Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

GoDaddy selling against it's resellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aww

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am curious what WWD resellers think about GoDaddy selling directly against it's own resellers?

If you look at www.bluerazor.com you can see it's a wholesale version of GoDaddy aimed at the public but with the huge advantage of GoDaddy branding which WWD does not have at all.

The prices on bluerazor are essentially what WWD gets on the wholesale level yet instead of a $100 a year fee it's only a $10 membership?

I am curious if bluerazor domains can be pushed to/from regular GoDaddy accounts, does anyone know?

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aww said:
I am curious what WWD resellers think about GoDaddy selling directly against it's own resellers?

If you look at www.bluerazor.com you can see it's a wholesale version of GoDaddy aimed at the public but with the huge advantage of GoDaddy branding which WWD does not have at all.

The prices on bluerazor are essentially what WWD gets on the wholesale level yet instead of a $100 a year fee it's only a $10 membership?

I am curious if bluerazor domains can be pushed to/from regular GoDaddy accounts, does anyone know?

Even thou BlueRazor is a GoDaddy company, you CAN'T push domains between accounts. It's an another ICANN accredited registrar under the same ownership...same like WWD...

Also, BlueRazor is for retail account...WWD is for reseller accounts. With BlueRazor you can't sell domains to your customers.

aww

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Peace said:
Also, BlueRazor is for retail account...WWD is for reseller accounts. With BlueRazor you can't sell domains to your customers.

Right, what I am saying is that by offering impossible to beat pricing to any customer, how can a WWD reseller compete against GoDaddy branding?

For example, eNom never shows a customer it's lowest wholesale pricing. It's "rack rate" is like $30 for .com (which I hope no one is actually paying out of ignorance). But GoDaddy happily will show customers a much more attractive rate that is lower than any of it's unknown resellers. In fact it's bluerazor retail pricing is what the resellers pay wholesale!

By the way, WWD resellers cannot push to each other. Are you saying that every reseller is it's own registrar? Of course not, they are all under one registrar. We know it's all about marketing control.

eNom allows resellers to access and control domains under another one of it's registrars (Sipence). So there CAN be integration across registrars if the registrars want it to happen.

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aww said:
Right, what I am saying is that by offering impossible to beat pricing to any customer, how can a WWD reseller compete against GoDaddy branding?

That's true but resellers face even tougher competition from GoDaddy itself...I get $6.95 registration coupon from GoDaddy like every other month (which is valid for one whole month)

aww said:
By the way, WWD resellers cannot push to each other. Are you saying that every reseller is it's own registrar?

I know that, and it's so annoying...I think they created that rule to control the competition (price cutting) between the resellers. I couldn't think of any other good reason for that rule.

aww

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By the way, I just realized I own a domain that was originally registered at Blue Razor and now is sitting in my regular GoDaddy account.

So yes, you can push from Blue Razor to regular GoDaddy
(or at least within the past half year you could).

If anyone wants proof, just PM me for the domain name.

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Peace said:
That's true but resellers face even tougher competition from GoDaddy itself...I get $6.95 registration coupon from GoDaddy like every other month (which is valid for one whole month)

Even $6.95 is high for a .com reg...

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TopNames.com said:
Even $6.95 is high for a .com reg...
Spoken like a true businessman. :wink: I think business is business. For example, just look at eNom's Sipence website. $6.95 standard price and NO membership fee. Hmmm... It's a different registrar... yet, oddly it looks like eNom's PDQ interface... I can login with my eNom account... but the pricing reverts to the level the login was created under. Huh. Very interesting. :-# I don't begradge registrars rebranding to appeal to different pricing points in the market. I don't think they're looking to make their primary brand dissappear, but they'd be dumb to have another registrar undercut them and depend solely on their resellers to "do battle" with competitors on uber-thin margins.

Look at Network Solutions and SRSPlus. With the NetSol sale, I'm not even sure how connected they are, but SRSPlus was a Verisign company and very competitive price-wise.

~ Nexus

Peace

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
Spoken like a true businessman. :wink: I think business is business. For example, just look at eNom's Sipence website. $6.95 standard price and NO membership fee. Hmmm... It's a different registrar... yet, oddly it looks like eNom's PDQ interface... I can login with my eNom account... but the pricing reverts to the level the login was created under.

It seems like they are charging for URL Forwarding/Framing thou...

Anyway, so we can't create a new account with Sipence, and register domains for $6.95 and then push them to our ENOM accounts? (I have $7.95 ENOM account, not $6.95 account)

aww

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sipence, while being its own Icann approved registrar, is running as a reseller under eNom's registrarpdq.com

This might be the same technique that GoDaddy is using for Blue Razor.

Finexe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To answer to the original post. Other companies have other offerings than godaddy and wwd. We chose wwd because of the free forwardings and the free 24/7 support, and reliable (but very slow) servers. Looking at the competitors directi is offering domains at low as 6.49 to resellers, but its the doamin only. with the extras they end up somewhere around the wwd price. wwd still being $99/year more expensive, which by the way is not the easiest to even get back if you don't do drastic advertising/offerings.

The disadvantages are, you are really in goddaddys power. Godaddy comes with shameless offers that wwd resellers cannot join on, every other day. the lastest being biz for 3.95 and info for 1.95.. you cannot transfer between godaddy and your own or any other reseller or you would be able to take advantage of the offerings. It is not coincidence that GD customers are a lot more than any specific WWD resellers. Many resellers have reverted to use their discount accounts on their only tool that still may get some prices lower than the competition, but then it won't give you any share of the profit.

So when you sign up, concider it as customer service expense, to give good domains and control panel to your customers. not a profit engine. you will be dissapointed otehrwise. domains are a loss market, many loss leaders will have offerings way lower than your wholesale price anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom