Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Guess How Ridiculously Insecure 1and1 Is…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I called up 1and1 to ensure a transfer would be accepted. I had absolutely no information regarding my account other than the domain name that was registered with them. So they looked up my account by domain and had me "confirm" my account by asking my full name! This means anyone who knows how to use WHOIS can gain access to your account. Don't trust them.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me social engineer a domain name transfer from your account to mine. Then, for certain they need to get their shit together. ;)

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would love to test that out but I only have the one domain there, which has already been sold.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll get them to cancel the transfer, because I'm the real Shane B!

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look's like you just created the problem Shane by telling everybody.. I bet there are some guys calling up 1&1 as we speak, getting some nice names transferred :)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Way to go Shane. Way to go. Everyone is now scraping the whois databases to find LLL.com's with 1and1 as a registrar. Up next on DomainGang, 542 LLL.com's hijacked.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll get them to cancel the transfer, because I'm the real Shane B!

LOL. It's amazing how easy it is to get the personal information of fellow domainers. Just the other day I randomly received a call from Focus about a domain I sold him. It tripped me out.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look's like you just created the problem Shane by telling everybody.. I bet there are some guys calling up 1&1 as we speak, getting some nice names transferred :)

Hah, probably true. Still, everyone needs to know so they can secure their domains. The only thing they won't do is unlock the domain for you. So providing all your domains are locked it shouldn't be a huge problem. Unfortunately, if you're selling a domain or in the process of transferring it you're at risk.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Way to go Shane. Way to go. Everyone is now scraping the whois databases to find LLL.com's with 1and1 as a registrar. Up next on DomainGang, 542 LLL.com's hijacked.

If you're keeping domains at 1and1 you deserve to be hijacked. They are absolutely awful.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Was @Focus on his superyacht or chillin in his Cayman Islands mansion when he called?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe he was with his super model girlfriend's best friend.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I called up 1and1 to ensure a transfer would be accepted. I had absolutely no information regarding my account other than the domain name that was registered with them. So they looked up my account by domain and had me "confirm" my account by asking my full name! This means anyone who knows how to use WHOIS can gain access to your account. Don't trust them.
are you kidding me? a scammer gives them your full name and that's enough for those morons? never had a name there and never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom