Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google snafu! Check your domain landers for unrelated keywords!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
For the past twelve days or so, revenue for my domain GameSurf.com has trickled down from $10 a day to a few cents. Meanwhile, the number of unique visitors remained the same: between 85 to 100 a day. The CTR dropped.

I found out that despite the fact that the domain was optimized to use the keyword "video games" and the appropriate category (Electronics, Computers etc) the Google feed displayed an endless stream of ads related to "surfing", "beach vacations" and other such content unrelated to my gaming content. NO ads about video games ever appear.

Sedo responded that it's been now 2 weeks that Google is forcing such content display due to misuse of keywords by domain owners who choose high-paying keywords for domains unrelated to that keyword. Sedo said that their keywords are merely "suggestions" to Google! So Google is taking the domain apart and does its own determination of what the content should be about, with disastrous results!

I moved GameSurf.com to Parked.com and will be reporting the results, hopefully it will return to normal under the Yahoo feed that Parked uses.

Today I found out that another one of my games related domains, 360.org, behaves in the same manner; although the keyword used is xbox 360-related, a bunch of ads with the number "360" appear. CTR dropped like an apple from a tree, traffic is natural and therefore sustained but revenue dropped.

After optimizing hundreds of domains manually, Google undoes my effort in a single move! I am not pleased with this and I will be testing ALL of my domains with Sedo this weekend, despite having had other plans and I suggest that you do the same. :upset:

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look around you for the reason Google is forced to do this. How many members on DNF define blatant keyword abuse as "optimization?" Google has to protect my (advertising) interest or I take my money elsewhere.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All I know is that every ****ing keyword I put is legit; then Sedo takes 2-3 days to "approve" it - and it now becomes a plot more complex than what it should be! I have natural traffic that it stopped converting just because Google got all pricked and decided to tweak the way ads display.

Parked.com keywords are not only more accurate but changes are instant! Are you telling me Yahoo knows better than Google how to do things?

It's a matter of dynamics: we need to exert pressure on Sedo so that they do the same to Google.

Everybody should check their Sedo landers this weekend for unrelated crap!

Example below, instead of video game ads I now get a screenload of CRAP!

googlecrap.gif

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're making this more complicated than it needs to be: Advertisers have the money. They need to be kept happy. Google will do what is necessary to keep them happy.

If you're so confidant that your traffic is worth more money than you're being paid, monetize it on CPA basis and see what happens.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
WTF are you smoking, Cyrus?

All I said is that Google DOES NOT DISPLAY THE ADS IT HAS BEEN DISPLAYING SO FAR and does not match them with the keyword registered with Sedo! It displays UNRELATED ads - that's why people don't click on them.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a reason Google would be limiting the freedom to self-select keywords. Many domainers have been abusing the privilege (under the guise of "optimization") and it has hurt advertiser's margins. Don't be pissed at Sedo or Google about this, look around you at the domainers parking wikipedia typos on keywords like "Buy Encyclopedias." They have shaken confidence in the marketplace and Google has to defend us advertisers so we don't pull our wallets away.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen this happen a few times elsewhere... especially if you have domains comprised of a couple of generic words, some times one keyword will take precedence over the other even if I specify otherwise.

And in cases of geo+keyword names, it gets frustrating when the geo takes priority and starts displaying unrelated ads about tourism or hotels in that city... not much you can do about it really...

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a reason Google would be limiting the freedom to self-select keywords. Many domainers have been abusing the privilege (under the guise of "optimization") and it has hurt advertiser's margins. Don't be pissed at Sedo or Google about this, look around you at the domainers parking wikipedia typos on keywords like "Buy Encyclopedias." They have shaken confidence in the marketplace and Google has to defend us advertisers so we don't pull our wallets away.

Google allows typo squatters with their adsense for domains. how relevant are those ads?????????

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the Parked.com trial.

PM me if you have to.

This is not the first time I have seen this and this is not going down very well at all.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google allows typo squatters with their adsense for domains. how relevant are those ads?????????

I'm not positive what you're asking, but for the most part trademark typos convert well. Being legal is another question, but yes they provide relevant quality traffic.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I actually pulled all my "Louisiana" domains from SEDO because it rarely finds anything related to Louisiana EXCEPT New Orleans, French Quarter or LSU.

Welkin

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Sedo needs 3 days to update a keyword... The only reason would be to make a manual check for relevance... But if Google overwrites the keyword anyway I don't see any reason for this manual check.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't know why Sedo needs 3 days to update a keyword... The only reason would be to make a manual check for relevance... But if Google overwrites the keyword anyway I don't see any reason for this manual check.

My point exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom