NASA intergalatic telescope.
[Off topic]
LOL! Most professional telescopes nowadays (e.g. those at NASA) are not really optical in nature and therefore "images" not viewable to human eyes. :D
[/off topic]

Hey

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
Wow, I didn't know that. That sucks.

I was going to register a domain at godaddy for a client the otherday, but its insane. Have you tried creating a new account while registering a domain?. It's like a huge maze. They keep pushing you to order hosting and other services. I gave up after like 10 minutes, and registered the domain somewhere else.

I agree it's way to complicated to buy a domain name their , and for some reason to me the form that you have to fill out takes like 15 minutes i just left them and now use namecheap or register fly :charming:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom