Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Google to Demote Sites With High Number of Copyright Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kettle calling the pot black...google itself is in the midst of a 2 billion $$$ filing for violating copyrights of books that it freely copied in their entirety and published in Google books (it may have even been a 200 billion $$$ filing).

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Google is still going to do what it wants.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Although I agree with Google's intentions, I can see how this could be abused, especially by competitors filing accusations that are unwarranted, Hopefully the counter notices will provide a check and balance for sites that are unfairly being targeted.

To the Cybersquatter this of course is bad news and I wish I could say I care but I honestly DON'T.. Nothing worse than searching Google and finding illegitimate web sites that infringe on other peoples trademarks.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you read the link I posted carefully, you will understand what is going on.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...you will understand what is going on.
Oddly enough, where is youtube on that list?

I can not count the number of times I have gone to look at a link to you tube only to have a notice saying the video was taken down.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google shows 95% of their historical record but "...requests directed at YouTube or Blogger are not included...". So YouTube and Blogger make up 5% and the 5 biggest offenders combined make up less than 5%. Hilarious. Wonder when Googling Google will be ineffective.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google is cleaning up the web !!

All hail Google !!

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Google is cleaning up the web !!

All hail Google !!

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I probably have the same disdain for cybersqatters as you do, I look at them as the bottom feeders of our industry. I must say I like and agree with Googles intention here but my only concern is legitimate sites being unfailrly demoted in the search ranking by competitors or anyone else. I'm not so convinced Google has enough safeguards in place to prevent this from happening.

On another note, what I find most ironic is this thread is, we have at least 4 posters who have a history of supporting regulation of private businesses, "The more regulation the better it is for consumers" but when their industry or they themselves are regulated it's a WHOLE different story.

Last edited:

ilovedomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kettle calling the pot black...google itself is in the midst of a 2 billion $$$ filing for violating copyrights of books that it freely copied in their entirety and published in Google books (it may have even been a 200 billion $$$ filing).

They are the worlds worst spammers too. I made a client a geo website for scrap metal pick up in his area and he is the #2 listing. Google has so much of their own links, crap, maps, and clutter at the top of the page that if he falls to #3, he will be on page two.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you read the link I posted carefully, you will understand what is going on.

I see a few things going on and it's scary.

It's not just domains but also content.

Just look at the top reported domains - all look like file sharing sites plus I wonder how many of these organizations and companies are overstretching their TM rights?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see a few things going on and it's scary.

It's not just domains but also content.

Just look at the top reported domains - all look like file sharing sites plus I wonder how many of these organizations and companies are overstretching their TM rights?
I have a feeling that now anything associated with a name of file + sharing or content + sharing is going to immediately get slapped down if not totally banned.

Pirate Bay is a big example of this. That entire mess is still going on. Not only were they yanked off the internet, a NZ judge ruled the seizure of property and the entire police action was totally illegal. And it pissed him off even more that the US feds pretty much are the ones that prompted the raid on the NZ property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom