Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Google dropping third level domain names

Status
Not open for further replies.

markts

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a peculiar problem the last 8 or 9 months and can't seem to crack it. We have a few popular domains in which I'm able to add a 'year' as the third level to differentiate between different years of the same event. I have always kept the root domain redirected to the upcoming event (year) - for example, ****.org was redirected to 2012.****.org and now redirects to 2016.****.org. The domain names are the search terms themselves.

Our 2012.****.org domains did very well and not only topped all search engines but we got the super listing with the 8 sub-listings in Google and 6 sub-listings in Yahoo/Bing. We hold the top positions until this day.

About a year ago, Google dropped the 2012 from the url and used only the root ****.org. It didn't bother me as we were still in top positions and I was looking forward to the change of years and how SEO would react. In November of last year, following the 2012 event, I switched the redirect to 2016 and awaited the results. Our 2012 pages reverted back to 2012.****.org and held the top position - cool. The 2016 pages (all new content) took on the root ****.org and held the second position for a few days before dropping out of site. I didn't think much of it and knew that I'd have to put in the normal effort to move back into top positioning.

About 4 months ago, the 2016 pages started listing 1st, 2nd or 3rd position of the first page on Yahoo/Bing and have held to this day.

In Google, I noticed that sub-pages in the 2016 site were moving into 2nd and 3rd page positions but the root domain ****.org was nowhere to be seen. When searching site:****.org the main index page was there. When searching 2016.****.org it was not.

I have multiple domains in the same quagmire and have been trying different configurations over the past months. One interesting test was to redirect the root to a different sub-page in the site thus thinking the main page would revert to the 2016.****.org version as it had for 2012. After a couple of days, I confirmed that the root ****.org had taken the sub-page listing but now, nearly two months later, the main index page for 2016 has not been indexed and is nowhere to be found.

Any ideas appreciated. As I mentioned, we have multiple sites in the same predicament and are able to test different theories at the same time.

Thanks

Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators