Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Guidance Required for Selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgwi00

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please speak slowly, I am completely ignorant of how any of this works :confused: .

I own a domain, hosted on Lycos.
I don't use the domain.
I have received an email from a guy asking if he can buy it.

I'm happy to sell it.

I have virtually no knowledge of how these things work. I did not but it with the intention of selling it like a lot of people appear to do. And good luck to them.

What's my next steps? Specifically,

a) How do I transfer ownership over to this other guy. I keep reading about "Domain Registration Records" - is it this that has to be changed? Who changes it? How?

b) How do we conduct payment - I assume I would take the cash via PayPal then transfer it over afterwards

Anything i should be aware of please divulge!

Thanks in advance, Colin.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome Colin from London!

Okay, first things first:

1. Where is the domain registered? If you don't know that then either post the name here or send me a PM. This will establish how to transfer it.

2. Are we talking a few dollars here or a fortune? That will establish how you might set up the payment.

That'll do it for now I think.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
network solutions is pretty basic they handle transfer of money and the domain, some buyers wont use them but if it is an established business they usually like them, buyer pays 19 dollars for the service plus 5 percent of sale price, also sedo will handle it for you also for a small fee, just make sure he doesnt ask you to get a paid appraissal because thats a scam
http://www.networksolutions.com/dom...00S1N0B1619A1D276E0000V100&clickid=1000000000

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If he chooses to use NSI they do everything he asked in A and B

the buyer pays by credit card to NSI with offer, only 19 dollars is charged, if seller accepts offer, then the remainder up to 20k is charged(5 percent service charge), when money clears and is in NSI account, they send an email to seller requesting tranfer of domain to there account, once NSI has control of domain they mail a check to seller. NSI walks you through it along with telling you to unlock domain
PS: i have used NSI for transactions as low as 200.00 doesnt cost the seller a penny
If you use NSI make sure your email is up to date in whois thats what they use

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're probably talking gobbledegook to him - let's wait for him to reply and see where he's at with all the jargon. I know what you're talking about, you know what you're talking about, but does he? I'm only trying to guide him through the process completely step-by-step from first principles.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
You're probably talking gobbledegook to him - let's wait for him to reply and see where he's at with all the jargon. I know what you're talking about, you know what you're talking about, but does he? I'm only trying to guide him through the process completely step-by-step from first principles.

Your probably right, I guess first thing might be for him to put name up here for free appraissal just in case he has a great name and doesnt know it

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cgwi00 said:
Hello,

Please speak slowly, I am completely ignorant of how any of this works :confused: .

Ha ha ha ...this guy is funny....

Please post your name and we would be more than glad to assist you...

The best in the business are in DNF :peace:

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He's not "funny", he's here telling us he's a newbie and asking for our advice. Hats off to honesty like that. We're not all rocket scientists. But I know you didn't mean it that way kiviniar :)

This is the forum where he can be assured of help and no derision. Isn't it?

MonikerChris

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It definitely is the forum for that, aZooZa... cgwi00, the guys here in this forum are definitely good people to talk to and ask advice from... and I think that NOT rushing so that you can understand each step in the process is the right way to go...Cheers, Colin!

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
He's not "funny", he's here telling us he's a newbie and asking for our advice. Hats off to honesty like that ... This is the forum where he can be assured of help and no derision. Isn't it?
For the record, I really appreciate your attitude aZooZa. Very helpful. Nice to see this. Every one of us was a newbie at some point.

cgwi00

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hello.

What a forum! Helpful folk that you are.

I'm IT literate being a data wareouse developer, but internet stuff isn't something that i've ever had to deal with.

the domain is www.anyonebutengland.com

If you were in this country, you'd appreciate it.
At world cup time the entire country goes over the top, and the irish, scots, welsh, and aussies look for an alternative.

One guys has already setup a blog with the same name.
Anothe rguy has just emailed me out of the blue offering to buy it.

My original idea was sell t-shirts, flags etc. But the kids haven't permitted me time set it up.

Evaluate away.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Colin,

I started off with good intentions. You've caught me out here -- I have NO experience with Lycos hosted domains at all. So now *I* have to admit to having no idea.

Okay guys, anyone know how to get this domain out of Lycos? The whois gives the registrar as http://www.united-domains.de which I find odd, as Lycos says that they use Netsol:

"13.4 You agree that you may not transfer your domain name registration to another domain name registrar during the first sixty
(60) days from the date your domain name registration was effected with Lycos. After such time you may transfer your domain
name registration to a third party of your choice subject to the procedures and conditions found at http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/makechanges/rnca/agreement.html incorporated herein by reference."

Colin, we'll get this sorted - maybe fatter's solution will work best actually but once we find out about the Lycos situation, moving foward will be easy and the method can be explained in more detail.

For the amount involved, you can just ask the guy to PayPal you the money before you transfer it to him. Make sure he is a verified PayPal member.

Do you have any login/passwords from Lycos for the account? If so, do you see any options to "transfer domain name"?

Okay - can anyone else help here in step-by-step form?

Thanks!

Majnoon

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't have experience with lycos but this is what it says in their help section.

By default all domain names you purchased with Lycos are locked for this type of operation, which means nobody can get your domain without your agreement

If you wish to transfer out one of your domain purchased with Lycos, you must first notice us your agreement in the domain portfolio bar, by changing the transfer out status of your domain from 'locked' to 'unlocked'.

# Check if your domain is older than 60 days. No transfer out can be agreed before this deadline.

# Check all information is valid in the whois database for your domain, particularly the email addresses.

# Regroup and verify your password.

# Check you have no invoices pending

# Contact your new supplier can organise the transfer out.

#The Transfer In process can take as few as 5 to 7 days

Ok here is the steps u need to take to unlock your domain name
login normaly by going to http://webhosting.lycos.co.uk/account/ clcik on the domain name icon found at the bottom right hand side of the page. after that on the new page click on Domain Portfolio. You will see a list of the names u own. look at the right hand side of the name u want to unlock You will see a text that says LOCKED click on it and it will give u an option to unlock the domain and enter Name of Next owner and next registerar click on confirm and u are ready to transfer your name out

with the help of your question i have just found a name that i have forgotten about still there at lycos.

cgwi00

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see it, I see it! I see the light! Praise the Lord!

Thanks for your help.

All the best, Colin.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The way I look at things like this (domainers helping domainers) is...

We are ALL Forever Newbie!

- Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows a little something. :)

- Share and share alike, as what goes around comes around in many respects.

Kudos to members & moderators like aZooZa (whom has personally helped me when I needed help as much as I try to help others where I can) and All the Rest here @ DNF who make this Community the Best Place to not only to Talk Domains, but Talk Anything!

Welcome Colin & GL with your Domain(s)!

Best Success to Everyone in ALL Your Endeavours!
(PS: It's Ghana's turn to win this time 'round! :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom