Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

godaddy Godaddy email asking me to confirm my email address in a 10 year year old account?

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company GoDaddy.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I get an email from Godaddy which I thought was spam and it's asking me to confirm my email for whois on domains, seems normal but I don't click random links in stuff like this. So I login to my GD account through the web browser and it shows my names "Pending Whois Verification" (NOT ACTIVE) and a notice at the top of my account to verify my email or resend info, etc. What is the deal here is Godaddy trying to cancel names to steal/auction? I noticed the email literally is the first I have ever heard of this practice from them and it says in the email "You can't fully manage your domains until you verify your email. If you don't take care of it in a timely manner we'll be required to put any hosted content on hold"

WHAT THE F! GODADDY?

Are you kidding me right now? I think I might just LET them suspend my names/content and then act accordingly because I am about tired of these registrar games. I have never had any reason to "verify" my email in fact it's the same email I have always used for hundreds of domains with them and the same one that pays them through paypal for renewals and everything else. Unbelievable. :?:

What say you DNF :uhoh:

Chris

Last edited:

JamesBooth

www.BQDN.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Same happened to me. I resent the email but deleted the email as I don't want to click anything. Pretty messed up

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong. Since January 1st it is required that we verify our contact information once a year. New ICANN policy. Nothing to do with the Little G(Little cool nickname I gave them, since Google is the Big G)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Verify contact information MANUALLY or they steal your domains? Is that what you are eluding to?

As far as I know it's a passive requirement to verify this information not an active one requiring action or suspension of services, can't be legal. What if someone is sick, on vacation, or a million other potentials? Seems like more underhanded bullshit to me honestly.

You think Godaddy would at least put your NAME and CUSTOMER NUMBER in the email so it does not look like some scam or malware. Really who clicks "Verify email" links these days that look like some form email sent by a Nigerian hacker? Epic fail Godaddy, send your long term customers random generic emails threatening their services/domains and also title it as a reminder email when it's the first time the notice is sent. Who writes their important verification emails, a drunk 5 year old?

Then I login my account and my domains are NOT active? Classy!

Funny the other registrars I have names with did not do this.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, I totally agree with you, but here goes the fine print right here : "Failure to verify the email address associated with your domain within 15 days will result in that domain being suspended."

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
At the same time, we have to remember that at the end of the day we are renting our domains, we actually do not "own" them.

So, if a landlord says, you must verify your contact information once a year, or I am going to give you a 15 day notice and evict you. What could we do? Nothing.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I smell class action lawsuits :sniff sniff:

Wait until they start suspending domains then all hell is going to break loose, mark the words. :)

Oh and you said what can we do? Well, considering our business keeps these companies IN business then actually we can do or not do alot. ;)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys, for a change it is a legit email from YoDaddy and it only happens when you add a domain to your acct (handreg, renewal, transfer, push, auction win) and the email is only sent once and it includes verification for all new domains "pending" There's a thread in Legal where this was discussed yesterday

http://www.dnforum.com/f611/beware-thread-518227.html

I thought it was a scam and didn't click on it, then I saw acro and his DG's article and he posted on that thread too. I still did not click and went into my DCC and there it was, a bright warning you must respond to the email sent to the address you have on record for these new regs, it even gives you the option to resend yourself that same email right there from the DCC, go to your accts at GD and you'll see (for the ones that haven't responded to the email)

I had read also that it's a new thing for all registrars, not just TheDaddy, pain in the ass, I'm so used to ignoring them and never clicking on any links no matter how true it appears, thieves are always targeting GD, but this new policy seems to come from ICANN given all the fake email addresses some people provide at reg, and it's happening for all registrars, I didn't like the threatening language either, that if you don't go thru with this verification thing some acct functions/domains will be suspended until you do that

:suspicious:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just log into your account, then view your domains, then sort by "Status". If they are all "Active", you're good. Some will say "Pending Whois Verification", because you might have used a different email address.

For those, click on each domain, then on "Settings" and act like you're going to change the nameservers - there's a colored box that says "Resend verification email."

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, glad I stopped using them a while ago.

Why is it if a ICANN requirement have I not seen this happen elsewhere? Sure we get the "verify whois info is correct" emails from rars but I haven't ever been threatened with a suspension. And besides being I regularly contact owners via the whois I assume pretty soon many godaddy users who have let their emails die will not be too happy one day.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had no names transferred into my account and it was not some obscure email address just the same one I always had on all my domains there, the tech guy at Godaddy claimed that ICANN was "making" them do this and they would possibly be suspending domains with "unverified" email addresses. I wonder what happens after that, hmmmm. lol

Again, this was affecting OLD domains I had in my account for years, and they were NOT active. I was told I was one of many people that got this email.

So now after all these years of people owning domain names it seems that if they literally do not MANUALLY verify their email address once per year (this is according to Godaddy by way of ICANN mandate) that they risk suspension/loss of their domains and service. The sky actually is falling people and it's YOUR domain names they are after.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ironically yesterday I got an email from GD on the ONE name I have there, the usual ICANN policy dictates we ask you to verify whois and make changes if needed blah blah blah. But no threat of suspension at all or any other threat, same old same old.

They just don't like the big dog in Florizzle :)

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is a unique circumstance, they have not sent verification emails for domains held behind their privacy domainsbyproxy... there are some valuable names held behind privacy, does that mean they get suspended?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they know their domain proxy email is valid and as long as that extra $10 rolls in every renewal on the domains why ruin a good thing that should be free anyways is likely their motto on that unique circumstance. Next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom