Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Has anyone used Kazaa.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just got shown the site Kazaa.com by a friend and it's pretty neat. You can download just about anything there. I'm currently downloading the Lord of the Rings movie and I've seen part of what has been downloaded so far. It isn't super quality, but it is ok and very watchable. If you haven't seen it, go there and tell me what you think and if you have seen or used it what do you think of it?

M

mole

:eek:

Kazaa is spyware and installs all kinds of secondary programmes into your computer without you even knowing it.

Some liken Kazaa to a pretty woman with AIDS.

It's got a rep record like a rotten crocs tail.

Secondary progammes like what? They have all terms and services listed in their TOS. I have seen nothing adverse yet.

M

mole

aiyaayaaaai, lol, you haven't been following the news.

From Salon.com

A law to protect spyware
Sen. Fritz Hollings is pushing a bill that supposedly safeguards online privacy -- but actually gives intrusive marketers a green light.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Chris Wenham

April 26, 2002 | Outrage surged through users of the KaZaA file-sharing utility when they learned, early in April, that a new breed of spyware had been installed on their computers. KaZaA, probably the most popular heir to Napster's throne, was already well known for coming bundled with a wide variety of parasite programs that serve up advertisements, track Web-surfing activity, and otherwise cause mischief. But the newest arrival topped anything seen before in scope or ambition.

A company called Brilliant Digital had surreptitiously installed software in computers running KaZaA. Once activated, the software would set up a distributed computing network, allowing Brilliant to hijack the resources of thousands of personal computers to serve the needs of its own customers. Brilliant's plan is to use the computer processing power generated by the network to serve technologically advanced advertisements and track how users react to those ads.

As the newest assault on Internet privacy, Brilliant's plan pressed hard on an online hot button. Indeed, the tracking of personal data riles enough people that a new bill that purports to protect online privacy was introduced in Congress just last week. As the bill -- sponsored by Sen. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, D-S.C., and titled the Online Personal Privacy Act (S. 2201) -- notes, consumers fear there's too little privacy online and too much sharing of sensitive personal information among the business elite. Up to a third of them have been submitting bogus data about themselves in an attempt to protect their privacy, and "tens of billions of dollars in e-commerce" have been lost due to privacy fears, the bill warns.

But Hollings' bill should outrage Internet users just as much as Brilliant Digital's spyware. For while it talks a good game about protecting "sensitive" information, the truth is that it would place a congressional stamp of approval on precisely the kinds of practices that purveyors of spyware are eager to engage in.

Start your Summer Fling @ Matchmaker

The fact that Hollings is behind this bill should be the first clue about the real agenda it serves. Hollings is also a sponsor of the Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA, formerly known as the SSSCA), a bill that requires all new computers and other digital information devices to come with copy protection software and/or hardware installed on them. It would also outlaw any effort to reverse-engineer or disable any copy-protection format -- a measure that some observers believe will cripple software development -- particularly in the open-source and free-software communities. CBDTPA is ostensibly based on the premise that consumers won't sign up for broadband ISP access until Hollywood puts its content online, and Hollywood won't do that until its sure its intellectual property will be safe. But the bill isn't really about the "promotion" of broadband at all. Hollings is one of the Senate's largest recipients of entertainment industry campaign contributions, and the bill is squarely aimed at protecting that industry's interests.

Likewise with the Online Personal Privacy Act. It is masquerading as pro-consumer when in fact it is pro-business. The new legislation is similar to laws passed in Europe that divide your personal information into two types. The first is "sensitive" information, such as your financial and medical history, race, lifestyle, religion, political affiliation, and sex life. The second is "nonsensitive" information, and among that will include your name, address, and records of anything you buy or surf on the Internet. Under the act, business can't collect or divulge the sensitive bits without your express consent, but anything classified as nonsensitive can be freely collected and sold at will.

But the nonsensitive clause is a huge gaping loophole through which business will ride roughshod. Never mind that part about "sensitive" information being forbidden. Most things that businesses want to know about us can be inferred just by examining the things we buy, read and click on. If they can put that information together with our names, which the bill allows, then any concept of "privacy" protection is rendered meaningless. The Online Personal Privacy Act legitimizes the kind of intrusive spyware program activity that is currently proliferating.

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use Kazaa for quite a while...and I love it. I have tried different filesharing networks, but Kazaa is the best at the moment.

There are two ways to get rid off the ads and the spyware:

1. Use adaware to search your hd for spyware and remove everything. However, after that Kazaa won't start anymore...to get it back working again, you will have to replace a certain .dll file that Kazaa is complaining that it's missing. To get that file, just type that certain .dll filename into google and one of the first sites you get will be a website which offers a "dummy" file that looks like the original file for Kazaa but actually it's spy free.

2 Just download Diet Kazaa, which is a freeware program and will be started together with Kazaa...that nifty little piece of software just Filters all the ad and spystuff out of Kazaa.

Happy downloading...the more users, the better :D

pixelman

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
kazaa is system administrator's nightmare. The employees use it to download personal stuffs and congest the line during office hour... My company has blocked Kazaa totally.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've got Kazaa Lite - that is another hacked version to stop the spyware from working. (It's mainly Gator by the way).

Anyway, lol, you say about Lord of the Rings movie. Someone has released a production version of Two Towers onto the file-sharing circuit.

I think it a cheek that film & music industries (I in fact used to work in Music Anti-piracy, but left due to corruption) go after the file sharing services on the basis of 'pre-released' material, if it's someone at their own company who's leaking out the files to the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom