Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google bans M.Mann's book domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed – that is a massive hit on the better and first domain.

The bots apparently have made a decision. Doubtful that a human even looked at or reviewed the site.

And the worst part? Doubtful you could get someone at Google to review the site let alone to discuss the punishment and reverse the decision.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I thought Google ascribed to the "not evil" mentality?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought Google ascribed to the "not evil" mentality?
To be quite honest, I have never viewed Google that way.

My feelings stem from a court case here in the US where Google was ordered to turn over information. Google asserted their rights to withhold this information even refused to abide by a U.S. Federal court order.

The irony was this was precisely the same time Google was trying to gain access to the Chinese market. Google essentially capitulated and caved into each and every demand of the Chinese courts and the Chinese government before being allowed access of the Chinese population. We know that this included stringent and strict censorship of materials, blocking sites, and not allowing access outside the "Great Firewall".

I just find it most ironic that in one country Google would not abide by one court order...while caving in and giving up same rights as ordered by the Chinese courts and Governments - all for the sake of doing business and expanding into another market.

Google seems to be conflicted with itself and apparently is not too concerned about privacy and rights - even though they sure do put on a good front.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well this might just be enough to force Mike to buy Google.... :pound: lmao

hopefully he can get this fixed...:yo:

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same M. Mann who had registrars grabbing domains exclusively for him, depriving the industry of those same domains?

If your looking for sympathy, I think you came to the wrong place.

All monopolies exist to help the little guy.

Not the Monopoly Mann had.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same M. Mann who had registrars grabbing domains exclusively for him, depriving the industry of those same domains?
So what ? The small guy must be thinking the same about us, those domainers who have registrars catching drops for them, leaving nothing but crumbs on the table :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So what ? The small guy must be thinking the same about us, those domainers who have registrars catching drops for them, leaving nothing but crumbs on the table :)

I don't think you understand exactly what he was doing, I think he had like 10 Registrars at one time grabbing domains exclusively for Buydomains, How does that in any way compare to the average domainer who has ZERO and needs to rely on drop catchers? The issue is opportunity, domainers were robbed of the opportunity to grab those same domains, and I put most of the blame on ICANN for allowing it to happen so I'm not going to dump on Mann too much, he saw an opportunity, had the cash to do it with, grabbed it and pissed a lot of domainers off in the process.

Considering what we as domainers lost, why the F should any of us care what Mann lost? Do you honestly care?, I know I sure as hell DON'T. :no:

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you understand exactly what he was doing, I think he had like 10 Registrars at one time grabbing domains exclusively for Buydomains, How does that in any way compare to the average domainer who has ZERO and needs to rely on drop catchers? The issue is opportunity, domainers were robbed of the opportunity to grab those same domains, and I put most of the blame on ICANN for allowing it to happen so I'm not going to dump on Mann too much, he saw an opportunity, had the cash to do it with, grabbed it and pissed a lot of domainers off in the process.

Considering what we as domainers lost, why the F should any of us care what Mann lost? Do you honestly care?, I know I sure as hell DON'T. :no:

@Raider,

From the description, I'm with you on this one, Raider. Personally, I want all power to be as fragmented as possible -- to even the playing field. That's slightly hypocritical coming from me, as a domainer, since we're all opportunists and trying to grab as much as we can. But there's some dignity in knowing that anybody else could have stepped into our shoes and done precisely the same thing. Accumulating a large amount of power and using it to position yourself ahead of others in order to grab even more power ... that's what we would ALL do, given the chance. But I'd prefer a system -- and this goes for all areas of life, political parties, Googles, news propaganda, registries, banks, whatever -- where greed can't get us nearly as far ... myself included.

This is not an attack on M. Mann. At all. I don't know the guy. And I would have done precisely the same thing if I had been in a position to do so. All I'm saying is that the system would be better for more people if nobody could grab a disproportionate share of power.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. This has nothing to do with what Mike Mann did (spending cash to put himself in an advantaged position, because he could.)

This is about stupid Big Brother Google bots blocking/banning a site that was about a book.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. This has nothing to do with what Mike Mann did (spending cash to put himself in an advantaged position, because he could.)

This is about stupid Big Brother Google bots blocking/banning a site that was about a book.
It couldn't be any clearer what the thread is about.

As for how he has pursued this, I can not imagine if he was able to spend sometime with a "human" and not a bot he could persuade them to bring the site/domain back online.

Sometimes google does do the right thing even if it means reversing themselves. I had a site that google pulled out the ads. The reason? A link on my site was a link to an online sports streaming site. It was not pirated material, it was not breaking laws, but streaming media was against google's TOS. I pulled the link off the site. I contacted google. It took a couple of weeks for them to get back to me after I appealed. They found the site to now be compliant and restored the adsense service.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
:violin:

Let's break out the violins for Mike's $10,000 domain loss plus a million dollar brand, LOL.

Theo; How do you figure the domain is a loss when he still owns it?

It's funny that he used a crappy hand reg as it's replacement "MakeMillionsMakeChange.com" it's almost a double down of the first domain.

Kudos to Google for banning it, hopefully they'll ban it again after the first ban is removed.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I want all power to be as fragmented as possible -- to even the playing field. That's slightly hypocritical coming from me, as a domainer, since we're all opportunists and trying to grab as much as we can. But there's some dignity in knowing that anybody else could have stepped into our shoes and done precisely the same thing. Accumulating a large amount of power and using it to position yourself ahead of others in order to grab even more power ... that's what we would ALL do, given the chance. But I'd prefer a system -- and this goes for all areas of life, political parties, Googles, news propaganda, registries, banks, whatever -- where greed can't get us nearly as far ... myself included.

Were pretty much on the same page.. I think my dislike for the Man is deeper than most others, I still remember the email reply he sent me in regard to this, It was F this and F that as he failed miserably in trying to justify it... Seems I struck nerve, TRUTH always has a way of doing that. :)

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It seems pretty clear-cut. Hopefully it will be a black eye for Google and result in some revisions to their procedures.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
:violin:

Let's break out the violins for Mike's $10,000 domain loss plus a million dollar brand, LOL.

Theo; How do you figure the domain is a loss when he still owns it?

It's funny that he used a crappy hand reg as it's replacement "MakeMillionsMakeChange.com" it's almost a double down of the first domain.

Kudos to Google for banning it, hopefully they'll ban it again after the first ban is removed.

String of idiotic statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom