Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Harvesting WHOIS before it's gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in "harvesting" the .CA WHOIS information before it's gone (or gone private)? I'm not one that's usually into harvesting data, especially when it comes to privacy but I think that the WHOIS information is very important often when it comes to finding out who owns what. The information is still public at this time and will be (most of it) private very soon. I think it would be a good idea to harvest (or back-up) this information for later reference if we need it...even for historical data.

What do you think? I know this sounds a bit controversial and I think it is too but I don't have any other suggestions. It would be nice if CIRA could contact the private owner for you (like a proxy) if you needed particular domain data. Maybe they have that in place? If so, then I wouldn't recommend harvesting the data.

I don't even know how you'd harvest the data other than doing mass WHOIS searches or DNS lookups. But if you have any ideas, please share!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I found this information from CIRA, so obviously you'd have to be careful of how you use the information and how access is granted, but I still think that it's very important for some whois contact information to be left public. Even just an email address or something.

-----------

Acceptable Use of the WHOIS

Any person is permitted to use the WHOIS provided it is for the following purposes only:

(a) to query the availability of a domain name;

(b) to identify the holder of a domain name; and/or

(c) to contact the holder of a domain name in regard to the domain name or
the respective website.

The WHOIS information shall not be used for any other purposes other than mentioned above. Purposes which are prohibited shall include, but are not limited to, any activities which are unsolicited and can reasonably be viewed as harvesting WHOIS addresses (electronic or otherwise) for transmission by e-mail, telephone, facsimile, or regular mail for commercial, advertising, market research, solicitation, or any other purposes which may be reasonably viewed as intrusive to a reasonable domain name holder.

No user of the WHOIS is permitted to utilize automated and/or electronic processes that send queries or data to the WHOIS, except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or modify existing registrations. By submitting any query to the WHOIS, you agree to abide by and comply with the Acceptable Use of the WHOIS terms and conditions and the Legal Notice in general.

-----------------------------------------------

ok, one last reply to my original information. I checked into CIRA's new policy and it appears they will be offering a messaging system (CIRA acting as a proxy) to relay information to a domain owner. I'm very happy to see that they will allow for this and the harvesting idea is looking like a bad idea. The only benefit to harvesting would be historical information at this point. Anyhow, thanks for reading all about me talking to myself ;)

Last edited:
Domain Days 2024

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the privacy does act like a proxy to their email so it shouldn't be too bad :D

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I considered it but realized that it would only represent a point in time and would gradually become more and more inaccurate over the years. Probably wouldn't be worth anything after 2-3 years.

But if there is a way of doing it I'm game to participate!

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would be a fun experiment to build a huge database haha. Oh well...it looks like by proxy it is. Unless of course someone PMs me some diabolical plan lol ;).

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did anyone manage to capture this data? I would be interested in buying it so please send me a PM if you have it.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can someone help!!! I've discovered that the Privacy of domain holders is not so private after all, but everytime I mention where I discovered this, the thread is closed. Perhaps the service is being run by someone who wants to keep it a private matter??? Please don't ask where I found this, as I can't divulge for fear of being barred from DNFORUM for "Promoting"

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Jen,

I assure you that someone harvested the info and is now selling it. Why else would the site have been created just a month ago?

Second, paying someone to receive personal info of someone else is a crime in canada under the privacy act.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By harvested, do you mean before "privacy" went into effect? If so, I can assure you that the info I got for FREE was Private Registrant Name and Email for a domain registered after June 20th. The information was never public, and therefore could not have come from a database harvested before privacy went into effect. If you mean harvested after "privacy" went into effect, how could that be done?

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domainatrix,

I do not see why you are so interesed in this. Regardless..selling private information of others is illegal. The fact you purchased this yourself...makes me not even want to bother answering any of those questions. It is really irrelevant and you are missing the bigger picture.

domainatrix

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the big picture is that the information is not private. But if that doesn't interest anyone here, I'll let it go...

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Jen,

Remember when people were able to get cell phone records of anyone and were selling it online?

This is very similar IMO

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I opened a ticket with cira about the site, its probably 1 of 2 things, either someone harvested the db and is now trying to profit from others private information. Whether they hide behind the "being paid for the tiime it takes" is still irrelevant they are being paid to provide private information.

Second it could be a registrar that are abusing the cira system to gather information and then selling it through another site. If the information is up to date then I would assume the later.

Cheers,

Jay

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know the outcome of this and what CIRA has to say about it. The real problem is the access to information and the fact that one person has access to it and is charging others for the same access.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't received a response will let you know when I do..

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited:

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it is obvious that the information was harvested. Is it a coincidence that 1 day later they change the information on the site ?

Our private client service has been the topic of some discussion at DNForum. On this account, we have relocated to a non-internet based service. Current clients will be informed about the details. Please note that we accept clients by referral ONLY.

I don't know anyone who would be able to view something posted on dnforum that quickly and make changes on their website unless they were a dnforum member. I think my point is clear right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom