Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Going to NYC - Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Going to New York City next weekend with some schoolmates for the Model United Nations debate, we're going as Uruguay :approve:

We have 3 days to sight see and 3 days to do model UN stuff, I was wondering if anyone who knows NYC well can give me info on good, cheap restuarants downtown, or neat stores or anything else cool.

I am staying in the Hilton near Times Square (yes, I know I'm lucky). GiantDomains, I know you are from around there, but anyone's opinions would be much appreciated...

d:)

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Im not from around there but have fun!

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kinda tough at night for someone younger... you need to be 21 to get into most places. As for cheap restaurants, some will say they don't exist, and at a minimum get a few blocks out of Times Square. :) Stay away from planet hollywood and medieval times. Many places in that area post their menus outside the entrance.

You can get cheap(er) tickets to many Broadway plays at the TKTS booth (can't miss it) in times square, and tons of places hand out coupons while you're in line. I used one once and the place was good (steak place)... I can't remember the name (it was a couple years ago). If the line at the times square tkts booth is really long, head down to the seaport, they usually have a MUCH shorter line (though no coupons for dinner). You can save on the plays by trying for a lesser-known one, many of them are still great.

Then there're always shows like Conan O'Brian and Letterman. And of course you can spend a whole day wandering around Times Square and Rockefeller Center looking like a tourist (especially if you like shopping).

If you've never been there before and it's a nice day (clear, no clouds) going to the top of the Empire State Building can be fun. It's also cool at night.

For more shopping wander over to 5th Ave and Madison ave. If you really wanna stretch a buck, head down to Chinatown :) I haven't spent much time there tho, and it's supposed to be a lot safer now, but still - keep an eye on your wallet.

These are the more benign things I've done there... I spend 7-10 days a month in Hoboken (go ahead, laugh) so NYC is readily accessible and it's fun to play tourist once in a while.

As for general tourist info, if no one in your group is familiar with the city, get a map at the Times Square visitor center. The subway doesn't use tokens, you have to get a paper card (metro pass, rail pass - I forget the real name, I haven't used one in a while). The ave's go north-south, the streets go east-west, the streets split at 5th ave, W. 42nd means west of 5th, E 42nd means you're east of 5th.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Im about an hour from NYC and I go there all the time? Cheap restaurants..?? cross the bridge over to NJ and you will find some cheaper restaurants. Other then that, you can stick to pizza. Check out mtv, nba store, all those cool places. Yes, canal st. (chinatown) is always a nice place to visit but make sure you know about replica stuff before you make a purchase, otherwise you will overpay. You can ask me about it if you need any help

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nameable said:
... a paper card (metro pass, rail pass - I forget the real name, ....

It's called MetroCard.

Well, i saw many tourist buses go to China town all the time because you can find cheap stuff and cheap restaurants there. You should also buy souvenir from Chinatown instead of from stores at Times Square which is 15-25% overpriced.

Remember! don't buy electronics stuff e.g. camera, digital cam, notebook from no-name stores. Most of them selling refurbished stuffs, but they don't tell you (according to NY Post newspaper.)

enjoy your trip!

diederik

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I was in NYC I ate great pizza in a place near the Brooklyn bridge ( brooklyn side ). I forgot the name, but it was near a Ice cream place
I took the water taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn and it was 2 minutes from there.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info...

We are going to a broadway show and a latenight show of some kind (maybe Saturday Night Live) I guess I will live off Pizza and that sorta thing...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are in a restaurant and they ask if they can refill your ice tea glass ask them if there is a charge. We were at a NY restaurant once and they refilled my glass several times and I only found out when I got the bill that they charged me $3 a pop. First time I paid $15 for ice tea!

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You gotta just eat if you are there. Get Italian food/pizza, Chinese food, and find a good Jewish deli and get a corned beef sandwich. I haven't back up north in years and that's the only thing I miss....the food!

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
If you are in a restaurant and they ask if they can refill your ice tea glass ask them if there is a charge. We were at an NY restaurant once and they refilled my glass several times and I only found out when I got the bill that they charged me $3 a pop. First time I paid $15 for ice tea!

You drink like a camel. :)

Anyway, it's sad but true. NYC stores and restaurants like to take advantage of tourists. :(

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
If you are in a restaurant and they ask if they can refill your ice tea glass ask them if there is a charge. We were at a NY restaurant once and they refilled my glass several times and I only found out when I got the bill that they charged me $3 a pop. First time I paid $15 for ice tea!

Damn southerners are used to them big ass "bottomless" iced-teas, where they bring you a pitcher o' tea with a straw in it. Up here we're classier :-D

GT: I'll think of some cool places for you.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
Damn southerners are used to them big ass "bottomless" iced-teas, where they bring you a pitcher o' tea with a straw in it.

That's exactly right. To add insult to injury, they served the tea in those little 4 ounce orange juice glasses so they had to refill it after every two sips. What a rip!

I knew I shouldn't have gone to the restaurant GiantDomain's family runs but I wanted to help them out by throwing a little business their way. :-D

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks, that Paragon store looks cool!

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions GD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom