Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Guys.. PLEASE recommend me some good managed dedicated hosts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok.. here's the deal; I just moved from one host to another & am sharing the new server with my friend; the new hosts servers are good & everything.. run real fast & happy with all that.. but both me & my friend aren't real happy with a lot of the other stuff like they don't have enough support staff, they aren't contactable 24/7 & they don't seem very willing to help.. like anything seems a hassle to them.. I find this very irratating when we are paying them $379/month & getting this kind of service.. this is not to mention a few other issues I don't want to go into....

So anyway, me & my friend have agreed we need to find another host so we are looking for suggestions on decent hosts..

Cheers guys!!

Domain Days 2024

Rascagua

Flash Nerd
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thinkhost.com
dreamhost.com
[mod]no advertising or referral links in the lounge.thank you[/mod]

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been using ThePlanet.com, and they've been fine.

However, due to their rapid growth, they're not taking any NEW clients at this time. You can go on a waiting list, though. Existing clients can get new servers, though.

RackSpace.com has a good reputation too (although I found they were more expensive than ThePlanet.com).

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I heard that ThePlanet had some issues recently; but are ok now.. anyone know anything about that?

RackSpace.com has a good reputation too (although I found they were more expensive than ThePlanet.com).

Aren't they self-managed?

T

tekz999

orangefiber.com
servermatrix.com
servage.net

those are the topnotch.

Presence

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Liquidweb.com all the way....I have one dedicated server with them and will be getting a second soon.

I would highly recommend them.

M

mole

What about ValueWeb? Anyone had experience with them?

ThePlanet.com sounds interesting, why do you need to be on a waiting list to use them?

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I second liquidweb

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Atjeu.com - they're not cheap but they're VERY good.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! :) As for LiquidWeb.. yeah, they were one of the hosts I considered moving to recently but their lack of live support & expensive overage charges killed the deal. :-(

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the thing is, there are many good hosts out there (well maybe not many, but the top ones were listed).
The problem is when you want a managed server. Many claim that they manage everything for you, but I have yet to find a single one that does.
In the end, you have to get a 3rd partry company to manage it for you, which kind of sucks. Unless someone knows of a good company that is reliable and not too expensive.
overall I think servermatrix is the best.

prose

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suggest iweb.ca
24/7 email.
24/7 phone support
tech support has direct access to data centre.

if they have to walk to the machine to do physical work (ie ssh is down) it's free mon-friday 9-5 and around $50/hr off hours.

they are publically traded so they care about there company image. cheap prices and no taxes for you americans since they are a .CA company.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Rackspace. I am a tech dummy, and they made it very easy for me. They even went to bat for me against AOL when I was falsely accused of spamming and helped me get it resolved quickly. Fully managed means fully managed. I loved their level of service and the price was fair.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
since I am looking for yet another server (I am keeping my other ones, but need a new one), I took the opportunity to test drive the sales team of 3 of the above mentioned cokmpanies.
atjeu, liquidweb and rackspace.
the replies were as expected, mediocre.
when you start asking detailed questions the replies become vague etc... (which is true of servermatrix as well, which has terrible support BTW but the best servers IMO).
so, liquidweb answered very fast, but very short. almost like a yes/no type reply.
notice that their bandwidth is not 1600 GB but 800 in and 800 out...
effectively 800.
liquidweb could not supply me with a list of pre installed software, just with the reply 'what ever comes with the OS and control panel of your choice'. wow, rocket science.
rackspace was a disaster.
they werent sure what and if they support a software firewall..
their site is unbelievably complicated as well. and they offer 150 GB in similarly priced servers. their site is a maze that compicates matters because you need to jump from one place to another etc...etc...
atjeu: their reply was mediocre but better than average.
they seem to know what they are talking about but take a stand of 'we will install the firewall but its upo to you to manage it', while on the site they seem to indicate otherwise.
overall atjeu seems to have the edge, so it looks like I will get my next server from them.
BTW, there is a special running at servermatrix (owned by the planet, and both say you need to go on a waiting list to get a server) on WHT.
apparently they do have some servers (limited) and have some coupons for pricing. Servermatrix has an amazing infratsructure (same with theplanet) but terrible support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom