Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Has ANYONE been successful selling via Afternic/Buydomains recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm considering throwing in the towel with them after many years, and just saw another post where another domainer is removing their domains from Afternic as well.

I did reasonably well selling through them for years, then sales there plummeted last year, and are even worse this year.

About the time of the plummet they got a new 'sales manager', who at first ignored my emails asking why sales through his site were down 80% while sales through other outlets was UP, then responded that it was because my pricing is 10% more on his site -- which is because they charge 10% more commission, and THAT has not changed in many years so cannot be the cause of the sales plummet. Now he is ignoring all emails.

I did a lot of unpaid testing and consulting on their buggy platform, just hate to see it all be a waste...

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold in the past but nothing in the last 6-8 months.

-=DCG=-

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just had my very first sale ever, mid x,xxx - the odd part is its as if someone had just discovered them and me. Offers coming in daily, notices to set prices, and negotiating.

I will say that I was not too impressed with BuyDomains delay in releasing funds. Seems they don't work weekends like Sedo.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just had my very first sale ever, mid x,xxx - the odd part is its as if someone had just discovered them and me. Offers coming in daily, notices to set prices, and negotiating.

I will say that I was not too impressed with BuyDomains delay in releasing funds. Seems they don't work weekends like Sedo.

One of the many problems I have had with them is that they require that their staff set up a new eNom account when a sale is made, except that it's NOT one of their escrow steps. This means their staff often "forgets" about escrow transactions.

Example of a typical domain sale at Afternic/Buydomains:
TUESDAY: I sell a fixed price domain.
WEDNESDAY: (all quiet)
THURSDAY: I send message to escrow - "Hello -- we have an escrow transaction here... please tell me where to push the domain!"
FRIDAY: (all quiet) (also, no payment!!)
SATURDAY: (all quiet)
SUNDAY: (all quiet)
MONDAY: (all quiet)
TUESDAY: I send 2nd message to escrow - "HELLO HELLO??? IS ANYONE AT WORK AT ALL???"
WEDNESDAY: Message back from escrow to push domain, followed by confirmation
THURSDAY: (all quiet)
FRIDAY: (notice of payment)
SATURDAY: (all quiet)
SUNDAY: (all quiet)
MONDAY: payment visible in my account

So, typically you're looking at 2 weeks between closing an easy fixed-price sale and payment. More often than not they miss their own Friday "pay day" because nobody in their escrow dept does their job for days at a time.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had no knowledge of the eNom issues (whom I hate).

My only other experience with Afternic was an auction years ago that was never paid for.

However, you are spot on with the (all quiet) comments.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Havent had any sales on Afternic ... Horrible responses
Sedo had to refund my money on a domain I just purchased 2 weeks ago at the great domains auction
They want their money immediatly and then when I wanted the codes to transfer...I never got them after 2 weeks
So refund the money and they tried to throw a bunch of legal stuff at me..Come on Sedo Wake Up
Not every sale is in the several thousands

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have sold a decent number in the past at Afternic. But it was through the expanded promotion option- with it's high commission (but worth it depending on sales range imo). There after much action has dropped. I think I have gotten only 2 sales so far this year but it was pretty fast and smooth.

domaingeneration

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overall I'd say major marketplaces have increased commissions without increasing performance ...

With so many domains in their listings, don't expect too much. Even a 'successful' negotiation
by a rep (when an offer arrived at Afternic) ended up with the buyer not paying/not responding
to them. Happened recently.

Best to sell your domains actively yourself, save on escrow fees and complete sales efficiently.

Alexander
Domain Educator
http://www.RapidInvesting.com - special at fixed price

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just about to update this -- just had 3 good sales this month with them already, and all processes in a timely manner. They seem to have improved!!

domaingeneration

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that, congratulations.

If you domains are parked with SmartName, you'd get 5% cash back.

If you're able to find buyers yourself, don't forget to use
ShowcaseManager.com to save big!

Alexander
Domain Educator
Free Webinar: "How to Make Money with Other People's YouTube Videos"
http://www.tojv.com/cmf10472yt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom