Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Guys Need Advice here I got the shaft from REG.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just need some advice here I lost about 10-15 Really good .us domain names approx a year ago. I asked Register.com to transfer to godaddy but it never happened. Long story short here, I had been with them since the late 90s so I used to pay alot for domains but they were all in one control panel and I could watch carefully. What happened about 2 years ago is they put me into affilate web control panels and my adresses were in 4 different accounts. I spent countless days trying to get them to fix this never happened. So when push came to shove I had to save my .coms they were pushed to Godaddy however the persons I had spoken with in India lost my .us names. Now other people own them. Harvard did a study a few years back and I was one of the top .us domain registrants now I have none.
Anyway what do you guys think do I have any options or am I just screwed. Any info would be helpful Thanks in advance ,D1

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dynamic1 said:
Just need some advice here I lost about 10-15 Really good .us domain names approx a year ago. I asked Register.com to transfer to godaddy but it never happened...

A "losing" registrar will practically never initiate a transfer-out request on behalf of a registrant; most decent registrars will tell the registrant to initiate it themself at the "gaining" registrar.

Dynamic1 said:
...the persons I had spoken with in India lost my .us names...

That alone is a sign of impending trouble - in your case, non-action on their part. The average customer rep is limited in what they can do - "outsourced" reps, such as in India, are often even further limited; distance/culture differences.

Dynamic1 said:
...Now other people own them. Harvard did a study a few years back and I was one of the top .us domain registrants now I have none.
Anyway what do you guys think do I have any options or am I just screwed...

Likely "screwed" unless you can document paying renewal fees to Register.com for the "lost" .us domains ...

If the .us domains "expired" without payment, then you likely have zero chance of getting them back.

In a nutshell, did you renew them?

... if no, then they are likely "lost" and end of story.

... if yes, then you may have a small, but real chance of recovering them - but be prepared to spend many thousands in legal fees, since it may come to that.

Ron

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron thanks for the advice no I never had the chance to renew them I did not even have access to the account manager that my .us domains were put in by them. Supposedly it was put into a different system by mistake and they could not put them back. In other words many nights spent screaming at these idiots on the phone for hours at a clip. They could not even find a password for me to access this lost account. At the time I was very concerned about my .coms so I got them out of there as fast as possible. So in a nutshell i am screwed beacuse I was unable to renew. Sucks beacuse at $70 a name a wasted a few grand on .us domains i do not own anymore. Now a few would be worth xx,xxx at least. Anyway looks like I got no chance now but thanks for the help. Expensive lesson learned. When compaines start to go downhill watch out for your domains. They used to be a great company in the late 90s with offices and call canters in Manhattan now they are a disaster.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have zero recourse.

Even if you have documentation, I'm sure it says in the terms that they are not
responsible for anything. And, the most they would do for you is refund any
renewal payments.

"I feel your pain".

This kind of experience happens to all of us, big or small.

The advantage the big domainers have, is they have staff available to spend a lot
of time resolving these types of registrar problems.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
You have zero recourse.

Even if you have documentation, I'm sure it says in the terms that they are not
responsible for anything. And, the most they would do for you is refund any
renewal payments.

"I feel your pain".

This kind of experience happens to all of us, big or small.

The advantage the big domainers have, is they have staff available to spend a lot
of time resolving these types of registrar problems.
Thanks ACTnow I figured I had no way to get them back. But it makes me feel a little better that it does happen to all of us. Just totally sucks thinking about it. Well its defenetly a mistake I will not forget. Nexttime lol well there hopefully wont be a next time but I could have drove to manhattan to there main offices. Thanks for the advice guys

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There have been instances, in particular at the old Network Solutions, in which a few people did get their truly expired domain names back, some even months later, even though they had already been registered by others in the meantime.

Regardless of what Register.com TOS, etc says, in-depth documentation with supporting evidence, including much via "discovery", showing the domains were truly still registered to the registrant could be enough to get the ball rolling in recovering such domains.

VeriSign learned that the expensive way with the whole sex.com saga ... disclaimers, etc offer much protection for sure, but not 100%.

If one has good documentation / evidence, some barrels of cash, and much determination it's amazing what one can do - the impossible often't isn't impossible at all, though certainly far from easy.

Ron

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ron the one thing I got going for me then would be that harvard did a study or top .US Registrants about 2-3 years ago and I and my domains are in it. What do you think I will pm link to you if thats ok.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately, domains need to keep a constant eye on. I understand that huge portfolios are harder to track, however there is no excuse for renewing or transferring out domains at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom