Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Godaddy upto auction trickery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was in an expired auction at Godaddy for expireddomains.com - the actual domain.

The name was upto just over $3k with about 8 days to go - I've just been checking and the name has gone from my bidding and watching lists - checking on domaintools to see if it had been renewed, it doesn't appear so, but there is the usual link from there to the auction page which shows this;

"We're sorry, but the domain name you are looking for is no longer available through auction."

This usually shows if the name has been renewed or the auction finished.

Looks like Godaddy are saving this for themselves instead of letting the auction run...time to look through the TOS methinks. Their whole auctioning of expired but not deleted domains seems legally dubious anyway - how can you auction off something you don't own?

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain must have been renewed by the owner.I have seen this happen plenty of times. Or one of the bidders probably tried to contact the previous owner and try to buy it.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do your homework before making accusations, if you do a internal whois check, you can see it was updated today, the owner paid the fee, and renewed it. If you read the TOS, it says the original owner has set number of days to renew it.

What is funny you question godaddy for auctioning off something you say they do not own, yet you are trying to purchase it from them given the fact you state they do not own it, are you not in the same boat?

Last edited:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do your homework before making accusations, if you do a internal whois check, you can see it was updated today, the owner paid the fee, and renewed it. If you read the TOS, it says the original owner has set number of days to renew it.

What is funny you question godaddy for auctioning off something you say they do not own, yet you are trying to purchase it from them given the fact you state they do not own it, are you not in the same boat?

I checked whois several times over a period of 90 minutes and it didn't show the update. If I pay a renewal on a domain right now, it'll show the update through domaintools in a matter of moments. First thing this morning I checked again and see it's been renewed until 2017.

I'm fully aware of how long an owner has to renew it once an auction has started - I've spent many $1000s at TDNAM.

The difference between buying a name at TDNAM, and them selling it, is that TDNAM do not own the rights to the name when they sell it, yet they accept your money. As a buyer I simply make an upfront payment for an item. There is a subtle difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom