Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GreatDomains - New Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had one of my domains accepted at GreatDomains . This is my first experience with GreatDomains. Does anyone have any horror stories or success stories they feel especially inclined to share?

One thing that worries me a bit -- I am filling out the paperwork, but I see no provision in the contract for selling the domain outside of GreatDomains. If I sell the domain to someone -- i.e., via this board -- will I owe GD the $500 minimum commission, or is this only if they handle the sale? Does GD have an exclusive right to broker the domain, or can I list it with TDNAM, etc.? The only thing I see that could POSSIBLE speak to this is the following wording:
contract said:
2. Acceptance of Offer. VeriSign shall, on behalf of the Reistrant, receive all offers for the Domain Name from interested parties.

Does this mean that any and all offers received MUST be channeled through GD? So how do we define "interested parties" -- those whose interest is aroused through the GD website, or any party who becomes interested in the domain through other channels?

Also, I don't see anything mentioned about what happens after the contract is signed. Do I need to transfer the domain to Verisign or anything crazy like that?

Anyway, just a bit confused, and thought perhaps someone here can clear the air for me.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
Ask them via email and you'll have their response in writing.

[email protected]

Thanks, NY. I was reluctant to do this, because I didn't want to raise any "red flags" or get my offer rescinded. But I did, all the same:
Dear SAM,

Thank you for contacting Great Domains.

Once you sign the agreement, your domain will be listed on our site. We do not require that you change Registrar's while you are listed with us. Also, you can park your domain where ever you please.

You can sell your domain out side of Great Domains, all we require is that you inform us and we will terminate the agreement. If you choose to use our Escrow service, there is a 10% transaction fee.

We hope this information has been helpful. If you have questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email.

There you have it. Guess I'm not sure what I was worried for. Thanks for the advice.

So... that question's answered. Any horror stories anyone?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seems they have changed some policies of the contract.

before you had to change ns to their site, and could not sell via another venue, while the contract was still valid.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
seems they have changed some policies of the contract.

before you had to change ns to their site, and could not sell via another venue, while the contract was still valid.

Yes, it appears they have. I would be very hesitant to post my domains with them if they required my NS or an exclusive brokerage contract.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greatdomains is like a status symbol site. Once in a while they do a big sale, but don't rely on them to broker your domain. I have seen many (excellent) domains on their site for 8-12 months with no sale.

DomainMoon.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
previously some of my names got listed there, but no offer yet!!!!!!!!
500 commission is more i guess, but ok if name got sold

refide46

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
great informations to me too

thanks

i tried to sell some of my domains with them without the success to be accepted

so

what's their rules?

domainion

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Whatever their rules are, I don't want to know them.

They just refused to list Computer.us and that's the same company that already lists "cloneresearch.us", "seniorschat.us", "gaycruises.us" or the fresh and newly added "snowflake.us" for tons of money. I wouldn't pick up any of those 4 if they were available right now, and for sure I would also never pay several thousand dollars.
I just cannot believe that GreatDomains used to be a respected company once...
Does anybody know when they had some sales lately?

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They just refused to list Computer.us and that's the same company that already lists "cloneresearch.us", "seniorschat.us", "gaycruises.us" or the fresh and newly added "snowflake.us" for tons of money.

Are you serious !!.... it might be a mistake

or may be you asked to list it for much money behind their rules

computer.us .... what a great name

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Those people over there turn on a dime sometimes , they will take an extension like .us and then suddenly they will refuse all of them , no matter what the name is if it is a certain extension, looks like computer.us got caught in one of their "no more of those extensions for a while" moods.

domainion

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I wrote back to them and we'll see what comes out of it. I don't expect much though. I don't think that I asked for too much especially if I compare computer.us with the prices they want for other domains.

What also strikes me as odd is their love for .tv and .cc. How can they seriously list more .tv than .net?
I know that their parent company Verisign owns .cc and .tv but come on, who are you going to fool with such a policy?
On one hand they want to be THE venue for the most expensive and best domains and on the other hand they are pushing second tier tlds and asking for the same high prices as for other established tlds.
Just imagine if somebody who doesn't have a clue about the domain market trusts this statement and buys a domain like timemachine.tv for 30.000$...
I think that's pretty fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom