Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Been bidding on a domain for a week in a Godaddy aftermarket auction and was UNLUCKY enough to win the auction for just over $28k, that's where all my problems started.
Received an email congratulating me on my win and asking me to get in touch with an account representative to arrange payment since the amount was high.
Called and spoke to a representative, he suggested that I try to pay using Paypal however the payment didn't go through since the amount was over $10k, so then I was told to pass on credit card details to him to process the payment. I told him that since the American express card is in Euro currency there will be a 2.3% exchange fee so the best option was for me to wire transfer the amount to Godaddy's account. After consulting with his superior I was told that the fee will be reimbursed to me as soon as I send them the transaction overview. I agreed and all was satisfactory.
5 minutes after hanging up I received and email that my account had been locked for security reasons and I had to send in a copy of ID, I scanned the ID, marked out private information on the ID and sent it to them. 2 minutes later received another email, apparently they were not happy with some information on the ID being marked out so I rescanned the ID and sent it to them. Yet another email this time asking for a copy of the front and back of the American Express card, scanned the card and sent it to them.
Went to bed happy about winning the auction, woke up this morning and checked my email and to my surprise there was an email from Godaddy notifying me that strangely enough after winning the auction and paying for it, the previous registrant had managed to renew the domain and the auction was declared void.
Called Godaddy numerous times today and spoke to a few of their totally lost representatives and no one knew what to do or how to help me and the very friendly representative who took the credit card details last night wouldn't answer any of my emails today despite promising to escalate the matter and notify his superior.

So now Im sitting behind my computer refreshing my mailbox every 5 minutes and cursing myself for not knowing when I can access my account again and where all the scanned copies of the documents I sent in might end up and to add insult to injury the only positive outcome of the situation, winning the auction was declared void!!!!!

Godaddy just lost a loyal customer no matter how small, Cant wait to move all my domains away from them.

Last edited:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I won the domain, after a day of payment. They said it will be refunded because the current registrant renewed it.

Why they put it in auction if the domain name is not cleared to be release anyway. It's a waste of time and effort.

The life of domaining, good thing it just a hobby for me. :)

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you not understand the original registrant has up to 7 days to renew the name after it's sold? That's why it says expected Mm / a-day + 7 / Yyyy.

I never get my hopes up to secure a domain in the aftermarket. Numerous names I've won have been "stolen", but I just focus on the next gems.

Read the TOS, don't get all worked up and move that 28k to a new name/names.

It sucks, but happens. Good luck.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@OralB Go Daddy has been the worst registrar for years. I just don't understand how a lot of domainers keep their domains there.
I wrote about your problem in October were I suggested waiting a couple of days before paying to avoid as much frustration as possible:
http://onlinedomain.com/2012/10/24/...-will-godaddy-give-me-back-my-time-and-money/

That's not good to do. On a $xxxx name I "won", they wanted the money immediately or they would cancel the bid. I got the email somewhere... Paid when they wanted and had to wait 5 business days for a refund when the registrant renewed it.

It may be sell price because I have 4 days leeway for $xxx names before they throw the hammer down

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I only had 48 hours to pay otherwise I wouldve risked losing the domain.
Anyhow thats all behind me now, the big issue is that my account is still blocked !

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why they would even auction names if the registrant can renew anytime even after someone else winning the auction!
Shouldnt they just wait for the domain to exhaust the grace period before auctioning it?
I guess the temptation of earning interest on peoples money is greater than actual quality service.
Bunch of losers indeed.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is this not good to do?
According to their terms you have exactly 3 days to pay so you can pay whenever you want in that 3 day period.
I now pay after the 48 hours.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is this not good to do?
According to their terms you have exactly 3 days to pay so you can pay whenever you want in that 3 day period.
I now pay after the 48 hours.

I just immediately pay now after talking to a sales support supervisor. They said at anytime they could pull the bid regardless of time period of payment.

I don't know if he was BSing an answer as it's in writing, but if that's the case, I'd rather pay than fight it.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their terms say that you can pay up to 3 days after winning the auction.
Their terms say that owners can renew the domains up to 7 days after the auction ends.
So if you pay at about the 3rd day you can avoid paying and then waiting for a refund for the domains that are renewed in days 1-3.
For the domains renewed 4-7 you can't do much except avoid go daddy altogether.

You don't have to fight anything. Just don't talk to the supervisor at all.
I am not sure why you talk to them every time...

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To answer your question as to why I call them or ask to speak to a supervisor every time read the following email.

"Alva,

Today the charge came through on the American Express account and as agreed you will have to pay the exchange commission on the card, attached you will find the details. the commission amount is 501,87 Euros equivalent to $650,97.

I will be anticipating a refund of the exchange commission fee within today.

Furthermore my account is still unnecessarily blocked and no one knows how to help me.

All this has been a frustrating and expensive experience for me and the least you could do is to bring a satisfactory closure to this matter.

I would like you or your manager to get in touch with me today on my number to try and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Regards,
"

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys think that it would be a good idea to sue these people?
If so can you guys recommend a good law firm who deals with these cases.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was talking to David Walker...

Anyway this is very bad and from my experience they will start by not replying to your emails then if they reply they will say they would have to talk to their superior and then after many days maybe you will get a refund...

But from my knowledge when you get a refund for a cc charge you also get a refund for the exchange commission fee. The most you will have to pay is a small 1-2% difference on the commission fee depending on exchange rates.

OralB

PDM.COM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I will have to wait for the refund to hit my account first, 1-2% of $28K is not such a small amount considering that I never got the domain name :(

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why they would even auction names if the registrant can renew anytime even after someone else winning the auction!
Shouldnt they just wait for the domain to exhaust the grace period before auctioning it?
I guess the temptation of earning interest on peoples money is greater than actual quality service.
Bunch of losers indeed.
all registrars that do 'pre-release' auctions do this. namejet, snapnames, etc. they all have the option of paying the redemption fee and getting the domain back. its not a godaddy problem, its an industry problem and one they can't really get around without violating the rights of domain holders.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I meant 1-2% of the commission amount of 501,87 Euros: 5-10 Euro

I guess I will have to wait for the refund to hit my account first, 1-2% of $28K is not such a small amount considering that I never got the domain name :(

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, not everybody does this. In fact on Go Daddy does it.
In Namejet and Snapnames, once the auction is done and you have paid the domain immediately changes ownership and the previous owner can't claim it back.

Go Daddy starts auctions at about 20 days after the domain expires when namejet and snapnames start the auction at about 40 days after the domain name expires. (I will have to check on the exact numbers but that is the analogy)
In fact even with their ****ed up system Go Daddy gives less opportunity to the domain owner to renew.

all registrars that do 'pre-release' auctions do this. namejet, snapnames, etc. they all have the option of paying the redemption fee and getting the domain back. its not a godaddy problem, its an industry problem and one they can't really get around without violating the rights of domain holders.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So let me get this straight: they won't refund the Amex commission?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, not everybody does this. In fact on Go Daddy does it.
In Namejet and Snapnames, once the auction is done and you have paid the domain immediately changes ownership and the previous owner can't claim it back.

Go Daddy starts auctions at about 20 days after the domain expires when namejet and snapnames start the auction at about 40 days after the domain name expires. (I will have to check on the exact numbers but that is the analogy)
In fact even with their ****ed up system Go Daddy gives less opportunity to the domain owner to renew.
so why are there threads on here about people complaining that namejet took their domain back? i would agree that it happens a lot more often with godaddy but it does happen elsewhere. i've even done it myself, a domain that was sold on snapnames taken from my account i got back with a phone call.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy will refund the 28k charge and the Amex commission will be refunded with that by Amex itself.
Go Daddy doesn't have to explicitly refund the commission.
It's a shitty "Euro -other currencies" policy.

So let me get this straight: they won't refund the Amex commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom