Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help a SNAP newbie understand it better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently have my eye on a domain that will expire 04/06/2003. At this moment, I placed a bid with namewinner, only $8.95 (since noone wants the domain. hehe)

Ofcourse, to be sure, I go to gregr's site and get myself a snap on the name.

Yet, the namewinner bid is only a bid. That means If I don't get the name, I won't have to pay anything. If I get a snap at gregr's site, I have to pay $39 no matter what, and I still have no guarantees....

Could anyone help me out on this one? Am I missing out on something here?

Tino

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tino

Yet, the namewinner bid is only a bid. That means If I don't get the name, I won't have to pay anything. If I get a snap at gregr's site, I have to pay $39 no matter what, and I still have no guarantees....

Could anyone help me out on this one? Am I missing out on something here?

Tino

That's right, but if the snap doesn't get the name you get an exchange on the snap to try for another name (3 exchanges I believe).
If the domain expires in a few days and you've managed to get a snap AND a NW 1st bid I would say you've probably got a very good chance of getting the name.

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay...

I don't think the name is worth the $39, but I'll figure out what to do... It's all so confusing... Exipration, Drops, Holds....

Tino

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if no one else has bid then id just try and stick with namewinner

if you see people bidding on it then it may be worthwhile placing a snap on it if you really want it :)

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
if you see people bidding on it then it may be worthwhile placing a snap on it if you really want it :)

If people start bidding on it, won't they also consider putting a snap on perhaps?

Then it would be a case of the early bird increases their chances of catching the worm.

But as said elsewhere, if it isn't worth US$39, then don't pay that much.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a good question, made even more interesting because of the ever increasing availability of discounted,
Limited Exchange Snaps.

Your whole gameplan as to the application of LE Snaps has to be one of great stratigic planning. Obviously, if your applying LE snaps to extremely valuable names, your chances of depleting your exchanges to 0, and thus losing your investment, are very high.

Don't get me wrong, LE snaps have their palce in your drop catching arsenal. You just have to be extremely selective with the names you choose to place them on.

One positve aspect of LE Snaps are that they will force you to leave Snaps on a name longer than you might have, allowing you not to have to deal with "De-Snap Remorse" You know, that sick feeling you have when you see a good name drop that you used to own the snap on?...and now someone else does? Ya, the name you took your "unlimited exchange" snap off of to place it on what you thought was a better name?

The name you have your eye on might be a prime candidate for an LE snap. It sounds like it has a chance of cycling through to "pending delete status". You have to acertain how badly you "want" it. Are you wanting it for straight name resale? If so then spending the $39 becomes more of a delema. Are you wanting it for development? Then the $39 is less of an issue. And don't forget your $8.95 NW bid could still beat your LE Snap head to head, meaning you've lost one exchange but still own a 2 exchange snap. There is still roughly 3 months before it will drop. It won't even expire for a few days so the chances of owner renewal are still decent and all this is moot.

If it does expire, many sets of eyes will see it as it winds its way down that slippery slope, through the erie caves known as "registrar-hold". Then down the murky waters of "redemption grace period" and finaly falling into the firey chasms of "Pending Delete" The chance that someone will put a snap on the name between now and then are quite possible.

One option you have is to place the snap on it, watch your $8.95 NW bid, if there are no higher bids up to the 4th or 5th day of the "pending Delete" cycle, then remove the snap and hope there are no SnapSnipers lurking. The one negative is that you are tying up the LE Snap for one quarter of it's life just as a safety net or blocker. But hey, the prime objective is to get the name for the least ammount of money right?

Just decide how badly you want the name.

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow,

Thank you for that fine explination! Great!!! You really took the time for explaining that to me! Thank you!

Tino

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Great read Sharpy :)
Would make a good short article for Dukes DNJ.

$20 DNF on the way.
Cheers!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it does expire, many sets of eyes will see it as it winds its way down that slippery slope, through the erie caves known as "registrar-hold". Then down the murky waters of "redemption grace period" and finaly falling into the firey chasms of "Pending Delete"

John Grisham eat your heart out. :laugh:

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharpy
allowing you not to have to deal with "De-Snap Remorse" You know, that sick feeling you have when you see a good name drop that you used to own the snap on?

Hrmmm, Yes, I just had that happen... I hate that. Makes me want to rip off my own leg, swing it over my back, and kick myself in the butt. :upset:

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shiftlock, you could consider pulling your spine out thru your mouth and beating yourself silly with it...just a thought.

Shiftlock

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
Shiftlock, you could consider pulling your spine out thru your mouth and beating yourself silly with it...just a thought.

Right. Then again, I could gouge out my own eyes, and stuff the sockets with green chillies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom