Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Godaddy requesting proof that I don't own a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huh?

A few weeks ago I get a notification from GoDaddy to check the WhoIs for some domains (normal, I get them every year) but the domains listed were sold a few years back (I don't own them anymore). I checked the WhoIs and sure enough, they still show my information.

I sent the buyer a PM (here on DNF) about it and I did not hear back from them so a few days later I filled out the incorrect WhoIs information form with ICANN. I get the normal confirmation email from ICANN - I reply back to confirm the report.

Now it gets fun.

Next, GoDaddy sends me an email saying that I need to check and correct the WhoIs information on the domains (why did they contact the WhoIs email and not the email for the account?). I reply back telling them I do not own the domains.

I got a reply from GoDaddy asking for my documentation (phone# for them to call me, email address (the same one they used to contact me) and scans of utility bills to prove that the information is my information (although this does nothing to resolve the issue - just makes me jump though hoops).

It's almost like Keystone cops now.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, lesson learned for everyone. When pushing domains, use other account settings and don't keep it the same. :uhoh:

P.S.: It's probably just a tactic to upsell you something else. ;)

Edit: On a semi-related note, I purchased a couple domains on here which had been submitted to a pay directory and received a couple $80 notices to renew. I tossed them in the trash on the way out. They follow whois information as opposed to the ownership of the domain submitted by the billing address of the account on their system.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
GoDaddy is by far the most oddball registrar. Sure, I use them, but only when I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators