Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hacker Site Is Giving Away My Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 6154

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Help, there is a site called r 3 m t e a m .dot. o r g that is giving away my script. The site is in russian and english and is problably hosted in russia. However, since the tld is a .org isn't there anything I can do to get the site shut down? I've checked my logs and I actually get visitors coming to my site from them (probably for support and docs) and have been for months. Why aren't domains like this shut down? I understand that the hosting might not be shut down since they are in russia, but doesn't the .org registrar offer some protection?

How do I go about contacting the .org registrar? What can I do?

Thanks,
George

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .org registrar has no power to help you.

And it shouldn't have.

Deleted member 6154

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
The .org registrar has no power to help you.

And it shouldn't have.
Why do you say it shouldn't have?

I thought registrars made decisions about trademark infringements and other uses of domain names. Why wouldn't they manage other abuses of domain name usage?

kokopelli

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You probably have a hope in hell, but could:

You'll have to be able to prove and support your claims properly, of course.

Also, I suggest you update your script so its better that the one they have and encrypt it (using something such as Zend). Then maybe the customers will come to you for the upgraded version.

Good luck!

PS Here are a few other things that come to mind if you want to give them grief in return (just don't get hacked!):

• You may be able to contact their advertisers and bring it to their attention that they're advertising on a warez/hacker site
  • If they use a third-party payment processor (which I didn't see) you may get them banned form that for the same reasons
  • They host the files for download on sites such as planetmirror .com - it may be? against their TOS to host warez

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are tons of sites offering pirate versions of vbulletin etc. Piracy is rampant. Hosts should be more proactive in shutting them down but some of the small guys they'd rather take $ from hosting than being honest.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contact their hosting company and also their registrar. The registrar can do something, for instance when you receive spam you can compain to them, they even have feedback forms online for that purpose. For more serious offenses like warez or phishing they can and should take action. Freezing the name may at least offer some relief.

Arsenik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
kokopelli said:
...Also, I suggest you update your script so its better that the one they have and encrypt it (using something such as Zend). Then maybe the customers will come to you for the upgraded version...
You could also look into a less expensive option like ioncube.com (i have been using their encoder for a couple years now)... assuming you are talking about a php script.

Good Luck!

jane118

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you wont be able to shut them down
they are hosted on a warez hosting server (probably their own) and their specialty is warez hosting.

i've tried...they have bunch of my vb skins as well that are for sale and they are given.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO once they have your script nulled there is no stopping, It gets spread more and more, maybe on P2P, other sites, The best thing you can do is encrypt the source in the next version and if needed a call back to home feature, Good luck, i hope you get them shutdown but in reality it probably wont happen

scorpio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like they need hosting...This is on there home page.

Dear Warez Hosting Admins, or the people who has home or office servers, we need the hosting, ~120Gb month bandwith, 300Mb space for the cracks, contact me via ICQ: 177688018

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
scorpio said:
Looks like they need hosting...This is on there home page.

Dear Warez Hosting Admins, or the people who has home or office servers, we need the hosting, ~120Gb month bandwith, 300Mb space for the cracks, contact me via ICQ: 177688018
Host them for a month and just delete everything on the site - nothing there is legal anyway

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'll have to be able to prove and support your claims properly, of course.

It seems quite obvious what there doing is illegal, since the site has a wareaz section, and all the software there is hot.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jondolar said:
I thought registrars made decisions about trademark infringements and other uses of domain names. Why wouldn't they manage other abuses of domain name usage?

Registrars don't make decisions about trademark infringements, although a few
might judge how the domain will be used.

Check with the registrar managing that name. What have you got to lose?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kokopelli made a number of valid suggestions.

The first one I would IMMEDIATELY jump on would be contacting .org.
I would explain the situation and ask that they IMMEDIATELY initiate deletion of
the domain without allowing the owner the option of supplying the data.

If you get a sympathetic ear at .org (PIR). They might work with you on this.

However, they will just move to another domain. But, you will slow them down somewhat.

They will need to create new traffic to the new domain.

It's like trying to elliminate ants or roaches. Once, they get a foothold.
It is a continuous battle. They move from one place to another.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Misleading subject, this has nothing do to with hackers.

As for your script, it should be protected via encryption and/or authentication.

As for removing it from the site, I think it is absurd for people to assume a registrar should have the ability to delete a domain without the domain owners agreement. IF the terms of service for the registrar state anything about the use of the name then that may be different.

Contact the site in question and simply ask for the program's removal. I have seen it done before and it has worked, but I have also seen it backfire as well.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol Namestrands.

I have known people to contact warez sites asking them to remove files, Sometimes they are very helpful, Sometimes they will add the file in the top 10 downloads to get on your nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom