Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

greatdomains.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anyone have any thoughts/experiences on using greatdomains.com? Do they get you any better exposure? I like the fact that they have much smaller lists of domains, sorting out alot of the crap, but just was curious to hear what others had to say.

Thanks.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sold one domain with them, and then they changed their format. Now they screen the names.

register

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
they SUCK and are VERY VERY SLOW on disbursement, 3 weeks passed i hv not received my funds , i call it a PAIN to deal with greatdomains.com !!!

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what you sell there?

it might not even be them..

could be the buyer.

you never know when you are dealing with a middle man

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When you list with GreatDomains (or afternic showcase and a few others for that matter) you are required (via terms/contract) to use GreatDomains as a broker (I believe the contract is 6 months).

So if you get a $1m offer via Whois, you still have to go through GreatDomains.

Can't speak from experience, was going to list with them, then at the end decided not to.

I do wonder if how well they sell though :)

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mogtnomr said:
anyone have any thoughts/experiences on using greatdomains.com?

I first used greatdomains.com back in their early days before VeriSign bought them ... very nice experience, smooth transactions, and they were flexible on commissions.

Then VeriSign bought them...their staff became seemingly much smaller and poor, impersonal service...it was like dealing with the "old" NSI - everything via email and never anyone to actually talk to :-(

With all that said, my experience with the current incarnation of GreatDomains is limited to them rejecting listing my various domains and NEVER personally telling me why - not upset they rejected them per se, but that they continued to ignored me and only reply back with automated computer-generated emails :angry:

Ron

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
When you list with GreatDomains (or afternic showcase and a few others for that matter) you are required (via terms/contract) to use GreatDomains as a broker (I believe the contract is 6 months).

So if you get a $1m offer via Whois, you still have to go through GreatDomains...

Afternic's User Agreement keeps changing and changing...and it's getting very restrictive in some regards...see http://www.afternic.com/agreement.php excerpt below:

"For any domain name registration or web site sale that occurs between you and another member after being introduced through this site less than six months prior to the sale, you agree to pay a sales fee to Company. The current sales fee amount is posted on company's website. Such introductions include any communication facilitated by the site's listings, offers, messages to members, and our forum site, DiscussNames.com except domains that are sold using Afternic Bazaar auction. The sales fee will be paid by the seller, and guaranteed by the buyer. The fee must be received by Company from seller within 30 days of the sale. If Company does not receive such payment within 30 days of the sale, the buyer member agrees pay Company the brokerage fee within 30 days of receiving notice from Company that the seller did not pay the fee within the first 30 days."

The bulk of above section didn't exist and there was no explicit commitment on sales venue, then it was a 30 day commitment, and now it's a 6 month comment...still some big loopholes in there, but bet those holes won't be in there for much longer as competition picks up.

Many folks with expensive high-end listings on Afternic could potentially find bill collectors coming after them for 10% of the sale price if they choose to sell the listed domains at Sedo or some other venue instead.

For me, Afternic is a great sales venue for low- to mid-value domains, but for high-value domains, the "lock-in" factor is a problem I can't ignore and thus refrain from listing much there anymore.

Ron

register

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
I first used greatdomains.com back in their early days before VeriSign bought them ... very nice experience, smooth transactions, and they were flexible on commissions.

Then VeriSign bought them...their staff became seemingly much smaller and poor, impersonal service...it was like dealing with the "old" NSI - everything via email and never anyone to actually talk to :-(

With all that said, my experience with the current incarnation of GreatDomains is limited to them rejecting listing my various domains and NEVER personally telling me why - not upset they rejected them per se, but that they continued to ignored me and only reply back with automated computer-generated emails :angry:

Ron

Exactly terrible experience ! I asked them why so slow for their internal communication , the answer is " I am not sure why but i expect we are in west coast and our finance department is back east ! "

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
register said:
they SUCK and are VERY VERY SLOW on disbursement, 3 weeks passed i hv not received my funds , i call it a PAIN to deal with greatdomains.com !!!
Not sure about the "new" GreatDomains.com, but I have sold more than just a handful of domain names through the "old" system. VERY prompt payment: usually within 7-10 days; the fastest one being 4 days, and I got my cheque via courier IN CANADA!

register

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Not sure about the "new" GreatDomains.com, but I have sold more than just a handful of domain names through the "old" system. VERY prompt payment: usually within 7-10 days; the fastest one being 4 days, and I got my cheque via courier IN CANADA!

They were fast , but now being dumb .

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom