Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google and ccTLD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A post by zouzas and bidwinner in regards to ccTLDs got me "googling" for information. What I've stumbled across is something that I think all should see. The link below is to a web forum, and they are discussing the significance of "local hosting" to get good google results and/or whether to have a ccTLD if you want to get more exposure to a geographical area of the world. The discussion is extremely informative. Wow!

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/9252.htm

btw: My thoughts after reading carefully through all the comments, I think ccTLDs are **somewhat important if you want to get into a particular country (visa vi, through SE's). The only exception: The US. If you check the Google.US site, vs the Google.com site virtually everything is the same. So a dot US site wouldn't necesarily rank you higher in the Google.us engine. However it might if you have a local hosted/dot co.uk site listed on Google.co.uk

**One other thing to mention, although it appears Google is using ccTLDs for relevant searches in a particular country, it does appear a lot of the top keywords used in the different Google Se's, Google.de, Google.fr yield the same results.... So in a final analysis as Devolution mentioned in the other post, Google is just using the different ccTLD's to market their "brand".

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True. As the Internet becomes more country-specific, searches in Google have reflected such a trend. I know that people in China, for instance, USED TO (until they redirected it elsewhere) search A LOT for sites in a) their language and b) their country. This is very useful for local businesses to target e.g. industry specific keyword strings. Of course, you can't beat those with just say "domain names" or "hosting".

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clearly you dont know what you are talking about..

The fact is you are sinply out on a bashing mission..

If you would pay attention to what GoogleGUy is saying he ies telling you Extensions DO matter.

The fact is Google isnt using .Biz or .info ..but they are using .It, .De, .US and that pssess you off .. you are very insecure Izopod .

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Clearly you dont know what you are talking about..

The fact is you are sinply out on a bashing mission..

If you would pay attention to what GoogleGUy is saying he ies telling you Extensions DO matter.

The fact is Google isnt using .Biz or .info ..but they are using .It, .De, .US and that pssess you off .. you are very insecure Izopod .

I don't think the "Google" guy ever came back after making his comments. :laugh:

As far as my insecurity goes, I don't think anyone could tell me I'm wrong! :D

Seriously... let's get the facts. Isn't that what smart investors do?? It's the very reason I posted the link. If there is a connection with ccTLD's and Google, everyone should know. It appears there is a connection with Google.de and german sites, and the same goes for co.uk sites and Google.co.uk. But what of the Dot US ccTLD? Will Google.us act in the same manner?? I don't think it will. I think Google.us is an extension of their brand.

Also given the fact almost anyone can register a ccTLD, how long will it matter what ccTLD you have. Since Google wants only relevant searches to come up, I see this as a problem for Google ccTLD specific searches. IN Google's world it's about relevancy.

btw: Don't take this as bashing. I'm just trying to "put the cards" on the table. If the information somehow counters your claims, then so be it. You are the one saying, "Don't pay attention to that man behind the curtains".

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

I don't think the "Google" guy ever came back after making his comments. :laugh:

As far as my insecurity goes, I don't think anyone could tell me I'm wrong! :D

Seriously... let's get the facts. Isn't that what smart investors do?? It's the very reason I posted the link. If there is a connection with ccTLD's and Google, everyone should know. It appears there is a connection with Google.de and german sites, and the same goes for co.uk sites and Google.co.uk. But what of the Dot US ccTLD? Will Google.us act in the same manner?? I don't think it will. I think Google.us is an extension of their brand.

Also given the fact almost anyone can register a ccTLD, how long will it matter what ccTLD you have. Since Google wants only relevant searches to come up, I see this as a problem for Google ccTLD specific searches. IN Google's world it's about relevancy.

btw: Don't take this as bashing. I'm just trying to "put the Letcards" on the table. If the information somehow counters your claims, then so be it. You are the one saying, "Don't pay attention to that man behind the curtains".

Your reasoning is very lacking Izopod..

I can assure you you WILL see Google.US bringing up MOSTLY .US results..

It dosent take a visionary(not that you'll ever need to worry about that :D) .

Lets stick with the facts.. Googe IS using .US and they are not using .BIZ :D :laugh:

BTW, GoogleGuy is a Google employee that acts as a conduit between webmasters and Google, He say's extesnions DO matter (as far as ccTLDs) are concerned .

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Lets stick with the facts.. Googe IS using .US and they are not using .BIZ :D :laugh:

How many times do I have to tell you that Google uses ccTLD's to market their SE. Not a bad idea. However for dot US, it doesn't work, no matter how you try to dress up that "pig"!:laugh:

As far as the "GoogleGuy" giving away trade secrets I have to laugh!! :laugh: :laugh: Yeah sounds like a real "high-up" the ladder employee, if he is even one.

Please keep up with the "You don't know Jack" slant. It's almost too comical as I've proven you wrong, time and time again. (i.e your ccTLD Verisign promotion comments)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

How many times do I have to tell you that Google uses ccTLD's to market their SE. Not a bad idea. However for dot US, it doesn't work, no matter how you try to dress up that "pig"!:laugh:

As far as the "GoogleGuy" giving away trade secrets I have to laugh!! :laugh: :laugh: Yeah sounds like a real "high-up" the ladder employee, if he is even one.

Please keep up with the "You don't know Jack" slant. It's almost too comical as I've proven you wrong, time and time again.

Oh Please Izopod your making an ass of yourself...

You dont even know who Googleguy is..and they arent "trade secrects" ..

You are doing nothing but slamming .US no matter what anyone says..

it's obvious you feel threatened by .US

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's obvious you feel threatened by .US

He is pretty transparent isn't he? :)

The only thing comical is how he proves nothing to anyone but declares that he has. Kind of like that Iraqi Information minister whe declared there were no Americans in Baghdad while the tanks were rolling down the street behind him. Izopod is the DNF Minister of Misinformation. :laugh:

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

The only thing comical is how he proves nothing to anyone but declares that he has. Kind of like that Iraqi Information minister whe declared there were no Americans in Baghdad while the tanks were rolling down the street behind him. Izopod is the DN Minister of Misinformation. :laugh:

:laugh: that Guy was something else !

Have we located him yet ? His best line was "it's all an illusion" (denying That American troops were in Baghdad):laugh: :laugh:

I dont think iwe should Kill him though...I mean I think he is "disturbed" .. I'm not much into the death penalty for mental retardation

Put him on Letterman some night and let Dave humiliate the hell ouit of him then let him live out the rest of his life on some mental institution

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont think we should Kill him though

We absolutely should NOT kill him. He is a comic genius. I predict he defects to the U.S. and becomes the lead player on Saturday Night Live. SNL hasn't had anyone that funny since John Belushi left.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

The only thing comical is how he proves nothing to anyone but declares that he has. Kind of like that Iraqi Information minister whe declared there were no Americans in Baghdad while the tanks were rolling down the street behind him. Izopod is the DNF Minister of Misinformation. :laugh:

Oh, great we have Duke and Bid claiming Izopod is spewing "misinformation".

Well, i've got news for Duke/Bid---everything is right there. How can I hide anything when all my comments are on the table.

Contrast that with Bid, writing about how great US is going to be on your site, then you lapping it up. Now that is comical!

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/us.htm

Talk about the blind leading the blind.

FYI (That's "slang" for For your information"): I don't have anything against Dot US. If you look at what I said, I explicitly said that "top tier" US names will have a market. I don't think "second tier" names will. Given the fact there is more choice now then ever before and clearly more on the way.

The same could be said with dot biz. 2nd tier biz names will not have a huge market. Nor will 2nd tier dot info names.

This doesn't mean there will be absolutely no reseller market for 2nd tier dot US names, but clearly what is stopping someone in finding an alternative, offering someone who hasn't used their .com in 5 years a couple hundred bucks for the same dot US name you might have.

Keep in mind. This is not the old "Afternic". I know it's hard to forget the old days where names like SheSleepsNaked.com were being pimped for $25K.

izopodian thought: If two like minded people say your wrong does it make it right?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How can I hide anything when all my comments are on the table.

Exactly. Your comments are on the table. That's all that is needed to prove my point. :)

izopodian thought: If two like minded people say your wrong does it make it right?
Sheesh - that third person reference again. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. Why can't you just say "I think this or that" like a normal person, rather than pretend you are Aristotle's nephew?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contrast that with Bid, writing about how great US is going to be on your site, then you lapping it up. Now that is comical!

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/us.htm

At least he backs up his argument with hot linked references. The only thing you back yours up with is hot air. :)

I formed my own opinions about .US long before I even became acquainted with Bid. However, I was more than happy to publish his article because, unlike yourself, he is a good writer and carefully documents what he has to say. I would publish an equally well done article on any extension, whether I personally liked the extension or not.

You repeatedly say you are stating the "facts" when the only fact is that final market acceptance for all new TLD's has not yet been determined. There are no facts on that issue yet, only personal predictions, observations about current developments and references to sites that are coming online, so please quit pretending otherwise.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Considering the way Google treats all other country codes it uses, it would make logical sense for it to do the same with .us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom