Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google.cz and google

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that google.cz is alive for a long time now and is forwarded to a site similar to google.com ( meaning search engine)

If google.com wants google.cz, can it take it or what is the legal side of this?

Can anyone put more shade on this?

thanks
simon

Domain Days 2024

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first thought on this would be a 'Yes'' Google would have a right to the name. However, it all depends when Google.cz was registered and started as a life as a search engine, but mainly when the Czech government signed up to the international agreement on TM's. If Google.cz was active before this date then it would be an interesting legal case.

My money would still be on Google beating Google.cz just because of their extremely deep pockets no matter what the law says.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, any more thoughts on this one?

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a very interesting observation simon. I wonder why google has never successfully pursued and won this one as they own an extension for google in almost all countries.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because Google doesn't give a sh*t about uninteresting small markets. Same as most of US companies. US companies see USA....long void...than maybe China...They probably confused Czechia with Chechnya and thought "Those terrorist does not use internet anyway..."

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 78222

google.co.za offers search in South Africa in 5 of the 11 official languages(English, Afrikaans, Zulu, Xhosa, Sesotho) - certainly think that this bodes well for their vision of googles future in SA - Any thoughts?

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i am sure south africa is a good market for google. i am sure its because of the internet penetration compared to other african countries.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe google is a generic word in the local language. Perhaps denny can shed some light into this.

Google did not own google.no in the beginning either and it also means "goggles" in Norwegian.

D

Deleted member 78222

A little info for anyone interested in South Africa
Population estimate 46 429 823
22 150 308 male and 24 279 515 female
11 official languages, namely Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, siSwati, Tshivenda and Xitsonga.
Its surface area is 1 219 090 sq km
3 000 km coastline
subtropical climate(Love it)

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A little info for anyone interested in South Africa
Population estimate 46 429 823
22 150 308 male and 24 279 515 female
11 official languages, namely Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele, isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, siSwati, Tshivenda and Xitsonga.
Its surface area is 1 219 090 sq km
3 000 km coastline
subtropical climate(Love it)

it would be more interesting to know the internet side of south africa like Internet penetration ration, literacy rate, per capita income, number of ISPs

D

Deleted member 78222

I will see what i can find and start a new thread.
I do know that there are only around 240 000 names registered so far.
see www.co.za

D

Deleted member 78222

I will see what i can find and start a new thread.
I do know that there are only around 240 000 names registered so far.
see www.co.za

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe google is a generic word in the local language. Perhaps denny can shed some light into this.

Google did not own google.no in the beginning either and it also means "goggles" in Norwegian.

Yes it is becoming kind of generic word - meaning: Google the famous search engine :)

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right. Google is becoming a generic dictionary word.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
According to todays Czech news Google settled with owner of google.cz, because they started (finally) to care also about new markets. They will open new headquarters for east Europe in Poland and developers centrum in Prague.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
google is very much trying to avaoid becomming a generic word, as they are demonstrating with their current lawsuits against some publishing houses.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes it is becoming kind of generic word - meaning: Google the famous search engine :)

The authoritative German dictionary http://duden.de had an entry for the verb "googeln" (ie "to google"), meaning something like "searching for information on the internet in general, or using Google".

Google threatened to sue, Duden gave in and replaced the entry with a specific reference to Google only.

A Duden representative noted dryly that Google will not be able to prevent the usage of the word in this sense in mainstream language.

Google's success - a stumbling block for it's trademark. There's no doubt that it has already been diluted.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The authoritative German dictionary http://duden.de had an entry for the verb "googeln" (ie "to google"), meaning something like "searching for information on the internet in general, or using Google".

Google threatened to sue, Duden gave in and replaced the entry with a specific reference to Google only.

A Duden representative noted dryly that Google will not be able to prevent the usage of the word in this sense in mainstream language.

Google's success - a stumbling block for it's trademark. There's no doubt that it has already been diluted.

interesting information.
i didnt know that

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom