Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Godaddy pulls the plug on Backorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to use Godaddy for backorders on low value domains (they've always been rather useless for high value domains). I would get a few on occasion -- maybe 5% of what I put in, so it was marginally worth the effort.

I noticed about the beginning of December their success rate went to 0%. About mid December they stopped bothering to put 'backorder failed' on .INFO drops, the backorder just sat there like nothing happened until it was manually deleted, and they would send you the 'status updated' email showing a new reg date.

But the final hilarious gasp for Godaddy was a recent backorder status email that said:

And they STILL did not catch the domain in question - it is sitting there open for hand-reg as I type this! There is NO EXCUSE for this.

Wow... thanks for the high-speed backorder catch, Godaddy!! Can we get refunds on unused backorder credits, since you have discountinued service?

Domain Days 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am looking into this now and have escalated.

-=DCG=-

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I doubt that they have discontinued the service.

DG

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
How does one look up the credits in their account? A couple of months ago I ordered one such backorder on its own, but the credit I paid for went nowhere. So I had to actually backorder a domain and this time the new credit was associated with the domain (which was caught).

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The backorder service has not been discontinued.

I am however looking into why the backorder for the domain was not used and the domain grabbed.

-=DCG=-

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with godaddy a few days ago. They failed to catch the name and it was regged at Godaddy. I had to use snapnames as a backup.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I doubt that they have discontinued the service.

DG

The reality is it HAS stopped working for several weeks - that's not a temporary technical issue, that's a discontuation. Whether it's an official policy change or something that may be reinstated in the future is a different matter. The "available" notification is just the final straw of the problem - the bigger issue is why there are no catches of domains.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Part of the issue has been with the .info registry.

I am not using GoDaddy but instead use my WWD reseller account for backorders. I have had some success recently.

But the biggest problem I see is registrars getting into being their own dropcatcher.

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About 10 days ago I had a similar issue.... I received an email saying the backorder was unsuccessful... I thought "ahh well..." then a day or so later the DNS changed to Godaddy. All I got was an email about the DNS change... I thought OMG they have knocked off the name.... but then I noticed the name was added to my account. The following day I received an email saying the backorder was successful. It looks like a timing issue.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How does one look up the credits in their account? A couple of months ago I ordered one such backorder on its own, but the credit I paid for went nowhere. So I had to actually backorder a domain and this time the new credit was associated with the domain (which was caught).

I use bluerazor..probably the same ...log-in..goto "myproducts" ..click
"Domain Monitoring/Backordering " click "add backorders" and it should show availabe credits..if the domain backordered is already "caught" by another catcher...check the box next to that domain and hit "cancel selected" and it should credit your account for that backorder

jim

Wow. Reminds of registerfly 'dropfly' who wouldn't reg an available name ;)

I think it was expirefish..the only thing they caught was .org back in march of "03 when PIR took over the .org registry and the "big boys" weren't taking backorders on .org because of the 60-90 day?? freeze on expired .org names..ahhh I had a few ll.org but the registry kept them.. :upset:

jim

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Jim, many thanks!
I found my elusive credit after all :D

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been using GD backorder service quite frequently and been doing rather well. You can't win'em all but a few now & again makes up the difference.
It is a bit confusing once a domain backorder has not been caught. Rather than the domain showing a credit valid for another backorder you must not click on "cancel ". If you do, this will dispose of your existing credit for a new domain backorder. I lost several this way before contacting a GD rep & finding the correct page link to reorder a new backorder with the existing credit from the previous backorder.
Here is how you reuse your backorder credit once a domain backorder has failed:

1) Once in your GD account, go to Backorder and Monitoring,
2) Then, click on the domain that has failed & that you wish to change,
3) Once you get to the next page, look in the middle where it says:
4) Monitor/Backorder Management:
Change Domain Name < < Click on this to change the domain for a new backorder

Hope this helps everyone catch a good drop!
Happy New Year!! :party:

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am from Canada and recently I purchased more than 2o credits with them and have requested more than 50 domains.. not a single success. They SUCK.. SUCK.. SUCK.. BIG TIME!!! WOW.. these are going to be my last words for 2007!!! What a way to end the year!!! SAD!!

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used to use Godaddy for backorders on low value domains (they've always been rather useless for high value domains). I would get a few on occasion -- maybe 5% of what I put in, so it was marginally worth the effort.

I noticed about the beginning of December their success rate went to 0%. About mid December they stopped bothering to put 'backorder failed' on .INFO drops, the backorder just sat there like nothing happened until it was manually deleted, and they would send you the 'status updated' email showing a new reg date.

But the final hilarious gasp for Godaddy was a recent backorder status email that said:

And they STILL did not catch the domain in question - it is sitting there open for hand-reg as I type this! There is NO EXCUSE for this.

Wow... thanks for the high-speed backorder catch, Godaddy!! Can we get refunds on unused backorder credits, since you have discountinued service?

Same thing here today...and yes it was a .info and I hand regged it..this is worse than expirefish was..

jim

We've noted that the following changes occurred between 12/31/2007 and 01/01/2008:

The registrar has been changed:
OLD: eNom, Inc.
NEW:

The domain expiration date has been changed:
OLD: 15-Oct-2008 14:00:07 UTC
NEW:

The domain name servers have been changed:
OLD: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

The domain status has been changed:
OLD: HOLD
PENDING DELETE SCHEDULED FOR REL
NEW: AVAILABLE

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Several days have now passed -- anyone seen any successful catches? None here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom