Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Have you tried Appraiso?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicedomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Appraiso.com is the newest website appraisal tool. Launched by popular domainer Morgan Linton, Appraiso uses a complex algorithm he and his partner have been working on for some time now to appraise websites. Appraiso uses estibot for the 'domain value' aspect of the appraisal.

I don't have tons of sites to appraise so I am wondering what members here think of the accuracy of the site appraisals? The free version lets you appraise one website each day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this sounds more like a promotion, than just asking a question.

can't see it being "new", if it's using the bot as basis for domain appraisals.

as one should always question "the validity of value conveyed" when using any automated tool for appraisals, whether it be for domains or websites.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in appraisals and an automatic appraisal is right above believing in Santa Claus.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see the point of these 'tools'. The ultimate purpose is to sell you a 'service' otherwise it's a waste of time.
Nobody needs to tell you how to price your domains and websites, only you and the potential buyer hold the cards.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried it and you get 1 free appraisal and then you got to signup for the subscription. What a big surprise.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Garbagio.com is available fyi.

gr8names

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was just announced this week that Citigroup has licensed IBM's Watson technology to augment their automated trading algorithms. While it is easy to discount previous attempts at automated domain appraisals because of their laughable accuracy, one must consider the reasons for their shortcomings: poor algorithms, insufficient computing resources, and lack of historical data.

Watson's win on Jeopardy clearly demonstrates how far AI algorithms have come in the fields of natural language parsing, knowledge representation, and reasoning. You only have to look at the iPhone4 in your hand to see much computational power has increased in the last few years. And finally to the last point, anyone on this forum would be hard pressed to deny that there is more data available than ever regarding domain transactions. Not to mention that everyone and their brother has an API allowing for unprecedented levels of data aggregation.

Citigroup has a lot more money riding on this technology than any of us ever will. It is going evolve, becoming faster and smarter, and then it will bleed into other fields. Similar machine learning techniques are already in use by drop catchers and the aftermarket companies when deciding which names to keep and which to let expire, etc. The automated appraisers may be in their infancy but they will grow up quickly. Human-less buying and selling is trivial once everything else is in place.

The bots are coming. Ignore them at your own risk.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would this be the same "Citigroup" that made such poor decisions over the past few years that they required a massive taxpayer bailout to stay afloat?

It was just announced this week that Citigroup has licensed IBM's Watson technology to augment their automated trading algorithms. While it is easy to discount previous attempts at automated domain appraisals because of their laughable accuracy, one must consider the reasons for their shortcomings: poor algorithms, insufficient computing resources, and lack of historical data.

Watson's win on Jeopardy clearly demonstrates how far AI algorithms have come in the fields of natural language parsing, knowledge representation, and reasoning. You only have to look at the iPhone4 in your hand to see much computational power has increased in the last few years. And finally to the last point, anyone on this forum would be hard pressed to deny that there is more data available than ever regarding domain transactions. Not to mention that everyone and their brother has an API allowing for unprecedented levels of data aggregation.

Citigroup has a lot more money riding on this technology than any of us ever will. It is going evolve, becoming faster and smarter, and then it will bleed into other fields. Similar machine learning techniques are already in use by drop catchers and the aftermarket companies when deciding which names to keep and which to let expire, etc. The automated appraisers may be in their infancy but they will grow up quickly. Human-less buying and selling is trivial once everything else is in place.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it would just make sense for a company like in question to clearly define how they are valuing the name. How much credit are they giving to actual traffic, services being sold if not a tangible item. Things like that.

When I plugged-in the metrics for InflatablesSuperstore.com..it spit out a number that was quite surprising extra large I think was based from my revenue.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

since you have an algo name:

then naturally you'll have to support it's use in appraisals or find supportive arguments to justify it's validity, in order for it to have perceived value for you to sell it.

kinda like what the panelists did in that "ceat.com" udrp case. :)

now i'm not ignoring the fact that bots are coming, because they are already here

my position now, is they are for amusement.

though in the future, sure, as they become more mainstream and more new folks start domaining, they will come to depend on them for valuations....but that still doesn't mean they will be accurate then.

the true test of accuracy will be when a bot values a name at specific price, and also agree's to purchase it for that amount.

when that happens, i may use it too :)

gr8names

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would this be the same "Citigroup" that made such poor decisions over the past few years that they required a massive taxpayer bailout to stay afloat?

Poor decisions seems to be a matter of perspective. They paid a relatively minimal fee over their role in the CDO debacle, and I'm pretty sure every single one of their executives were paid very handsomely with your money (and mine). How dumb can they be?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The bots were already there ten years ago.
So what ?

A bot is a black box, you don't even know the methodology and the algorithms involved. Why should you pay attention ?
Each domain name is unique, so are the circumstances of a sale, and there are parameters like brandability that a bot cannot appraise. It's not a question of computing power here.

In fact, the idea of relying on a bot to price domains (I mean for real business, not for entertainment purposes) is ridiculous.
Because:
  • YOU own the domain, you set the price. No buyers ? Then adjust your price according to market trends or wait. But buyers will only pay what they think the domain is worth, and within their budget. Appraisals won't change that.
  • If you rely on a bot the price will often be unrealistic, because it's a best-case scenario. Result: you almost never sell.
  • If you rely on a bot for pricing, you can't justify your asking price. Because you don't understand how the price was derived.
  • Like horoscopes (appropriate comparison), different tools will give different results. Which one will you believe ?
It is scary that many domainers seem to depend on those tools... it explains why there are so many bad regs... people don't even understand why they registered them in the first place ... very sad. Ignore common sense at your own risk.

When I started out over a decade ago, there wasn't as much information and education available as we have now. But now there is also more disinformation and bad education. I'm glad I learned from my mistakes (and the mistakes of others), at least I wasn't spoonfed with bad advice like using automated appraisal tools and bogus metrics, while believing I was actually getting education :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, he is making a mistake in requiring registration just to see how it works with the 1 free appraisal allowed.

I don't know about you but I am weary of having so many registrations so rather then register I left the Appraiso.com site and likely won't be back.

gr8names

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
since you have an algo name:

then naturally you'll have to support it's use in appraisals or find supportive arguments to justify it's validity, in order for it to have perceived value for you to sell it.

kinda like what the panelists did in that "ceat.com" udrp case. :)

I don't blame you for being wary of me. In another parallel to the stock market, pump and dump is becoming all to common in domaining.

My post was based on my experience as an artificial intelligence programmer and not in an effort to inflate the value of my domains. And no, I have nothing to do with any of the appraisal services nor do I intend on getting into the business, so I'm not trying promote myself either. My AI interests lay outside of domaining entirely. But, day in and day out I do see the abilities of this technology grow by leaps and bounds. Anyone who thinks these toy appraisal systems are representative of what some systems are truly capable of is mistaken.

I do own an algo name and bunch more related names. Everything has its price as they say, but I'm not in any hurry to part with any of them. Every one I purchased as an end user, not as a reseller. They're parked at Sedo while I daydream about (and sometimes even take some concrete steps towards) my personal programming goals.

I don't disagree with anyone at all regarding the quality of automated appraisals. The appraisals right now are useless. I don't doubt over reliance on them has been the downfall of many a wannabe domainer. The only redeemable thing about them is that they often report useful traffic/search/monetization statistics alongside the appraisal itself.

My sole point was meant to be that the future is going to be here faster than many expect, and the automated systems of tomorrow will be nothing like those in use today.

One last thought: the term algorithm has 90k exact monthly searches. Nothing I say in a thread that no end users will ever see could have an effect on that demand. On the other hand, if I were extolling the virtues of .co domain names (not), then you could rightfully accuse me of being a shrill. ;)

Last edited:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh c'mon people people, they need your registration info for their companion site, ElSpamO.com!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you for being wary of me.

at first yeah, now...no :)

My sole point was meant to be that the future is going to be here faster than many expect, and the automated systems of tomorrow will be nothing like those in use today.

and to that i say...

the future, can arrive no faster than the present will become yesterday

:rolleyes:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Breaking news - Domain appraisal algorithm leaked:
Tuerkischer_schachspieler_racknitz3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom