Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GoDaddy sued for sending out renewal reminders - who's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There a patent on annoying automated emails?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the article... just to be clear what is the issue here? Sending out an email reminder to renew your recently expiring domain, or the way GD automatically renews the domain for you if you decided to do that when registering the name?

tiki

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the real crime is not being given an option to turn those off, essentially you opted-in for them when you decided to use them as a registrar, but you should be able to disable that spam

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the real crime is not being given an option to turn those off, essentially you opted-in for them when you decided to use them as a registrar, but you should be able to disable that spam

and then have a cry about it when you forget to renew a domain? i would hardly call it spam if your a client. what is spam is the idiot registrars sending snail mail who feel they have the right to send you a renewal notice to change registrars at some absurd markup and they think they are doing you some favor.

cerno

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read the article, haven't looked at the actual patent

calling godaddy a "professional services provider" seems a stretch, it would seem the patent was referring to attorneys, doctors and others offering what is typically referred to as professional services

there would not seem to be much difference between reminders from godaddy and every license or permit you pay periodically, don't pay and you lose the license or registration, is automobile registration a professional service?

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess maybe I skimmed the article but somebody can have a patent on sending renewal emails for your products? I have had thousands of domain names at Godaddy and never was annoyed at recieving those emails, in fact they help let me know what stage they are in and manage my account better.

bmugford

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This suit is a load of BS. It will get dismissed at some point I am sure.

People can file all the patents and TMs they want. Whether they are enforceable or not is a different story.

Brad

Reaction score
This suit is a load of BS. It will get dismissed at some point I am sure.

People can file all the patents and TMs they want. Whether they are enforceable or not is a different story.

Brad

WhitServe previously sued Computer Packages Inc, a trademark management services company, along with customers including Intel and EMC. Last year, it won a reported $8.4m judgment.

Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom