Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google TM advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As you probably heard, yesterday Google launched their own IM service, Google Talk: http://www.google.com/talk/

On "Google Talk", your "Buddies" or contacts are refered to as "Friends".

I registered a "GoogleTalkFriends" domain, with the idea of setting up a forum based site where people can meet like minded Google Talk users to add to their Friends list.

My question is to anyone who has ever had experience with a "Google" -themed site, such as:
Google-Watch.org
GoogleCommunity.com
GoogleAlert.com
GoogleGuide.com
GoogleRankings.com
etc.

Will they come down on me like a ton of bricks? Can I expect a C&D letter within a few days, or could it take a couple of years for them to even notice? If I do recieve a C&D and comply with it, is that the end of it, or could I still see myself facing legal action? Am I just asking for trouble?

I would be grateful to hear your own experiences and advice.
Thanks,

Neil

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://googlecommunity.com Does very well, As far as i know no problems from Google, I know a few other google websites that have had no problems with google in the name, GoogleCommunity has been up for years so i dont think so, the only reason i can see them coming after you is if it were a google hate site, You should be okay.

chungju4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
paulrogers250 said:
http://googlecommunity.com Does very well, As far as i know no problems from Google, I know a few other google websites that have had no problems with google in the name, GoogleCommunity has been up for years so i dont think so, the only reason i can see them coming after you is if it were a google hate site, You should be okay.

they go after typos or any domains on ppc pages.

ive had a few letters from the 'taskforce' team as they are called. just told them to f* off and never heard back

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
using a trademark name itself already counted as looking for trouble. I remember a guy here who sell his website google-pagerank.net. He receive letters from google that tell does not allow him to place adsense code on his website. Even if they does not sue him or ask him to shut down his website, but he cant generate any revenue.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chungju4 said:
ive had a few letters from the 'taskforce' team as they are called. just told them to f* off and never heard back

And why would you insult them? You're the one exploiting their property.

namecents

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not always exploiting the property. It could be a parody site, fansite, or critism site like walmartsucks.com

That said, I got an email from google regarding a googlewallet domain name. And while I don't think it was illegal for me to have it, I decided to transfer it over to them anyways. They were fairly nice about it and offered to pay back my reg' costs.

chungju4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
financialtraffic said:
And why would you insult them? You're the one exploiting their property.

because it happened to be the name of a major port / small town in the uk.

GOOLE

Kristopher

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
I would be grateful to hear your own experiences and advice.
Thanks,

Neil

How about the lawsuit that forced GoogleGear to change their name to ZipZoomFly?

http://www.google.com/googlegear.html
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0125.html

Maybe GoogleMail?

http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/114712.htm

Actually, there's a whole list of reasons why it isn't the best idea to do this if you don't have prior art:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/swish....=Search!&metaname=swishdefault&sort=swishrank

Kristopher

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well what's the worst that can happen you have to give them the site? oh well it's life try it out. =)

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainCrazy said:
Well what's the worst that can happen you have to give them the site? oh well it's life try it out. =)

How about a $100,000.00 fine??????? the penalty that may be assessed to a squatter if it was to be pursued in court.

Hey, try out that life....Geesh

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNQuest.com said:
How about a $100,000.00 fine??????? the penalty that may be assessed to a squatter if it was to be pursued in court.

Hey, try out that life....Geesh

If You are outside US, then they can send You as many bills as they like, but they have nothing to take from You. Ok You may never go to US, but who really cares.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regarless if you like the US or not, there are penalties that can be applied. It was incorrectly stated about the worse case senario. Just merely correcting. I will also add, once you labeled a cybersquatter, it could and probably will be used against you in any future disputes.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainCrazy said:

That's what I figured. I have registered the domain and started to develop. If they issue me with a Cease and Desist, I will...

DNQuest.com said:

That could only happen if I was stupid enough to contest them. I'm sure they're wouldn't pursue it if I complied.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What if the company what tired of the squatters and wanted to make an example of you for any future squatters?

Senario:
The company files a lawsuit without issuing a C+D.
The company could be unwilling to listen to any of your proposals to resolve.
The company has it set they want a legal precedent for this situation and will not settle with you.

Why would a company do this? One, it garnishes world news that if you mess with thier TM, they will come after you, therefore, squatters would think twice before regging thier TM. So the money they pay now will be money they won't pay in the future due to squatters thinking twice beforer they register the TM. Say Bill Gates, he had enough of the illegal MS TMed domains. He has the money to support a lawsuit. He wants the world to know, do not mess with him. Don't you think that would send shockwaves to all the squatters out there? Gates would never do it because it would hurt business and make him look more like the evil overlord. but what if that happened?

Is this practical, heck no. Is it possible, very much so. So just because you think that by offering to give back a domain is your "out" from being prosecuted, think again. Yes, this is an outrageous senario, but it is one that could happen if a company gets decides to make an example of someone.

Here is an example we could relate to:

You steal a candy form the store, you get busted. You say, here is your candy bar back, does that mean you no longer committed a crime? No

They say, give the candy bar back, then be off on your way... that is like receiving a C+D and you give the domain back. This is what you are saying

They say, I am going to prosecute, wait for the police. You say, over a candy bar? they said, yes ALL shoplifters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That would be like my senario I presented.

namecents

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
paulrogers250 said:
Did you take the reg costs? ;)

Sorry it took so long, I forgot about this thread. To answer your question, no, I wont take the money.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just got a C&D for GoogleAdult.com which was grabbed on July 31st by Enom's Club Drop. Google sure didn't waste any time on this one!
They must want this one really bad; someone from MarkMonitor.com (Google's registrar) has already contacted me about the transfer! Is there anything I can do at this point?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Google is the Big Brother. Beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom