Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GoDaddy Price Increase on .Org, .Info, and .Biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from my GoDaddy account rep stating that GoDaddy will "significantly" increase the reg fees for all TLDs effective Oct. 15; i.e., .org, .info, and .biz, in addition to .com and .net.

My understanding was that ICANN had only approved a 7% annual increase to Verisign on .com and .net.

Anyone else get a similar email???

-SoCalBoy

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did not get an email. But I sure as hell noticed that the .info was $1.99, then $2.99, then all of a sudden $9.99 and having a sale at $2.00 off for renewals at $7.99.

If you're not even going to be competitive then why bother.

Right now Moniker is having a $6.85 .com transfer sale and a $5.00 .net sale. That is an unbeatable price for a .net transfer. And the standard $6.95 transfer fee for .info.

Been moving all out of GD for some time now as renewals come up but this will just speed up the process, especially on the .nets at that price.

Can you say See Ya Bobby...or is it Booby?

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with Moniker? I've heard people here say good things about them. Have also been pulling my domains out of GD for a variety of reasons. Was trying to squirrel them away at 1and1 for 5.99 a year...but then today got hit with invoices that included $200 in completely fraudulent charges for stuff I never ordered! I don't doubt that they'll reverse them, but what a huge hassle which I don't need.

Tried opening the Moniker site several times today, but it isn't working. Is this typical?

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from my GoDaddy account rep stating that GoDaddy will "significantly" increase the reg fees for all TLDs effective Oct. 15; i.e., .org, .info, and .biz, in addition to .com and .net.

My understanding was that ICANN had only approved a 7% annual increase to Verisign on .com and .net.

Anyone else get a similar email???

-SoCalBoy

All my rep sent was

Dear Customer,

I would like to make you aware that Verisign will be raising there price on .coms and .nets next month. This will inevitably affect all registrar prices. We do not have the exact price increase yet, but it will probably be close to $.50 more per name. If you have any questions or if you would like more information on the price increase, please call or email me.

Also, If you would like to renew before the price increase, please contact me so I can apply your discounted rate. If you have been holding off on a large list of names you were interested in registering, now would be the best time to get it in.

All my contact info is below.

Thanks,

jim

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Bob Parsons wants to buy more man earrings.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with Moniker? I've heard people here say good things about them. Have also been pulling my domains out of GD for a variety of reasons. Was trying to squirrel them away at 1and1 for 5.99 a year...but then today got hit with invoices that included $200 in completely fraudulent charges for stuff I never ordered! I don't doubt that they'll reverse them, but what a huge hassle which I don't need.

Tried opening the Moniker site several times today, but it isn't working. Is this typical?
All have their issues from time to time. But me and the gang at GoDaddy and TDNAM have had some major scrums...talk about fraud. 1and1 I tried 1and1 time only.

Moniker has been have some server side issues lately and also some customer service issues also but I have not experienced this. Typically I can maneuver around on my own that I don't have to call on customer service.

If interested, be sure to tell them you are a member here. $6.95 .com reg and $5.49 .net reg. Hard to beat.

Bob Parsons wants to buy more man earrings.
Got to be up to at least a couple of carats by now.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a direct quote from her little missive to me:

Please keep in mind the price of the top level TLDs are going up due to increased registry fees. This also applies to .biz and .info domains which I believe are going up significantly.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Significantly" is an incorrect term. It only is significant if one considers $1.99 specials as the base price - which is just a luring price to increase customer base and establish a retention based on a statistical model. For the rest of us who regularly pay $7 to $7.50 for .info, .biz etc. the increase will be roughly 50 cents per name. Still, that's a big increase for large portfolio holders that have not used proper accounting to ensure that the renewal fees are considered operating expenses.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Acroplex,

I agree with you 110% on an economic and philosophical basis. But the problem is that this is coming directly from GD's corporate representative. We'll have to see how GD ultimately manipulates its price increases, but it appears Parsons plans to use Verisign's windfall to his advantage.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Significantly" is an incorrect term. It only is significant if one considers $1.99 specials as the base price - which is just a luring price to increase customer base and establish a retention based on a statistical model. For the rest of us who regularly pay $7 to $7.50 for .info, .biz etc. the increase will be roughly 50 cents per name. Still, that's a big increase for large portfolio holders that have not used proper accounting to ensure that the renewal fees are considered operating expenses.
Bingo, ditto, well put. Plus, the increase I thought via Verisign was only applicable to .com and .net. And 7%.
But the problem is that this is coming directly from GD's corporate representative. We'll have to see how GD ultimately manipulates its price increases, but it appears Parsons plans to use Verisign's windfall to his advantage.
The largest registrar (in volume) can afford to promote themselves heavily and has done well in branding their name. An across the board increase does not make too much sense. But with their branding they will continue to lure new customers in.

Plus, they are already one of the highest .net prices out there. Why? go back and look at Bob's blogs from the ICANN/Verisign announcement. He was so pissed that this was awarded to VeriSign without any bids or openness, he was convinced that everyone would jump ship in protest and would move to the .net. So convinced in fact, that he has never lowered the price of .net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom