Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GreatDomains.com to FOLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WOW This will have a BIG impact on all the reseller / auction sites. GreatDomains shutting down is just a small part of this. I assume that Register.com and Afternic had the same idea. Seems they're taking the hint from Sedo. So as I take it, us reseller dudes and gals will be asked to pay a fee to list our names to resolve as for sale when someone types in a name to register at the participating registrars.

I'd like to keep up on this. Has anyone talked to their registrar to find out if they will be participating and what the "fees" will be to place a name listing on the search engines?

We all need to follow this one! Doc

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What happens with all those t-shirts they printed? :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>eEstateAgents.com: Where did you hear about this?

I didn't hear it. I saw it on THEIR website. Please refer to the PDF link of my original post.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great Domains and Afternic have both realized a model that was created when domain were selling for outrageous prices will not work now. It appears to me that neither one will be going away completely, but will be phased into the new Verisign backed WLS (Wait List Service).

As I read it, they are deleting a huge store of names that are not moving, because most are priced too high, and nobody is there searching for them. Afternic has done similar by deleting any domain without activity within 30 days. With the millions of domains dropped in the last 18 months, their databases were both useless. Poor quality names just take space and resources with no income, and make it hard to find good ones.

It appears verisign has maybe found a way to get money instead of giving free parking pages. I would image they are charging for putting a fixed price for sale page for those who pay the listing fee.

My guess is a person will enter a name they want to register. If available they get a reg fee. If not, it offers them a name listed for sale if the person paid their parking fee. If bought, they'll take a commission. If not listed for sale, they will offer to sell you a WLS on the domain for when and if it ever drops. If taken, then they will try to suggest another name that is available or for sale. For them it's probably good, as they almost don't take no for an answer and offer you many options to buy. For the reseller, it's just another way to get a listing fee regardless if you sell. Actually, this is how ebay stays in business, by getting at least some small amount for everything listed whether it sells or not.

Looks like we are in for some big changes in business models.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info post.

Comes as no suprise..

Reflects industry 'tidal waves'

which results in more 'smart' marketing on behalf of the DNtraders..

GD closure, is of no loss to me personally, and hopefully others will not be 'majorily' effected as well.

Life goes on..

Brush the dust off..
and market your names direct to your end user folks.

Goodluck to all!

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by boychik
What happens with all those t-shirts they printed? :D

The will become collectors items and be in the same boat as all the other dot com busts. :D

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
It us fairly public knowledge how much Register.com paid for Afternic (about $40 million).

Does anybody know how much VeriSLIME paid for GreatDomains?

-Bob

hhunterjr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bob,

Just for curiousity, I've done an internet search to find out how much Verisign spent to acquire GreatDomains.

There are plenty of articles/press releases that discuss the acquisition, but they don't give a price tag for the acquisition.

The exact cost that Verisign spent to acquire GreatDomains must be confidential information that is held within the organization.

- Harold Hunter Jr.
[email protected]

http://www.DomainTerritory.com

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, "confidential information that is held within the organization".

Just like any other information anyone wants to know about anything from Verisign, on hold domains, transfer requests, other department phone numbers etc etc. It's just one giant secret over there. Other than overpriced services, and fees on most stuff provided for free at other registrars, that is another reason Verisign couldn't pay me to use their company.

I called Verisign to ask about the program mentioned in this thread, and after talking to several customer support people (some almost speak English) and their supervisors, the information I got was 0, zippo, nada and they are not allowed to give out phone numbers to any department that would be handling this.

The company is like a big black hole out there in the domain space.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure GreatDomains was purchased for 100 Million. Talk about a bad investment.

RMF

NameBox

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob
It us fairly public knowledge how much Register.com paid for Afternic (about $40 million).

-Bob

I had read accounts of up to $100 million. Very, very, very hard to believe that they could have been THAT stupid ..

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
VS makes me sick, physically - for real.
I wouldn't be surprised if all those PREMIUM "stolen" names that have been "transferred back" to NSI recently with bogus whois info will suddenly be for sale on that new VS domain store thing.
Makes one think VS put in the bogus whois info themselves so they can auction those names themselves on their new platform.
:mad:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They couldn't do that beatz, could they? But as I said again and again, that they have done lousy things to SO MANY people's domain names clearly demonstrates their incompetence in managing even a shrinking number of registrations and perhap also in monitoring low-level malpractice.

But with their way of doing things, they will probably be phased out and become just a minor player in the industry. Thank God!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure they can.
Just like Microsoft tries to rule the software world and gets away with almost anything, VS tries to do the same in the domains world - and so far they also seem to get away with everything.
I mean,c'mon - VS being the registry, being a registrar, being the WLS and NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST?! Geez..
Plus owning snapnames,plus snapnames will be given the opportunity to convert existing snapbacks into WLS and stuff - believe me, VS do try EVERYTHING they can to become a monopoly.
Including faking whois info.

eEstateAgents.com

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
$100,000,000 ....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bob

-Bob

I read that they paid in the region of (87 Million Dollars) cash & stock deal.

- Laura

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy that the sale of openaccess.net (done via greatdomains.com) has finally gone through. This would probably be my LAST deal with them (before they fold up in less than 2 months).

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stocdoctor
So as I take it, us reseller dudes and gals will be asked to pay a fee to list our names to resolve as for sale when someone types in a name to register at the participating registrars.

I'd like to keep up on this. Has anyone talked to their registrar to find out if they will be participating and what the "fees" will be to place a name listing on the search engines?

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never understood why anyone would park their domains at GD or Afternic.

You already own the domain. It was your domain that found your customer, not GD or AFternic. Anyone can put up a "make an offer" page for next to nothing. So why would you give them anything to have them email you an offer that you could have gotten yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom