Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google in bed with Chinese government

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do the image search for "Tiananmen Square" at http://www.Google.com and then do it at http://www.Google.com.cn

Do you notice any difference?

Google is nothing but another hypocrat American greedy whore that talks one thing, but doe$ another.

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Do the image search for "Tiananmen Square" at http://www.Google.com and then do it at http://www.Google.com.cn

Google is nothing but another hypocrat American greedy whore that talks one thing, but doe$ another.

Abiding by the local laws is wrong?

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://cryptome.cn/tk/tiananmen-kill.htm I get that as 3rd result in China Google. Not sure if they checked my IP or anything though to give me different results. Also results will differ simply because most Chinese don't speak english. Why would they want English language result pages?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he is talking about when you do a search in the US you receive images about the search term, but when you do a search using google.cn you receive different results.

Personally, I do not see any problem to this.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
LOL! Being a "dissident" who came to live in Canada at least partly because of what happened in Tiananmen Square in 1989, I guess I am well qualified to comment on this.

Yes, I notice the difference; but I must say the difference is totally justified. To some ill-informed Westerners, "Tiananmen Square" is probably one of the few (I mean very few) things they "know" (if that is the right word) about China; but unfortunately, their very limited understanding is only confined to ... yes, what happened back in 1989. However, to the majority of the Chinese population, "Tiananmen Square" means A LOT more: it's the place where A LOT of major events happened, incl. the establishment of the People's Republic of China in 1949, all those mass rallies during the Cultural Revolution in the 1960s, or even the Tiananmen Incident in 1976 when Deng was accused as the "black hand" behind the scene; not only that, the place is also a tourist attraction for people from outside the capital city, and a familiar place to go for celebrating e.g. the National Day or New Year.

As a result, when the Chinese people think of Tiananmen Square, those are the images in their minds: a square or park with tourists taking pictures, and NOT that row of tanks!

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
As a result, when the Chinese people think of Tiananmen Square, those are the images in their minds: a square or park with tourists taking pictures, and NOT that row of tanks!

Are you saying that no Chinese visualizes tanks when thinking of Tiananmen Square? Because it sounds like you are implying that all those democracy wishes is just an american propaganda, and Chinese, like some extras in S & M movie, are quite happy to be crushed by tanks?

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Abiding by the local laws is wrong?

If the law is wrong, then abiding by it is also wrong.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms.. but let's face it. I'm sure we can all agree that no government has been right 100% of the time. We can also take this a step further and say that some governments are not only wrong, but very wrong, i.e. Holocaust, Genocide, and other such events and practices.

I personally don't agree with China's ban on free information. They are brainwashing the citizens to know only what they want them to know about what goes on in the rest of the world.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or here is a simple solution. Stop buying Chinese made products. Oh wait a sec we are using them right now to have this conversation.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what are we using? just curios

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
probably your chair, desk, computer, moniter, printer and stapler.

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Google. What's worse, abiding by draconian rules or not offering your services at all?

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
probably your chair, desk, computer, moniter, printer and stapler.

Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Google. What's worse, abiding by draconian rules or not offering your services at all?

Exactly, I just love to hear rants from people that are using the very products of the government they are themselves keeping in business.

Makes me think of an environmentalist I know that smokes. :peace:

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
I just love to hear rants from people that are using the very products of the government they are themselves keeping in business.

If it wasn't for another American hypocrat whore (U.S. government) you wouldn't have "Made in China" products in the U.S. to begin with. That's exactly what I am talking about. Google wouldn't do anything that the U.S. government wouldn't do (talks publicly about Chinese govt. appaling abuse of "human rights", lack of freedom and democracy, yet giving that country the "most preferred partner" trading status). If it wasn't for the powerful and rabid anti-Castro lobby in South Florida, they would do the same with Cuba etc.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
yet giving that country the "most preferred partner" trading status).
FYI: Although it SOUNDS special, the Most Favored Nation (MFN) status is granted to almost ANYBODY, incl. say ALL members of the WTO (World Trade Organization), which literally means EVERYBODY on earth. On the contrary, NOT granting the MFN status basically means that you are enemies.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who says its wrong? You may think its wrong, I may think its wrong and others do but what about the people who dont think its wrong? Google has stockholders to impress, Google isnt going to break the chinese laws, why? Google will not be accessible in china if that becomes the case, They are giving as much information as they can and still abiding by local laws, You cant criticize google for that, rather criticize the chinese govt for forcing the laws upon people.

007 said:
If the law is wrong, then abiding by it is also wrong.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms.. but let's face it. I'm sure we can all agree that no government has been right 100% of the time. We can also take this a step further and say that some governments are not only wrong, but very wrong, i.e. Holocaust, Genocide, and other such events and practices.

I personally don't agree with China's ban on free information. They are brainwashing the citizens to know only what they want them to know about what goes on in the rest of the world.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
FYI: Although it SOUNDS special, the Most Favored Nation (MFN) status is granted to almost ANYBODY, incl. say ALL members of the WTO (World Trade Organization), which literally means EVERYBODY on earth. On the contrary, NOT granting the MFN status basically means that you are enemies.

FYI: MFN was changed to NTR ("Normal Trade Relations") designation a few years ago.

"...There currently are a few countries which must obtain an annual presidential waiver or extension of a waiver to continue their NTR status. China is the most important country in this group which must obtain an annual waiver to maintain NTR. The waiver for China has been in effect since 1980. Every year, since 1989, legislation has been introduced in Congress to disapprove the President's waiver. The legislation has sought to tie China's NTR renewal to meeting certain human rights conditions that go beyond freedom of emigration. So far, attempts to deny China NTR have failed.

Libya, Iran, and Iraq have NTR, however, U.S. laws have imposed trade embargoes with these countries. "

"With NTR status, imports from China have a maximum tariff of 2% while China maintains a 30% to 40% tariff on US goods. Since we started MFN with China, the trade deficit has been increasing from $5 Billion in 1989 to $40 Billion now,"

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll ponder this Monday as I think about the war on drugs as I drink my columbian coffee driving my chinese car running on Saudi oil talking on my korean cellphone to the company I work for recently bought by a japanese firm that has just outsourced more jobs to India. Oh that reminds me I need to call for support on my broken chinese computer to a call center in india to special order more parts from china.

I need to stop at the chain down the street that was recently purchased by another overseas company and pick up some signs and flags that were made in China because I have to take a german plane that burns more saudi oil to Washington for a "Save the US" rally.

Thank god for my vegitarian wife that wears patent leather italian shoes. We recently cut back on Margaritas so that we could afford another child.

Please American consumers minds have atrophied from apathy many years ago. They have no idea where to place their rage.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read about this, and Google's viewpoint seemed to be that a censored Google in China is better than no Google at all. If I was a Chinese citizen, I'd probably rather have a censored Google than no Google. Will pulling all business out of China and having no contact with them really help the average person over there? Or is it better to deal with them on their terms for now and try to initiate change over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom