Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help! 60 day hold on NEW domains???? NameCheap or Universal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5starAffiliates

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am admittedly a noob, so here's a noob question.

I just bought a bunch of domains at NameCheap. I had read that Godaddy makes you hold new domains for 60 days before you can sell them. I did not see this mentioned at NC and still cannot find it mentioned in a FAQ or the TOS.

I am getting ready to pay for some featured listings on SEDO so decided I should double check before I do. NC support said they do the same thing and made it sound like everyone does and it's a rule or something.

They said I can sell right away if I push the name to another NC user, then after 60 days I can transfer to a new owner at any registrar?

Is this correct? Does everyone do this? If I find a buyer right away, and they don't have a NC account can they just set one up so I can transfer the name to them?

Help, I don't want to pay for a Featured listing, find a buyer and THEN find out there is a transfer snag. Should I just wait 60 days before I try to sell any of my great domains? I want to try to sell them now.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
5starAffiliates said:
I just bought a bunch of domains at NameCheap. I had read that Godaddy makes you hold new domains for 60 days before you can sell them. I did not see this mentioned at NC and still cannot find it mentioned in a FAQ or the TOS.

It's an ICANN policy. See:
http://www.icann.org/transfers/policy-30mar04.htm

The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

1. Evidence of fraud
2. UDRP action
3. Court order
... snip ...
8. A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
9. A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original registrar in cases where both registrars so agree and and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).

5starAffiliates

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the clarification.

So I can sell it to someone if they set up a NameCheap account just can't transfer to another registrar?

So if I paid to feature a couple of my top names and sold them do you think this would be unwise or cause a hitch in the sale? I assume someone in the biz would have no problem and understand or may even already have a NC account.

But if a regular end-user company bought the name, do you think it would put them off or stall the buy???

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as long as you are upfront about the fact that these domains cannot be transferred to a new registrar until xx-xx-xxxx in your listing, you should not run into any trouble. most people who would buy a domain from there will be well aware of the restriction and will be willing to make whatever accomodations are necessary to complete the transaction.

Temp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
5starAffiliates said:
OK, thanks for the clarification.

So I can sell it to someone if they set up a NameCheap account just can't transfer to another registrar?

So if I paid to feature a couple of my top names and sold them do you think this would be unwise or cause a hitch in the sale? I assume someone in the biz would have no problem and understand or may even already have a NC account.

But if a regular end-user company bought the name, do you think it would put them off or stall the buy???
In general sale,seller always push the sold names to buyer's account via same registrar's website.So please dont worry about it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom