Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProudPapa

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy does not intervene when there is an obvious case of domain theft via scam. While I understand its characterization of such scams as "private transactions," there is a cottage industry developing whereby scam artists use godaddy as a safe harbor. This problem is so prevalent that most Webmaster forums have Stickies warning of the so-called "paypal/godaddy scam." Apparently, I missed the many warnings. Consequently, this scumbag stole four domains names valued at $1900. Fortunately, two of the four names were registered at another registrar. In moving the two names back into my account, I'm sure the other registrar considered my $80k annual contribution to its coffers. GD did not consider, however, my $120k annual contribution to its coffers. Moreover, GD's competitor viewed my track record of requesting to reclaim names moved to another account (zero times, until then). GD did not consider the same track record.

I suspect that the scam artist will not be so brazen as to protest the names moving out of his/her account. Thus, the other registrar assisted the good guy, not the scumbag. While unintentional, GD did the opposite.

Moreover, when the whois shows the registrant's actual personal and business name, along with an active address, telephone and email, the registrar should give deference to that person as oppose to someone's account showing (made-up but similar to the scam artist):

Names: A man
Address: 12 st.
Phone 222-222-2222

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with management (who has authority) about this particular issue. If not, I will still use GD for its ease of use / pricing / features / convenience, but I will remain an unhappy customer.

- Stephen

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam is one of the guys you can talk to, but he may be limited to what the upper management has to say.

Process has to start somewhere so, try sending him a PM
He is on the board now and may see your post if you opt not to send a PM

ProudPapa

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. At this point, however, I would like to see GD reach out to me.

By the way, the scam artist scumbag stole more domains over the weekend (not from me but I saw it on another forum). One would like to think that GD/Paypal is in the process of posting warnings and putting mechanisms in place to diminish the scumbag's success rate. Although my loss is significant, I'm just as upset at GD/Paypal for their "oh-well" attitude . . . particularly because I do mega business with each.

I will wait for a formal decision (silence consitutes a formal decision) from GD/Paypal before deciding my next step.

thanks again for the tip.

- Stephen

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think GD will reach out to you. Right now, they're in a damned if they do (say a legit transaction does go through, then the seller tells GD that it was stolen) and damned if they don't (your case).

If you're going to wait for GD to contact you, then just write off the domain and consider it lost. You might contacted from someone but right now your best bet is to PM DotComGod (Adam).

ProudPapa

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm sure that someone from GD management will see this thread. If they choose not to respond, that is their prerogative.

Believe me, I'm not holding my breath that something will be done voluntarily, but I would appreciate the consideration.

Update: Godaddy management contacted me and is now aware of the scam.

After I explained the scam, GD informed me that it offers a secure service for account changes (i.e. pushing names from one account to another)(fees unknown). One thing is for certain . . . I will not be using paypal for domain sales unless I know the person.

I'm waiting for paypal to post both a warning and its policy for buying/selling intellectual property. The victim of a scam involving stolen paypal accounts should not be left holding the bag. . . or in this case, should not be left without a name and without funds.

Regards - Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom