Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

GTLD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.camera is a somewhat weird extension , cause it's just a device, not like .photography which is a job / hobby / activity etc. or like .guru which is so generic.

So let's say that after a couple years the technology has advanced enough to make the camera a thing of the past - like the black and white TV. So obviously no .camera registartions any more and the registry goes bankrupt . What happens with the .camera regged domains ? Some people may have invested big amounts to build and promote their .camera website. Will these websites be shut down ?

- Is there any guarantee that when you register a website you can have it "for ever" provided you pay the annual fee? Are all those registries trustworthy ?

PS Nothing against .camera enthusiasts, just a handy example.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You've raised a good point indeed. Now on golden rule of domaining #3...

A good domain name should not be time-sensitive.
Diskette.com was a good domain back in 1992, but now it's a collector's item :)

As for camera, there is still a market for professional hardware, but on the consumer market at large, camera, mobile phone and computer have merged into the smartphone (not so long ago, it was called PDA - more or less).

You need to read the Icann documents carefully for the details, but I think the registries must have a continuity plan for 3 years. But there is no eternity requirement whatsoever of course.
Also, a number of designated backup registries are ready to take over in case of emergency.
Nonetheless, I am sure we will witness a few 'surprises', some registries will prove fraudulent, will go bankrupt or crash completely, registerfly-style :)

Bottom line is, a good number of gTLDs are doomed to fail.
One more reason why end users will take their time before putting their business on unproven extensions.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the case of camera, I think this market is going to be so diluted with .photos, photography, photographer, pics and so on.

If anyone monitors and follows trends, the camera market has been taking quite a hit thanks to the mobile phone/device and its camera.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.camera is a somewhat weird extension , cause it's just a device, not like .photography which is a job / hobby / activity etc. or like .guru which is so generic.
glad to see you or anyone else raise these points. There is very little brandables to go along with .camera. Outside of DSLR, video, and perhaps less than 100 additional true generics for this extension, there is zero aftermarket for even attempting to resell.

Then it comes to extensions like this, unless someone has personal attachment to a name (search term), there is very little upside.

For the thousands of extensions coming out, I would venture to say there is a greater than 50% chance of failure. I know people think that a 50/50 split is a safe bet. But not when your dealing with shelling out a few hundred thousand bucks to buy and start a regisitry. For my money, I would want something with a 10-20% failure rate.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real cameras won't go away.

Yes, a lot of photos are taken by smart phones, etc.

But there's really no competing with real lenses, which are physical objects too large and heavy to stuff into tiny device.

Professional and amateur photographers will always use stand-alone cameras.

.CAMERA is distinct from .PHOTOGRAPHY. More like .BIKE, I'd say, since it represents a piece of physical merchandise.

Who knows if it will succeed? Or any of them?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not an issue of "real camera". It is more of a how deep are the key search terms with camera?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not an issue of "real camera". It is more of a how deep are the key search terms with camera?

Agreed. I was just responding to the OP's concern that "after a couple years the technology has advanced enough to make the camera a thing of the past".

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I was just responding to the OP's concern that "after a couple years the technology has advanced enough to make the camera a thing of the past".
You are correct. Nothing will replace the DSLR, especially with the technology being put into those beasts. The mp just keeps going up (and the price accordingly). I am loving the new full frame sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom