Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help/FAQ would be useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

rprosser

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a new member, I have the following questions (some of which have been answered):

• What is "Type-in traffic"?
  • What makes for a valuable name?
  • How do I sell names (to end users)?
  • What are realistic income figures?
  • Which products/services are recommended?

So I think that a Help/FAQ section would be useful. If you like I will offer to moderate it.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
M

mole

Originally posted by rprosser
So I think that a Help/FAQ section would be useful. If you like I will offer to moderate it.

This whole forum IS the Help/FAQ section.:D

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rprosser
As a new member, I have the following questions (some of which have been answered):

• What makes for a valuable name?

Someone else wants it! :D

Seriously though may be:

Vanity - my name, my street etc. (I just sold someone their surname - I picked it up on a "drop" after they forgot to renew and it was one hunch that paid off!).

Desireable - my football team, my pop/sports hero etc.

Useful - eg applicable to an organisation eg "drugline.org", "childline.org", "outwardbound.org" "ibm.com" :D.

Descriptive - camerarepairs.com, photographer.com (so useful for business leads).

Rare - 2-letter .com/net/org, 3-letter.com (some) - single words e.g sex.com.

Traffic - Huge type-in traffic leading customers to your site or earning you pay-per-click revenue.

Those are just some guides as to what makes a name of value (not necessarily valuable), it is not a definitive list and someone somewhere will argue - value is sometimes like beauty - in the eye of the beholder!!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To some, a domain name is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it, besides the traffic, the 2 letter.com's, etc. ANY domain if correctly marketed & used in search engines right can make u a decent living & sometimes more.:yes:

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

This whole forum IS the Help/FAQ section.:D

Exactly! The questions mentioned are perfect for the forum. An FAQ would be more along the lines of "I can't log in", etc...

Use the forum rprosser, you have 90% of the domain world at your disposal.

:D

rprosser

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am using the forums, but it seems to me that there are (or could be) many Frequently Asked Questions, and it would make sense to collate them all in one place. Many other sites do this, so I don't see why this one should be an exception.

Cheers ...

rprosser

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So how do you market names, and how do you get two-letter ones?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You may try asking your questions in the MISC forum.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Richard, I tend to agree with you.

I think FAQs are easier to look through than hundreds or thousands of threads.

I couldn't find one of my own threads, so did a search for a character string which I knew was in the subject. And the search produced no results :(

(I later found it by looking through my subscribed to threads, but this is beside the point.)

Maybe the subject matter is so wide that a FAQ might be hard to produce and manage.

But if there are folk who are prepared to set it up and maintain it, I would say go for it.

What do others think?

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. In fact, I specifically LOOKED for this FAQ thread before posting a *request* for one the way newbies should look for a Forum FAQ before posting a question that has been answered a million times.

It's not a difficult concept. I wouldn't mind helping to put one together. I do not think this subject is that wide. ALSO the site could do with a GLOSSARY as well.

Some example questions:
EXPIRED NAMES:
1.) The whois for the domain I'm looking at says X for a STATUS, what does that mean?
2.) Why does Internic.net show one date for the domain name whois expiration date, and everywhere else, it shows that it expires a year earlier?

Etc.

DomainNames is a MUCH smaller topic than Javascript programming, and there is an EXCELLENT Javascript language FAQ right here that can be modelled from at IRT.ORG.
http://developer.irt.org/faq.htm

Here are vbHacks for FAQs:
FaqBot/TomBot -
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48743
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48291
An artificially intellgent Bot that answers naturally phrased questions to people on the forum. Screeshot
FaqEdit - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27733
Basic Faq system

Here are vbHacks for Glossaries:
vbGlossary - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34385

Some good stuff, and it would certainly make the forum even more of a popular stand out than it already is. I'm working on similar stuff for FreeWho.com, but having these things integrated with a messageboard is a much more ideal and interactivity-rich set-up. Greg, let me know if you'd like any help with this if you're interested in pursuing or evaluating it further. I can set up a demo.

As for *content*, I would probably agree with the unspoken note that possibly some answers are to be seen as "proprietary info" and creating a "one-stop-shop" for the information is probably not desireable by most folks. There *are* questions however that are much more basic like the ones I noted above.

The objective wouldn't be to cut down the random chatter and posts in the forum, but to provide another valuable resource for members. Also, I feel bad when posts like this one ( Click Here or even this common one Click Here) are chiefly left alone because most people have either answered or seen the answer a million times. I've seen a number of people ask the same question in a few different ways, right after each other... That's probably not the best way to go.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom