• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Has anyone ever regged a generic, and then a big company reg a similar name after

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatter

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
4
where you got a bunch of traffic from there advertising, I dont mean people who reg similar names and typos of established sites, i mean have you been there first so no moral issues come into play about capitolizing on others work. I am still waiting for this to happen to me but I imagine if it happens once you would be set for life
 
Not really the same, but a .com I have(generic brandable spelling of an actual word), I happened to be checking the whois on, I noticed all the other extensions were regged just recently, all by the same corporation(medical supplies), then went to the Trademark site; Noticed they had filed a TM for it and got approved.

Sure enough, the email and phone calls came. But alas, it wasn't a lawyer or c&d, it was an offer for the .com by one of the top officers in the corporation. Even though he used a hotmail address, he had his full name in it and of course I googled it and many results came back.

At this point, I'm drooling like a rabid wolf thinking about the big payday I was about to receive.

So he offers, I counter-offer, he counters, I counter, he counters, I consult the wife, he scrams....

So here I sit, one year later, still with this name, receiving residual traffic from this companies trademark (legally I hope, as the name's been around since 99) and still waiting on the big one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom