Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Hacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am still interested about what happened when the site was hacked a couple weeks ago and why the legal section hasn't been around since.

Adam promised us an explanation a while ago but he never gave it. I realize some of this is confidential, but I'd like some answers (especially regarding security of personal info) and I'm sure others would as well.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I emphasize the same words of Daniel...a formal statement by Adam to calm our fears of personal identity data theft would be appreciated. Some of us here are verified which means that we have surrendered our vital personal information e.g. passport to the custody of the DNForum staff. Please keep us informed!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually the legal section is still there:
http://www.dnforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

For some reason it is missing from the index page.
See http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=188113

A formal statement by the admins would be welcome, at least if they could post what they know or don't know about the attack. I believe it must have some script kiddie who did little more than deface the index page but who knows. He might have accessed personal info and just kept quiet about it, and the admins may never find out if personal info was compromised.
I would do as-if. Take this opportunity to change passwords (and BTW do not use the same passwords at all the sites you visit).

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I emphasize the same words of Daniel...a formal statement by Adam to calm our fears of personal identity data theft would be appreciated. Some of us here are verified which means that we have surrendered our vital personal information e.g. passport to the custody of the DNForum staff. Please keep us informed!

I didn't know that passport is required, i guess for new members only.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actually its illegal to photocopy a passport

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

well to get verified one usually has to submit via email a scanned identity document--that is what i did sometime back to obtain the seal against my name

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Maybe in australia ... but not here and USA ( I believe )... banks do it all the time when opening new accounts ...... they are required by law to do it ?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well to get verified one usually has to submit via email a scanned identity document--that is what i did sometime back to obtain the seal against my name

Just curious, what benefits of the seal in your name now? Did you end up selling more domains or get additional % in ppc?

I'm considering it, let us know.
Regards,

Em

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what benefits of the seal in your name now? Did you end up selling more domains or get additional % in ppc?

I'm considering it, let us know.
Regards,

Em

Well to obtain the seal gives sellers/buyers an extra reassurance and comfort to know whom they are dealing with (DNForum as a third party that holds my identity). It is hard to tell whether this is always true but I have made happy deals all along ever since I joined DNForum without any problems whatsoever. I would recommend it upon all (including you) to verify and obtain the seal to stop scams and make the DNForum professional (don't get me wrong, I am not a scammer!!)! Anymore questions?

DomainFatigue

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From what I can recall, the hacker put up a notice when the site was down that to avoid future incidents, DNforum should no longer allow discussion about stolen domains and the like. I don't particularly like mandates from others (especially criminals) dictating how I do business, but the owner here has to ultimately decide what is best for DNforum...

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hacker? :spy:

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don´t think we could here talk about what we don´t know. As Adam assured us, our info is not compromised. And I´m sure Adam will give us more info as soon as he can. Let´s not press him, I´m not sure if this will help.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually the legal section is still there:
http://www.dnforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

For some reason it is missing from the index page.
See http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=188113

A formal statement by the admins would be welcome, at least if they could post what they know or don't know about the attack. I believe it must have some script kiddie who did little more than deface the index page but who knows. He might have accessed personal info and just kept quiet about it, and the admins may never find out if personal info was compromised.
I would do as-if. Take this opportunity to change passwords (and BTW do not use the same passwords at all the sites you visit).

Yeah I want to know why it's not on the index as well. You can only find it via a search. The hacker was demanding this section be removed or else. I would like to hear something official from Adam about this. It certainly is making me uncomfortable. Truly a hacker and scammer shouldn't have any power over this site or it's members.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not heard anything.

DomainFatigue

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There must be a reasonable explanation for all this, although I admit, the timing doesn't look good. Certainly, the management would have enough fortitude not to cower to an online punk right? I mean I just can't see that happening. People have to live with themselves...

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

While true - in two years at a Canadian airport I photocopied thousands of employees' passports for a government agency. A law loosely enforced - in Canada anyways.

As for a message about the hack - a simple - "no information was lost" or something similar would suffice.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have posted in 2 or 3 threads already saying no information was lost or taken from the server regarding users or user information.

That's the last word I will say on this.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom