Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Help Me with Ideas to Develop Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashdun

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have several domains that I haven't had time to develop or sell. I'd like to at least get some revenue from PPC coming in, but would like to fully develop some of them.

Here is a list of what I have and ideas. Give me your opinion on how much they will cost to develop versus the potential revenue.

namesteer.com - I think the name is catchy. I thought about developing this into a Sedo like site, mainly an automated site for parking domains, but somehow better than the competition. Maybe better revenue sharing, more customizable options, etc.

neverprivate.com - I was thinking about developing apps for android and IOS for parental (or significant other) smartphone tracking (or spying). Some of these apps charge monthly subscriptions and make tons of money. I am open to other ideas since the cost of developing this would be quite a bit.

expressville.com - Not sure here. Many options. Open to suggestions.

expresstown.com - Open to suggestions

turfgood.com - Maybe a forum based on lawncare or directory of lawn care companies. Not sure.

floridasitedesign.com - Maybe a website for a florida based web development company. I originally bought this while living in florida, but since have moved to TN.

toprankeddesign.com - Maybe a reviews site for web design

toprankedhosting.com - Maybe a review site for web hosts with affiliate linking

nov18th.com - Probably will just sell this, maybe someone getting married on the day or something

officialsportsites.com - I'd like to build a directory of all "Official" sites for team sports at the high school, college and professional level. I'd like to have the with streaming audio of available sporting events. Maybe generate revenue from ads here from companies like Nike, Adidas, Under Armour or whomever.

I"ve dabbled very little in adsense and PPC but I'd like to learn more about it.

Any suggestions will be great.... even if it is don't waste my time lol. Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

seikan

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
namesteer.com It sound like a domain registrar/hosting company for me.

neverprivate.com Never Private = Public. Something like a public inbox? Or public chatroom?

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
expresstown.com = for some transport company

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Neverprivate, the next Wikileaks if ya wanna go that far... ;)

Nov18th, a lot of good history behind it. Could go with a minisite of

1988 – War on Drugs: U.S. President Ronald
Reagan signs a bill into law allowing the death
penalty for drug traffickers.

To legalization in Colorado...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_18 - just pick what most interests you about that date, look at CPC and searches then start writing... free.

Your namesteer idea isn't out of the ballpark, but you need a feed or a feed of someone's feed. More than likely a jointventure with someone if you wanna go that route as you need massive traffic, all you have is a brandable domain. Domain reseller?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend picking the project first, based on what will work commercially, what you can realistically do yourself at the moment, and what you'd like to work on.

After you've evaluated the project, then think about naming it.

Too often, domainers try to invent projects to justify domains they've bought. But is it really worth spending weeks or months or years working on something just because you spent 60 seconds thinking about a name once and then registered it before knowing for sure why?

I'm not criticizing your domains necessarily. I just think domainers think about development backwards. Pick a project that the world needs. Then go from there.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've got a name and your trying to make a site for it. I ALWAYS do the opposite. I get an idea for a site, then I get the name.

As for advertising, you would need a lot of visitors to make any money...something that you can't do overnight for little cost.

I don't think any of your names have any value. Make a site about something you are interested in. You should be able to get a half-decent name for it.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bravo, Charles Sweeney!

That's the same advice I find myself giving domainers over and over and over again. Don't look for ideas to justify the existence of domains you've bought. Just because you spent $10 or $20 on something that's gathering dust does NOT mean you should dedicate hundreds of hours or years of your life to a business model you're not excited about and which may not have any chance for success.

When we're looking for some idea to pair with a domain, the odds are that we'll delude ourselves into thinking the idea is a good one just because we want to prevent the domain from going to waste. And that's a bad way to start a business. Businesses are hard work, and the environment is competitive. You'd be competing against people who started with an IDEA and decided to work on it because it fits their interests and skill set.

Names can suggest ideas. But let other people be inspired and buy them from you.

If you want to start a website or a business, figure out what you'll make succeed. Make sure it can work. Then pick the best domain for it.

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything said above. First come up with an idea, then search for a domain.

That's how I found out about the domain industry. I had a website idea and I came up with a name for it, but when I went to register the name, it was unavailable. I contacted the owner and he wanted $10,000. That's when I knew this industry was something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators