Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Help Wanted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Help us, help you!

help us by Please posting your threads in the proper forum section or sub-forum area.

for newbies, finding their way around is rough, and when they do find a section, seems they post every question they can think of, in that one section.

we have many representatives here from the same services that are used by members on a daily basis. most of those services have their "own" sections here on the forum, so they can respond to your needs.

please use these areas to post your questions for the respective reps to respond. this will help keep the forum organized and make searching for referencing easier.

for members who've been here long enough to post a sales thread....PLEASE post your thread in the proper sub-forum.

for instance, today i moved or closed at least 15 threads from "Domains for Sale/ Fixed Price Above $100" section because:

1. most of the threads had prices lower than $100
2. many of the threads started out with prices under $100!

Please remember, that section is "Fixed Price" not the "Put a price and drop it every other day section"!

so, if you posted in this section and you find your thread closed or moved, then you'll know why.

Please make the effort to properly utilize the areas of the forum, that have been enabled for your benefit.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Haha, like your thinking!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't mind posting in the right forum.

Then someone decides it is better in another forum.

So I later post in that forum.

Then it is moved again and put in another forum.

So I post in that forum.

Then I get an infraction.

No sweat - just post it where you all want it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you guys can take the suggestions in jest if you wish, but they were offered to help you.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you guys can take the suggestions in jest if you wish, but they were offered to help you.
I hardly think moving my threads from place to place to place and then posting in one of those places and getting an infraction is jest. Do you?

If the forum wants to confuse the hell out of me, then I'm game.

My guilty plea comes with the notion that I was posting in the proper place.

I survived for years with out this forum and likely to continue.

Infractions are not the issue here. It is simply going by and following the rules and thinking I am doing the right thing only to find out that someone or a mod has issues with it.

----------
Attention grabbing headlines:

What a crying shame.

Isn't it something that someone with a background in advertising would know how to get attention.

What a crime

---------------------
Bold and large type to call attention to KEY POINTS.

Again, what a damn crime and a crying shame for some.

---------------------

It almost make me want to throw a pity party for those that complain.

Boo hoo hoo - Doc is getting attention and his threads are getting attention.

Boo hoo hoo.

Okay.

Done.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nobody cares whether you get attention or not, you can put flashing lights on your head and blow ballooons out your butt for all i care.

but using size 7 fonts in posts is totally unnecessary.

if the information you post is interesting and credible, then larger font size and colored letters is not needed

also, since you want to put your biz on front street....

the infraction was not because of where the thread was created, but because you continued to put the "Full Story" link directed to your personal website, even after i asked you not to promote your websites in any Discussion forum.

you know the guidelines about promoting your personal websites, but for some reason, you felt that you were above the rules because you figured the urgent news/story was more important.

i have no personal issue with you or anyone here, i'm just asking for some help.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
nobody cares whether you get attention or not, you can put flashing lights on your head and blow ballooons out your butt for all i care.

if the information you post is interesting and credible, then larger font size and colored letters is not needed

the infraction was not because of where the thread was created, but because you continued to put the "Full Story" link directed to your personal website, even after i asked you not to promote your websites in any Discussion forum.

you know the guidelines about promoting your personal websites, but for some reason, you felt that you were above the rules because you figured the urgent news/story was more important.

i have no personal issue with you or anyone here, i'm just asking for some help.

Don, a little story for you, in case you don't remember.

Back in 2002, when Dan started DNForum, he ran the vBulletin by himself, then hired some moderators. Rules were in place for the usual things but nobody tweaked the vBulletin settings.

So I started using an image in my signature, with a fully dressed but buxom lady image, promoting my 3-char .com sales :D The signature, as you know, is attached to every post one makes.

And I post a lot.

People started complaining about seeing my signature image. Not about the image itself, but because they had to "deal" with my image. So the mods - the 3 "amigos" that then left and formed DomainState after their "coup d'etat" fell through, instead of tweaking vBulletin to turn images in signatures off, they banned me.

You're following this "old school", outdated moderation here. I know, you're a great person and you've said that I am "cool" and all that. But if you're going to give infractions because Gerry here used size 7 fonts, that's not cool. Unless you turn that feature off in the editor, you're causing unreasonable moderation and restricting a feature that's there for a reason: to emphasize the parts of a chunk of text that its writer wants emphasized.

In another thread, I spoke of progress and change and evolution; you told me you don't care if I spoke to Adam or dropped by his house or whatever.
I raised the issue and I am waiting on an answer from Adam. I think some moderators need to be refreshed; take a crash course in "web 2.0" handling of such circumstances.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don, a little story for you, in case you don't remember.

Back in 2002, when Dan started DNForum, he ran the vBulletin by himself, then hired some moderators. Rules were in place for the usual things but nobody tweaked the vBulletin settings.

So I started using an image in my signature, with a fully dressed but buxom lady image, promoting my 3-char .com sales :D The signature, as you know, is attached to every post one makes.

And I post a lot.

People started complaining about seeing my signature image. Not about the image itself, but because they had to "deal" with my image. So the mods - the 3 "amigos" that then left and formed DomainState after their "coup d'etat" fell through, instead of tweaking vBulletin to turn images in signatures off, they banned me.

You're following this "old school", outdated moderation here. I know, you're a great person and you've said that I am "cool" and all that. But if you're going to give infractions because Gerry here used size 7 fonts, that's not cool. Unless you turn that feature off in the editor, you're causing unreasonable moderation and restricting a feature that's there for a reason: to emphasize the parts of a chunk of text that its writer wants emphasized.

In another thread, I spoke of progress and change and evolution; you told me you don't care if I spoke to Adam or dropped by his house or whatever.
I raised the issue and I am waiting on an answer from Adam. I think some moderators need to be refreshed; take a crash course in "web 2.0" handling of such circumstances.

what happened to make Ds evolve is not the issue here, and please READ what the circumstances were and why Doc got the infraction again.

it had nothing to do with font size.

also, one shouldn't have to disable a feature, because others use it in excess.

i can appreciate your 2.0 cents worth of add-in to the conversation, but if you are not offering any help keep the forum organized, then... what's your point?

but what gets me is, how you put yourself in a position tell someone they may need mod refresher courses....

what domain forums have you moderated or not been banned from?

:rolleyes:

and "old school" is still in fashion, in case you didn't know....
maybe you should get a refresher course :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Interesting response.

Apparently somebody(ies) do care and you and those peeps were vocal about it.

I am not slamming you but I will address these points you raised.

The thread(s) moved around by mods or Admin (with great frequency lately) had my head spinning at to what, where, how.

The blog is rather new to me and to all. So no - I was not clear on the rules as to where to post when I would post a story and a link only to have it moved.

This blank feed response,

We moved one of your threads to 'Gold Cafe', which is not only a better location

We moved one of your threads to 'Politics/Controversial

Tells me nothing as to why it was moved nor does it tell me what thread was moved.

And I don't know why you want to tell people you were the one who doled out the infraction when I made a generalized statement that needed addressing -

What is with all the thread changing and relocation?

And nice of you to think that I view myself above the rules simply based on a mistake in not knowing were to post a particular story, event, or news.

Make no mistake, I enjoy DNF (most of the time) but for years I got by with out it and can continue to do so. Now I know that breaks you and many people up and tears are flowing.

If using size 7 fonts is un-nessary to highlight key points, then don't make it an option. I say it was necessary, you say it was not, you win so you change the font size.

If the font size option is removed, then you and the forum win. Again.

So don't sit there and tell me in your mind it was un-necessary when I say I felt it was. It is nothing more than opinions and I doubt there is a rule to advise all members that your opinion does not matter if a mod disagrees with it.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue with blogs - many people were posting (well, some still do) their own blogs as official news. Unfortunately, there is a fine line between an official news source (AP, Reuters, CNN, Yahoo News, etc..) and people's personal blogs. Yes, people post news too but they are not regulated by the same guidelines as "official" news sources (see above examples).

Plus, it's slightly abusing the forum's position to post your own site as an official news source (intentionally or unintentionally).

The general rule is, if you're asking people to do something that would benefit you (either though your services, traffic to your sites, monetarily, etc..) it should go into the advertising section (as long as the poster is a platinum or exclusive member).

Personally - when I move a post I try to leave a 24 hour redirect so it still shows in the initial forum but when it is clicked on you're taken to the post in the correct forum.

It was also expressed to us (the mods) that you were asked (or told?) to post your blog entires in the advertising section before any points were issued.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was also expressed to us (the mods) that you were asked (or told?) to post your blog entires in the advertising section before any points were issued.
Lord, I don't even remember where it was posted to begin with or which post it was.

That is not even an issue here (infractions).

The issue is the plea for help to post in the right forum or sub forum when the threads are moved. Was one of my blog posts (or two or three) taken out of the advertising section and moved? Moved to controversial/political.

There is only a blanket computer generated post to announce the moving yet nothing more to go on.

A server, computer, or what ever is not intuitive enough to know that this thread belongs here or here.

The decision to move was made by a person. That person then made the change and initiated a computer generated response.

Sure, I could go back and look at all the thread I started (and do) only to find that a change has been made to one of the threads and it has been relocated - WHY?

So back to topic -

Why is there a thread to plea to ensure the threads are posted in the right forum sub forum when we think we have done the right thing but somebody thinks differently.

Some of these issues are clear and obvious but apparently many are determined by the opinions of some.

oh, there are more example (such as one's determination to close a thread) but we'll discuss that another time.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
what happened to make Ds evolve is not the issue here, and please READ what the circumstances were and why Doc got the infraction again.

it had nothing to do with font size.

also, one shouldn't have to disable a feature, because others use it in excess.

i can appreciate your 2.0 cents worth of add-in to the conversation, but if you are not offering any help keep the forum organized, then... what's your point?

but what gets me is, how you put yourself in a position tell someone they may need mod refresher courses....

what domain forums have you moderated or not been banned from?

:rolleyes:

and "old school" is still in fashion, in case you didn't know....
maybe you should get a refresher course :)

Don, I've moderated DomainGator.com when it had a forum, from 2002 to 2004. It was the 2nd oldest domain forum after DNForum.

I've never been banned at NamePros. Because despite what most believe, there is no micromanagement there.

Sorry, but when you point your "old school" finger at me, 4 fingers point back at you.

Old school is not in fashion, my friend. You can argue all day long but when people want to conduct business they don't need unnecessary restrictions that touch on the editing layouts of their posts. Discussions and content are great to have; one needs to allow entrepreneurs to do what they know best:

Create & innovate.

The early DNForum/DomainState story I used as an example of how extreme moderation can stifle progress.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, if you read my original post, it was more about sales threads and other threads that relate to services used by domainers in general, like the ppc services sections and the various domain sellers sub-sections.
when people post topics about godaddy, snap, parked, namejet, sedo etc in Genral Discussion or Newbie section, rather than using those respective sub-forum areas where the reps there can provide reponses.

this also helps to keep topics relating to those services in one general area for review and reference.

you brought up the issue about your own thread/threads being moved, not me

and we may be talking about more than one thread of yours, one which i modded and maybe some others that another staff member may have took action on.

though i still feel that size 6 -7 font is unnecessary to get a point across, because it like shouting at your readers.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Here lies the problem: Don is more conservative - hence my use of "old school" - and wants things ultra organized & moves threads to the appropriate forums or closes posts unrelated to a forum. Fair enough.

Other moderators might be less prone to "stack up" these posts perfectly and perhaps leave things as they are or move posts *back* to where they were originally posted.

Hence the confusion that Doc Com experienced as there is no indication why a post was moved from A to B to C to A point.

About the font stylization, am I allowed to use Verdana only? :D

Just a joke, Don. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, if you read my original post, it was more about sales threads and other threads that relate to services used by domainers in general, like the ppc services sections and the various domain sellers sub-sections.
when people post topics about godaddy, snap, parked, namejet, sedo etc in Genral Discussion or Newbie section, rather than using those respective sub-forum areas where the reps there can provide reponses.

this also helps to keep topics relating to those services in one general area for review and reference.

you brought up the issue about your own thread/threads being moved, not me

and we may be talking about more than one thread of yours, one which i modded and maybe some others that another staff member may have took action on.

though i still feel that size 6 -7 font is unnecessary to get a point across, because it like shouting at your readers.
What do ya' say - move this thread to political/controversial?

Keeping this in suggestions/feedback?

No one has been able to supply reason for moving one thread or another.

It is "we thought is would be best...."

The it was more about sales post was not used as an example or a point until nearly the end of your post.

Honestly, you and I got better things to do than pointing out the points of each others posts/thoughts/thread.

When all said and done we are both going to believe I am right, he is wrong, I made my case, I win.

Mod or no mod, that is going to be the belief each of us goes away with.

Just like a domain appraisal...it is all a matter of opinion.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On the topic of Don and moving threads, I recently started an IDN sale thread where people were buying domains, and then out of the blue Don moved it into the IDN sale section, and effectively killed the thread on the spot. I asked if it could be moved back into the Fixed Prices $100 and Under section, and Don sent me a system generated response citing some obscure losely applicable rule.

Not sure about old school vs new school, but it was definitely a bit dickish if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom