Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

hdmicables.com sells for $17,005

• Thread starter Deleted member 111831
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 111831

tdnam auction

I dropped out at $6,000, which I thought was a lot.

I think this is one of those names the big guys recommend people to buy - one great name you can develop. The term gets xxx,xxx exact searches per month with a high CPC.

Though is it really worth $17,000???

Congrats to Bob Parsons...

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This name would have been great at the time when HDMI cables used to cost nearly $100 for 1 meter (and that is too small for most consumers). Today, you can pick one up for around $25 and I foresee in the near future as 1080p increases in homes, an HDMI cable will cost that of A/V composite cables now: $5.99.

Good name, bad timing for the purchase IMO.

D

Deleted member 111831

Ok glad to hear I was wise to drop out. I think there was some auction fever going on here. There were five bidders who all placed multiple bids over the $5k mark and three who went at it over $10k. People just did not want to let it get away.

depolarize

Party 'til AM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was the winner of the auction at $17,005.

HOWEVER, GoDaddy notified me that the original owner of the domain renewed the registration TODAY, so the auction is nullified!!!

I am really annoyed by GoDaddy's irresponsibility in auctioning off a domain that isn't 100% CLEARED to be sold

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

HOWEVER, GoDaddy notified me that the original owner of the domain renewed the registration TODAY, so the auction is nullified!!!

I am really annoyed by GoDaddy's irresponsibility in auctioning off a domain that isn't 100% CLEARED to be sold

Sucks for you... and Bob.

What was your thinking behind it being worth $17,005 if you don't mind sharing?

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What IS a real problem is that ICANN allows registrars to sell their customers expired domains at all! If this had gone through, the original owner would have gotten ZILCH even though they brought it to Go Daddy and probably renewed it a few times. As to being '100% cleared for sale' the domain would have to go to the pending delete phase for that to be the case. That is what should happen for all domains, good or not, if they aren't renewed. That was the case before about 2004 until ICANN changed this under pressure from the registrars. Some registrars using Name Jet (especially) and Snap Names list domains for sale before they even expire! You can have a working website and have those carnivores listing your name as a 'pending auction' with date and all. Bob Parsons was owed nothing on this and in all deference to the bidders here I am delighted that he didn't get the money this time. Jerks all.

One exception - I noticed here that Fabulous.com is listing their expired domains with Name Jet BUT is splitting any auction proceeds with the owner that let it expire there. There may actually be one honorable registrar!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 111831

That is standard for all drop auctions and it stated clearly in the terms and conditions.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

One exception - I noticed here that Fabulous.com is listing their expired domains with Name Jet BUT is splitting any auction proceeds with the owner that let it expire there. There may actually be one honorable registrar!

Ya I love this policy. I am purposely letting some stuff drop now that I know will sell for xxx+ at NameJet but wont sell for that on the forums.

depolarize

Party 'til AM
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sucks for you... and Bob.

What was your thinking behind it being worth $17,005 if you don't mind sharing?

HDMI cables are a high margin / low maintenence (not much customer service needed) product for ecommerce. Cables are a ripoff at BestBuy etc, so many people go online to get more reasonable prices.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey; for one, I'm sorry you lost the auction.

I however am glad that you did.

Take that 17K and put it into a more successful market then what will be once coaxial cable.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the thing about these kinds of is names is that you need to be quick to flip before the technology changes too much. ie: hddvd domains.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the thing about these kinds of is names is that you need to be quick to flip before the technology changes too much. ie: hddvd domains.

Exactly.

Let's remind the public of A/V components. Hot or not?

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I sold dvdhd.com years ago for a few hundred. Value today near zilch (if it ever had any).

BTW - Have either of you who bid thought of the novel iodea of asking the owner if he would sell it? I have redeemed domains at Go Daddy that got bids. Even though you'd sell for less, you usually never hear from anyone. The guy who owns it might just love to get a grand for it! There is some real chance that he never saw the auction and just noticed things at the last minute. I'd at least ask. The worse case is no although part of me says that loosing this auction was lucky and that's from someone with an electronic background. 'AudioCables' or 'VideoCables' will be here forever in some form. HDMI may be 'so yesterday' in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom