Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google Agrees To Acquire Urchin

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - March 28, 2005 - Google Inc. today announced it has agreed to acquire Urchin Software Corporation, a San Diego, California based web analytics company.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Urchin is a web site analytics solution used by web site owners and marketers to better understand their users' experiences, optimize content and track marketing performance. Urchin tools are available as a hosted service, a software product and through large web hosting providers. These products are used by thousands of popular sites on the Internet.

Google plans to make these tools available to web site owners and marketers to better enable them to increase their advertising return on investment and make their web sites more effective.

full story: http://www.urchin.com/company/news/03282005.html

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are they trying to diversify or gain insight into web traffic?

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
urchin is my favorite analytics tool... i hope they don't fug it up ...

just my luck google taking over urchin will just be a rerun of how good google was to me through the florida algorithm .... NOT...

Vivvy

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OgieOgalthorpe said:
Are they trying to diversify or gain insight into web traffic?

I would say it's going to be more for their users to gain insight into their advertising campaigns. With Yahoo Search Marketing trying to come into the sponsored search game, it sounds like Google is trying to maintain their edge.

ticky

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was a good move to aquire Urchin. Its definitely one of the best (if not the best) website analytics software available. Although I don't see how Urchin plays into the minimalistic style Google is famous for.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You haven't taken a close look at Google lately if you think theiy're still minamalist.. this page http://www.google.com/options/index.html just recently changed from large icons to small icons as they add more and more stuff.

it always amazes me that people are worried about microsoft taking over the world and then they cheer google when they hire pinky and the brain. Every piece google adds is intended to make them the one stop internet destination heading straight for monopoly land on a non-stop train.

once you get there you will eventually have to pay for it all... none of it will be free... look what the florida algorithm did to small business websites. That wasn't an accident... it was a motivation to force small business into pay to play, and it catapulted google right into a chubby ipo.

I'm definitely not a google fan and it is unfortunate to see them gobble up my favorite analytics program.

Vivvy

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, Google is DEFINITELY going to take over Microsoft. If you find it a bit hard to believe, just think back when IBM was in their hay days, and you told the guy next to you that MS will one day rule ... ;)

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Oh yes, Google is DEFINITELY going to take over Microsoft. If you find it a bit hard to believe, just think back when IBM was in their hay days, and you told the guy next to you that MS will one day rule ... ;)

I knew that was you sitting by me when I said that NS!! :wink:

Vivvy

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Vivvy said:
I knew that was you sitting by me when I said that NS!! :wink:
Yes, I was that 4-year-old. LOL! :-D

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh man!!! that was low and evil! I'm gonna beat you with my cane now! :p

Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom