Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Got some low opinions on my mobi domain elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

icil

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think?

What is u-2 . mobi worth?

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Your not serious are you?

icil

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your not serious are you?

I am serious. The people posting at the domain newbies subforum claimed mobi domains were completely worthless. I think someone even said they weren't worth reg fee!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well they were right imo.
This name may have TM issues. Other than that it's a hyphenated .mobi, I hope you've done your homework.
The .mobi TLD isn't exactly shining nowadays for investment purposes.

Other than a famous band, what could u2 stand for ?

icil

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well they were right imo.
This name may have TM issues. Other than that it's a hyphenated .mobi, I hope you've done your homework.
The .mobi TLD isn't exactly shining nowadays for investment purposes.

Other than a famous band, what could u2 stand for ?

I looked into this and because of the hyphen, it's different enough from the band. The term "u 2" is a common short form for "you too". Might work as a mobile social networking site. Or anything given that it's very memorable.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I too have to agree with worthless.

Check out www.3character.com. L-N.net domains are worth about $30 and from there, it trails off drastically. Even N-L.org names are only worth reg fee. I would put .mobi near the very bottom on the value scale (below .info, .us, .ca, .co, etc.)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
give it up dude. i have major premium mobis but there is little to no hope for them.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold a .mobi once through sedo inquiry. I was lucky. After sedo took $50, I get $150, so I was happy. Had I kept the name, I would not have sold it, and end up facing renewal fees. No good.

I bought another 2 .mobi, one was hand regged and another from this forum. Ended up dropping it. .Mobi is Liability.

Your name- if trade marked, then it puts you in danger of infringement.

If no trademark, then two problem:

1. got hyphen
2. a .mobi

Both are not favorable.

I would just get rid of it.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
U2 was also the name of an aircraft that was a spy plane, long before there was a U2 band.

a .mobi with a hyphen has very little value in general, you would be lucky to get a decent sale on it. if it were mine I'd drop it.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold one for $300 last month, in its day it would have fetched low-mid $,$$$

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
U2 was also the name of an aircraft that was a spy plane, long before there was a U2 band.
You are right. The purpose is still narrow. IMO the hyphen spoils the name that is otherwise very short. The name doesn't pass the radio test, you would have to spell you-hyphen-two.
If you're on a mobile phone entering the hyphen may also require a few additional keystrokes. That's one more reason why this name is not a winner.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm dropping better .mobi's
I see no value ...sorry ( even if U2 owned it not much value.) JMO

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi was a "pump and dump" scam from a few years ago.

You should have "dumped" years ago, immediately after the "pump" cycle. You are holding a rotting corpse.

BTW, I posted this years ago, DURING the "pump" of .mobi and got lots of hate mail over it. Once again, turns out my statements were 100% accurate. I also got a some hate mail when I first posted that I suspected shill bidding on Snapnames by halverz... and I was 100% accurate there as well. Maybe I should make a website of my hate mail :)

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still remember the .mobi auction at sedo of the keyword names, and how people were fighting over them, lol, mass euphoria do I ever miss those days.

.mobi is not a good investment, look around for a quality .com/.net name and invest your time into that, listen to what these people are saying they know what they are talking about...

I am sure you see a great 3 character domain, but the extension is unknown, and obsolete by end user standards.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
obsolete by end user standards.

It was obsolete the moment the first "smart phone" was released, since the whole concept hinged on the inability of mobile phones to red html pages. A lot of people simply didn't get that.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even 3 letter .mobi is hard to sell, even at a cheap price. Ones that are sold are either generic or luck, or just by master domainers, who know what they're doing. I'm not one of them, so I got lucky. It was cashexpress.mobi.

If I could give any tips to a first-day domainer, it would be to keep reading, and you'll get all the info. Read dncollege. Ask questions, just like what you're doing.

Veterans keeps saying "stick to the .com". I find this to be true. One master told me to wait till you make a million dollar sell with a .com first, then you can invest in other dots. Once you can make your first $1m sell with a .com, you'll be experienced enough to buy other dots and not waste your money, master says.

So, according to this master, make your first $1,000,000 sell with your .com. Then, you can invest in .mobi or any other dots.

Yes, master. lol

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the days of .mobi, there was lots of hype and wishful thinking, and heated debates :) For some .mobi was like the second coming of .com, it would even bury .com, after all mobile Internet access would become the norm.

Now TLDs are launched or relaunched every year, there are always newbies who get caught and waste a lot of money yet I think people are starting to take notice (that the landscape hasn't really shifted toward new extensions).

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.mobi was a "pump and dump" scam from a few years ago.

You should have "dumped" years ago, immediately after the "pump" cycle. You are holding a rotting corpse.

BTW, I posted this years ago, DURING the "pump" of .mobi and got lots of hate mail over it. Once again, turns out my statements were 100% accurate.

Agree 100% with the Pump and Dump.... Mobi is almost like a Pyramid scheme when you think about it, Domainers who got in early and flipped them made good profits, but the ones who got in late are left holding a bag of debt, I think this is what ticks me off the most, that we had exclusive and long time members here recklessly pumping up a TLD just so they could enrich themselves.. The way they continued to give it life just so they could unload their failed investment onto unsuspecting domainers, Newbies who came here for help and guidance and left here with a portfolio of crap and a credit card bill they mostly likely couldn't afford to repay... Like the Newb who spent over 10K on a few Mobi's at auction, today that poor soul would be lucky to get $500 for them.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Veterans keeps saying "stick to the .com". I find this to be true. One master told me to wait till you make a million dollar sell with a .com first, then you can invest in other dots. Once you can make your first $1m sell with a .com, you'll be experienced enough to buy other dots and not waste your money, master says.

So, according to this master, make your first $1,000,000 sell with your .com. Then, you can invest in .mobi or any other dots.

Yes, master.

With the exception of re-investing in Mobi, I agree 100%.. Take for example the domainer who invested $5000 in a portfolio of 500 Mobi's, that domainer would of been far better off investing in 1 or 2 dot com's... The dot coms I paid the most for, I was able to sell the fastest and at a substantial profit. You need to spend money to make money in this business... Fastest sale I ever had was a domain I picked up at Pool for 2K, which I later sold 10 days later for $25K to a end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom