Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Godaddy.com threatening me

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacbob

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from godaddy.com that my domain dodaddy.com is an infringement on their name and want me to give it up or suffer the consequenses. Can they do this? I sent them an e-mail telling them they can purchase dodaddy.com for 25,000. what else should i do?
ty, vacbob:confused:

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by vacbob
I received a letter from godaddy.com that my domain dodaddy.com is an infringement on their name and want me to give it up or suffer the consequenses. Can they do this? I sent them an e-mail telling them they can purchase dodaddy.com for 25,000. what else should i do?
ty, vacbob:confused:

Ouch! My main concern here is your last 'statement (the part concerning the $25,000)! In my opinion, this COULD be construed as "bad faith" ... as I'm sure "GoDaddy" is TM'd. For my two cents, I wish you had posted here PRIOR to sending this e-mail "offer". I'm curious as to how the legal experts here will interpret this.
Good Luck.

PS. I ain't no lawyer! :)

mcom1999

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
basically the only thing they can do is file UDRP which will take months and some money for them.

I would be familar with previous UDRP cases (do a google search) and see which types of cases win and what some common factors are.

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy has won a few UDRP decisions with WIPO: see http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0570.html and http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0568.html

Using the name to direct visitors to a pop-up site isn't going to win you points with a panel. If you don't defend, they could get a result within 45-90 days (depending on whether use WIPO again or go to the quicker National Arbitration Forum).

There are readers on this board who can suggest some defenses too.

vacbob

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The domain is for sale and that popup is from the place i have it parked, directnic.com

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>>vacbob: I sent them an e-mail telling them they can purchase dodaddy.com for 25,000.

Not a clever move indeed. Sorry, but damage done already, I must say.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The domain is for sale and that popup is from the place i have it parked, directnic.com

WHY??
Even a 'statement such as this CAN hurt your possible defense ... please read the posts before "commenting" further. We're trying to help you. Again, I defer to the legal experts here at this time.
Good Luck.

Crispy

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Cool why dont you post the exact letter you sent them here.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crispy
Cool why dont you post the exact letter you sent them here.

I didn't send any letter! Vacbob replied to them in an e-mail, as noted above. I, too, would like to see this e-mail ... as, again, that $25,000 "offer" could very much work against him/her IMO.
Thanks.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the past, Godaddy has purchased gray area names for $1500, the cost of a WIPO action.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never understand how these discussions can occur in an open forum, with such details.

Wouldn't this have been better:

I received a letter from ***.com that my domain ***/.com is an infringement on their name and want me to C&D. Can they do this? I sent them an e-mail telling them they can purchase ***.com for a lot of $$$. what else should i do?

Do you not think that someone from godaddy or any other concerned company has a user name(s) on this forum?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The forum is good for opinions and suggestions, but never take legal advice from a non-lawyer if you are considering an action. Seek a lawyer.

vacbob

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I checked on the trademark date it is September 19, 2000
I purchased dodaddy.com in april of 2000.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I checked on the trademark date it is September 19, 2000
I purchased dodaddy.com in april of 2000.

Application status counts, if they were actively using the TM.

That's why you need a lawyer, if you are going to proceed, etc...

Maybe of the lawyers that frequents dnforum can comment on the validity of the "pending" status of a TM, and the weight it holds.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DoDaddy.com? Just give it to them. The name sucks, and it'd be next to impossible to convince anyone that you have a legit reason to use it, especially after pointing it to a popup site and asking for such a ridiculously stupid amount of money for it.

GoDaddy has been using that name long before the trademark registration was approved, so it has an earlier common law trademark for that period.

Now all we need is for you to admit that you got it solely to hope to profit off of typos (typosquatting) or solely to sell to godaddy.com.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If you wanted to typosquatt with a name that had some validity, you could have registered ToDaddy.com(available). more typo possibilities than dodaddy.

ToDaddy.com, could have been a site where the coeds at coeds.tv wrote open letters home "to daddy"

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are some trademark owners who will not hesitate to bring a UDRP case against a registrant who asks for any money, let alone $500, in return for a domain name. I don't have a problem with reimbursing registration fees, but after a while, you get tired of reimbursing $8.95 for a name that you don't want in the first place, but don't want anyone else to have either.

You're better off not asking for $500 - just my own opinion though.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by namedropper
DoDaddy.com? Just give it to them. The name sucks, and it'd be next to impossible to convince anyone that you have a legit reason to use it, especially after pointing it to a popup site and asking for such a ridiculously stupid amount of money for it.

GoDaddy has been using that name long before the trademark registration was approved, so it has an earlier common law trademark for that period.

"Dodaddy" is a recognized word in common language.
I am not sure about the reason for its registration but personaly don't think any phrase ending with "daddy" should be associated with godaddy.com. That would be nonsense.

But I agree about lawyer's consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom